Author Topic: Auction UK: RF Heaven, albeit a bit crusty  (Read 17452 times)

Offline NivagSwerdnaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Auction UK: RF Heaven, albeit a bit crusty
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2020, 10:29:39 am »
"Last Chance - Bid Packets Due ASAP!"

I did submit a bid packet for the junk that I was after (nobody seemed to bid last time on those items... Stag programmer accessories etc..) and threw in a couple of random items.  I bid really low and I am hoping to not win  :-DD

By adding an item that is likely to be bidded on by someone else I think it unlikely my collection of junk will win.

Anybody else bidding?

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2020, 10:49:26 am »
My goodness, what a struggle. I created a bid packet with lots of items, but then couldn't submit it, the box just had a circle with a bar picture.

What amazes me is that there seems to be no way of getting a simple text listing of the items, or a simple text listing with bid amounts of your bid packet. Also if you don't enter a value for one lot it doesn't tell you.

So, not bothering, no one has replied to my emails in the last week and a half, so leave all the bargains to you!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2020, 11:21:23 am »
"Last Chance - Bid Packets Due ASAP!"

I did submit a bid packet for the junk that I was after (nobody seemed to bid last time on those items... Stag programmer accessories etc..) and threw in a couple of random items.  I bid really low and I am hoping to not win  :-DD

By adding an item that is likely to be bidded on by someone else I think it unlikely my collection of junk will win.

Anybody else bidding?

I've done the same, and am also hoping not to win :) I was looking at some lots that included programmers, but I don't think I've included them in my final bid. We'll communicate about what, if anything we win.

I have no idea how they will determine who gets what; I suspect they don't, apart from minimising the hassle to themselves.

They rang me yesterday to answer a question (why not email it?), and they don't know what will happen if coronavirus intervenes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2020, 07:38:00 pm »
I got some voicemail asking if I have received an email about my yellow bids and if I wanted to raise the price to the reserve... I haven't got an email so I have no idea what they are talking about... also... I thought the point of the bid packet was all or none... hope I haven't miscalculated there!

There will probably be a travel ban anyway by the time this is sorted.... so even more hoping not to win... won't be increasing my offer

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2020, 09:44:52 pm »
Gawd, what a shower.

I have neither an email nor a voicemail, but I was exceptionally cheapskate.

In this climate I wouldn't increase an offer.

Having said that, I've just bought a voltage reference (which will self-isolate in the garage for a week after it gets here) and sold a Tek scope :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2020, 09:04:43 am »
I thought the yellow/green traffic light thing was for the last auction. They do seem to be behind the curve a bit as I still get calls responding to questions I asked about the first of these auctions. Long after it has finished.

I did put a packet bid in for some stuff,  not heard anything yet either way.

I would imagine though that the current situation has thrown a spanner in the works. I know a lot of business that are only operating at fraction of their capacity, if they are in work at all.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2020, 09:35:46 am »
Well my email server doesn't trust their email server...

Mar 21 14:15:18 **** postfix/smtpd[4727]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from 50-200-96-175-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net[50.200.96.175]: 450 4.7.1 <e2016b.eqpnet.lan>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<****@equipnet.com> to=<*******> proto=ESMTP helo=<e2016b.eqpnet.lan>

... and sadly their email server doesn't trust my email server since somehow PlusNet put my IP range back into the SpamHaus PBL but that is resolved now after appealing last night.

Mar 22 20:04:08 **** postfix/smtp[28365]: B5D12161737: to=<*****@equipnet.com>, relay=mail.equipnet.com[50.200.96.179]:25, delay=3.9, delays=0.02/0.07/1.2/2.6, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mail.equipnet.com[50.200.96.179] said: 554 Service unavailable; Client host [****.plus.com] blocked by zen.spamhaus.org; https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/**.**.**.** (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I could add e2016b.eqpnet.lan as a trusted name... but I'm not sure I should since really it is their side that is misconfigured.

That old nagging doubt says.... don't touch with a barge pole.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2020, 04:37:32 pm »
I've just has an invoice from this shower for one of the items in the bid packet I submitted.

That's despite an explicit statement that I would win either all or none of the items.

The invoice is for a grand total of £1.24.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2020, 04:54:38 pm »
That's despite an explicit statement that I would win either all or none of the items.
Oh dear. 

None of their emails have got through to me yet but I am expecting to receive something similar.

I added...

Code: [Select]
# Crappy sender cannot get their headers correct
/^[eE]2016[abAB]\.eqpnet\.lan$/ OK
to my /etc/postfix/helo_access.pcre so maybe it will get through now

For the LOLs... What did you buy for £1.24!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2020, 05:05:56 pm »
My Invoice came through... I won 8 lots... basically all the crap and the decent stuff has disappeared.

Not sure how to collect though since we are in lockdown!

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2020, 05:26:53 pm »
Scored quitte some items.

If you can't work it out, PM me. I can have yours picked up with mine and reship from my place.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2020, 05:32:16 pm »
If you can't work it out, PM me. I can have yours picked up with mine and reship from my place.
You are in Belgium?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2020, 05:42:56 pm »
Yes, so it depends a bit. If you have some large, heavy items it probably doesn't make much sense. But I have good relations with packagers in the UK, adding a few items won't make a ton of difference and I have a DPD acount to ship it back to you. May sound silly, but it might still make sense.

Chech what your options are and let me know if you want me to look into it. Don't wait too long, though..

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2020, 10:24:27 am »
Even though I never submitted a bid packet I just received an invoice!

One item.

One of my email queries was how to print out a simple text list of all the lots and my bid packet to make sure I hadn't bid £5000 on something.

Amazing, how on earth did the Americans get to the moon?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:14 am »
Well, same remark for you: if you want, i can probably help with logistics.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2020, 11:37:02 am »
I will have to pick up my stuff in person... just not sure how that can be achieved given the current virus situation.

I emailed them but got no response.  I will pay the invoice as it is a small amount. 

I could probably collect a couple of items for others (if they are small) if that helped but I have no intention of travelling for the foreseeable future.  I'll let you know when I hear the collection policy.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2020, 11:38:27 am »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2020, 11:53:00 am »
I will have to pick up my stuff in person... just not sure how that can be achieved given the current virus situation.

I emailed them but got no response.  I will pay the invoice as it is a small amount. 

I could probably collect a couple of items for others (if they are small) if that helped but I have no intention of travelling for the foreseeable future.  I'll let you know when I hear the collection policy.

Yup, that's the key point. I asked their staff member when they phoned me before I placed the bid (and CV was merely looming), and they said they didn't know.

My items are small, and I may have an arrangement with Ice-tea in place.

I'll PM you the email of the individual to whom my question was forwarded.

Offline pbarton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2020, 03:10:49 pm »
After I had given up any hope, an invoice arrived today.
In their wisdom they have deemed to accept two, out of my three line items, within the 'sealed bid' offer. They dropped the most feature laden item!
I'm surprised that they can pick elements from the 'bid packet'. I too thought that they would accept everything, or nothing.
I will probably drive to collect (assuming that the roads remain open). Date to be determined.
I may be able to assist with moving equipment towards, their new owners.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 04:07:55 pm by pbarton »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »
The reason they pick items is because they are below the reserve. No doubt in the small print somewhere ;)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2020, 05:13:16 pm »
The reason they pick items is because they are below the reserve. No doubt in the small print somewhere ;)

I could not find any small print definition of a "sealed bid packet". That's why I explicitly asked the question.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2020, 05:50:49 pm »
I suspect my query emails are not getting through as I have had no replies and I'm pretty convinced that all communication prior to my change to my local mail server has also gone missing which might explain a lot.  I will pay my invoice by bank transfer and see what happens.

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2020, 08:26:54 pm »
It was my understanding too that with the sealed bid packet, you bid on several items and you either won everything you bid on, or nothing at all. There was no mention of a reserve on any of it this time.

My packet  bid was £1,500 but I haven't had an invoice, so I guess I didnt win anything. Obviously makes more sense to them to sell odd bits and pieces for £1.24 or whatever it was lol.

They really are a shower..

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2020, 08:34:22 pm »
Even though I never submitted a bid packet I just received an invoice!

One item.

One of my email queries was how to print out a simple text list of all the lots and my bid packet to make sure I hadn't bid £5000 on something.

Amazing, how on earth did the Americans get to the moon?

How on earth did they manage to send you an invoice for something you haven't bid on !?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf