Author Topic: Auction UK: RF Heaven, albeit a bit crusty  (Read 17662 times)

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Auction UK: RF Heaven, albeit a bit crusty
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 10:40:46 pm »
I think most of the stuff is so old the market is largely amateurs. Exceptions being things like the simple power supplies, which are kinda timeless.
I agree. Pretty crusty.  If you are local and starting out then it could be worth it... I have a Dana counter, HP Logic Analyser etc..  and it works for me.  You just need a big bench!  :)

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2019, 03:31:05 pm »
OK I have decided not to bother...

If I was going to bid I would...

#64 Waveform Monitors... rather like those
#137 Bus Exerciser  No idea what it does but I like the flashing lights
#141 Who doesn't love a Data IO Universal Programmer
#184 Logic Pattern Generator  a classic from the 1979 HP catalog... well worth a tear down
#272 More modules for my Stag programmer
#288 Another Stag Z module and some very expensive looking FET probes
#363 Misc Equipment... well who doesn't love a pile of misc junk

Feel free to buy any of these and flog them to me on EBAY

:)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2019, 07:26:31 pm »
It'll turn up on ebay with better pictures and a return policy soon enough. Don't sweat it  :-DD

Yeah, uh, I may have bought, you know, one or two hundred items. So there's a fair chance that stuff will end up on the 'Bay.

That being said, I'll have to arrange transportation for this stuff. So if some of you bought something and you can't find a local Good Samaritan to help you out, I'll be happy to.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2019, 07:41:19 pm »
A lot of stuff went cheaply; I don't know how much I've bought since some of it was "yellow", i.e. below minimum but vendor might acquiesce. In that specific case they would be a twat not to!

I didn't spot any bids for the stag programmer stuff. I wonder if it will be tipped.

More sane than I expected. There was 5 minute popcorn bidding, despite there being no mention of it. A couple of days ago, the end time marked on each item was the auction end time. That mutated to a staggered end time.

Less sane that I expected. The "you have been outbid" emails were late. I'm going to ask them about the discrepancy between the £71 and £80 in the screenshot below.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:43:51 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2019, 07:49:06 pm »
+1 for hoping yellow will be green.. Happens most of the time, though. Suppose it depends on the seller but still.

Also: never trust mails to warn you in time. And that 71/80£ stuff is seriously weird.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2019, 09:02:19 pm »
Overall they didn't seem to shift a large percentage of what they had.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2019, 11:41:09 pm »
Also: never trust mails to warn you in time.

Of course. But this is the only online auction where I've noticed a delay, and it isn't even as if there were a lot of bidders.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2019, 12:16:35 pm »
Good God.. *all* my pending items have been declined!

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2019, 12:30:06 pm »
Their customer service is awful, I can't get anybody to reply to emails. I paid my invoice yesterday via wire transfer, "my equipnet" is still showing as I need to pay my invoice. Have they made you a counter offer at all for the pending items ?

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2019, 12:50:23 pm »
Me to, none of the yellow items accepted.

Mind you, for the one green item I have paid the invoice, so now have to drive 250 miles to collect one item costing £5.

I am not sure I understand their business model, what are they going to do with the unsold items now, another auction?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2019, 01:04:41 pm »
My single "yellow" item was declined too. I've sent email asking how much the vendor would accept.

I did a wire transfer Monday morning. It hasn't shown up on the accounts page yet.

Strangely there are two entries on the my purchases page, one for £X, one for £Y, Y<<X. The PDFs are identical and for £X+Y, which is the amount in the emails and the amount I transferred.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2019, 01:08:42 pm »
Following this one. Interesting. I bet what's going to happen is Equipnet didn't get as much cash on the books as they promised to the upstream clearance dudes and they're duking it out at the moment and ignoring the clients.

This will no doubt be two people who don't actually know what any of the kit is in a rented office somewhere in rural backwater industrial estate who spend 50% of their time outside smoking.

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2019, 01:39:14 pm »
They've just confirmed my payment, so looks like they are slowly working through it.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2019, 02:16:27 pm »
They've just confirmed my payment, so looks like they are slowly working through it.

Mine too. Haven't received the collection instructions yet.

My enquiry about my yellow item has been forwarded to the "auctions department".

I concur with bd139's assessment w.r.t. "discussions" with the client. IMHO the client shouldn't have pulled the auction in the first place!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2019, 04:13:00 pm »
Just had a phone call from Equipnet w.r.t. my "yellow" item; seller is willing to consider offers.

Naturally I asked the seller's boundary for yellow/green. Answer was a bit vague, almost 4* my bid. I said that, since item seen unpowered it was quite a risk, so upped my bid to half the nominal minimum. They will get back.

We'll see - but it might be worth sending an email to equipnet about your items that were declined.

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2019, 07:31:03 pm »
It seems that Equipnet have got caught between the buyers, us, and a rather dim seller, who?

I get 45p mile travel money so I will have a nice slow drive across the country, A5 looks the best bet, to collect my lot.

I got the impression that whoever was lotting and talking to the seller knew nothing about electronics, I mean, HP 8005A  pulse gens, from the 1960's, the 7603's split form the plug ins, the ancient logic analysers. Oh well I shan't be bothering except at the prices I bid.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2019, 07:56:27 pm »
It seems that Equipnet have got caught between the buyers, us, and a rather dim seller, who?
the 7603's split form the plug ins

ISTR seeing BAe on something, but that might be a faulty neuron, and there could be an intermediary. Owners often think things are more valuable than other people.

As for lotting, that's a strange art. My mother wanted to sell many small pieces of glassware collected by my father. The auctioneer decided to group them according to colour. It worked as well as anything.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2019, 08:40:55 pm »
ISTR seeing BAe on something, but that might be a faulty neuron, and there could be an intermediary.
Quite a few pictures had GEC clearly visible, so the stuff is probably from a GEC site that was absorbed by BAe.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2019, 08:52:28 am »
Just had another phone call from equipnet, asking if I will pick it up. Yet another person will contact me to arrange details.

Pickup is unlikely to be before Christmas, due to the volume of stuff to shift.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2019, 09:01:44 am »
I'm allergic to hassle. This company is hassle.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2019, 09:40:09 am »
I'm allergic to hassle. This company is hassle.

It isn't entirely clear how much the source is Equipnet or the company with the equipment. Pulling the auction at short notice tends to indicate the latter. Either way, equipnet haven't shielded the punters.

TBH I'd rather wait until after Christmas; too much to do before then - I keep having Life Thrust Upon Me.

A very secondary decision is whether to get a modulation domain analyser. There's one available for a reasonable price, but it is a big boat 24kg anchor. Not sure the wood lintels(!) would stand another thing that weight.

Offline pbarton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2019, 10:37:15 am »
Just had a phone call from Equipnet w.r.t. my "yellow" item; seller is willing to consider offers.

Naturally I asked the seller's boundary for yellow/green. Answer was a bit vague, almost 4* my bid. I said that, since item seen unpowered it was quite a risk, so upped my bid to half the nominal minimum. They will get back.

We'll see - but it might be worth sending an email to equipnet about your items that were declined.
That's good advice regarding the 'yellow' items.
Just heard that Equipnet have sent off 100+ ‘yellow’ bids to the seller.
Yellow bidders will hear more the start of next week.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2019, 12:38:06 pm »
Deadline for yellow bids is apparently next week wednesday.

I think I'm gonna have the green ones picked up already. If anyone needs a hand in picking up and forwarding, now is the time.

Kris

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2019, 01:57:27 pm »
I've dealt with EquipNet more times than I'm willing to admit (greets from your local TEA), and I've had a reasonable/good experience so far. I prefer them slightly over Go-Dove, but to be honest it doesn't make a big difference once the gear arrives and the money is gone. :)

Yes, the "yellow" system sucks. I've been lucky with this a few times - in 2017 I've bought a couple of NI PXIE-5645R Vector Signal Transceivers, reserve was $2000 each, and I was highest bidder for $400 each. They asked me if I'm willing to pay the $2000, I said "no, that's too much and they are sold as-it", and they accepted and I got them for $400. Other times yellow items just disappeared.

Anyway - in the off-chance that someone from here bought the stack of 7 N6733B (I have no idea why they would sell them as one pack; who would ever need 7 of those?) - I'd be very interested in sharing/splitting if someone wants to recover costs.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2019, 04:43:21 pm »
Anyway - in the off-chance that someone from here bought the stack of 7 N6733B (I have no idea why they would sell them as one pack; who would ever need 7 of those?) - I'd be very interested in sharing/splitting if someone wants to recover costs.

One of my yellow lots. So, PM me on Wednesday to figure out if I got them or not. As to who would need them: one who'd be interested to sell them for a profit ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf