General > Buy/Sell/Wanted

BE WARY OF SCAMMERS - PROTECT YOURSELF.

<< < (4/5) > >>

5U4GB:

--- Quote from: Bicurico on September 11, 2023, 09:50:26 am ---And suddenly, it seems he has test equipment with very low starting prices and the English description (red flag #1, as the store is otherwise in French) only mentions the buy it now price (red flag #2, there is no buy it now option, it is only in the description). Finally, the items are located in California, US, instead of France (red flag #3).

--- End quote ---

That's a common fraud pattern, take over an account with a high positive feedback rating, use it to scam people until you get shut down, lather, rinse, repeat.  So the thing to watch out for is an established account that's sold X in the past and is now selling Y at suspiciously low prices, which is almost always a scammer that's taken over a legit account.

nigelwright7557:
Even ebay has its scammers despite being on a money back guarantee forum.
The "I received an empty box" scam.
The "I didnt receive anything" on none tracked items scam.
The "sending back different item" scam.

I sold some audio gear on ebay.
Buyer said he wasnt happy with it so I got him to send it back.
Received a lump of wood full of nails sticking out !
He kept original item, got refunded and left me negative feedback.
I got the police involved due to offensive item.
They went to see him and his wife said she had sent it !
So he got off and she got a formal warning.

Runco990:
It's truly sad scammers are invading absolutely everything.  I am listing a few of my excess test gear now that I'm downsizing, but at the same time it goes BOTH ways.  I am hesitant to accept anything other than Paypal friends and family to protect MYSELF from just giving my stuff away.  I have also been scammed the other way around.

Having said that, I don't post much, I mostly read, so my post count is "low". 
But I have no problem verifying my address, etc. in PM.  Obviously I don't want to post my info on open forums due to data mining... and .... for more scammers to see.

So I hope my posts will be considered and you actually contact me.  I also welcome in-person visits if you live nearby.

It's a shame I have to post this....  but I get it.  Good luck out there.

W3SLK:
RikV said:
--- Quote ---I got tricked in a scam! Stupid I am!
I was contacted by "Maxcast" who invited me to contact "edwardcolton@gmail.com" saying that he probably had what I wanted.
Indeed, Colton (or whatever his name is) confirmed he had an "option  C" available. We agreed on a price.
Then he proposed to pay with Paypall insisting on the option "family and friends". So I did.
At that time I should have felt something was wrong: I never gave my shipping addres, he didn't ask  for it! Also the money was transferred to a different account: kingsleyjohnyy@gmail.com.
Afterwards I found out that by paying "family and friends" you discard the money back guarantee from Paypal.

So, here I am. A disillusion richer(?) but still no prescaler for my 8640!
--- End quote ---
Don't feel bad! I think I just got taken on the same scam! Schurminater75 shilled for Henry Grout saying he had a part for my HP606A. Same deal Paypal F&F  to lenapillenger@outlook.com The red flags went up at that but I did it anyway. I'm only out $25 but I wish I would have caught your message first! Misery loves company!
Edit: I may have been saved by American Express. They questioned the charge and said when it posts they will go to bat for me with Paypal.

Halcyon:

--- Quote from: W3SLK on February 06, 2024, 08:11:09 pm ---RikV said:
--- Quote ---I got tricked in a scam! Stupid I am!
I was contacted by "Maxcast" who invited me to contact "edwardcolton@gmail.com" saying that he probably had what I wanted.
Indeed, Colton (or whatever his name is) confirmed he had an "option  C" available. We agreed on a price.
Then he proposed to pay with Paypall insisting on the option "family and friends". So I did.
At that time I should have felt something was wrong: I never gave my shipping addres, he didn't ask  for it! Also the money was transferred to a different account: kingsleyjohnyy@gmail.com.
Afterwards I found out that by paying "family and friends" you discard the money back guarantee from Paypal.

So, here I am. A disillusion richer(?) but still no prescaler for my 8640!
--- End quote ---
Don't feel bad! I think I just got taken on the same scam! Schurminater75 shilled for Henry Grout saying he had a part for my HP606A. Same deal Paypal F&F  to lenapillenger@outlook.com The red flags went up at that but I did it anyway. I'm only out $25 but I wish I would have caught your message first! Misery loves company!
Edit: I may have been saved by American Express. They questioned the charge and said when it posts they will go to bat for me with Paypal.

--- End quote ---

The user Schurminater75 has been banned. It probably comes as no surprise that his registered email was edwardcolton75@gmail.com. Clearly complete bullshit and fictitious.

Some very good points to come out of this:

* Don't use the "Friends and Family" option in PayPal if you're buying goods and services (personal payments are not covered under their buyer protection policy).
* If approached by a forum member, check their profile. A zero, or low post count is suspicious. Likewise, if your spidey senses are tingling, contact a moderator and we'll do some additional checks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version