General > Buy/Sell/Wanted

BE WARY OF SCAMMERS - PROTECT YOURSELF.

(1/5) > >>

Halcyon:
With the forum becoming increasingly popular, scammers too are getting increasingly more crafty to appear legitimate.

I know not everyone wants to list their items on ebay, however be extremely careful with respect to buying items that are seemingly for sale here. There was a recent instance of a user (with a low post count) claiming to have items for sale, however the images were stolen from an ebay listing. The user claimed to be from the US but his internet provider indicated otherwise. We have also had recent instances of spammers/scammers compromising existing (legitimate) user accounts for nefarious purposes, through leaked credentials.

If you're looking to purchase an item from a forum member, outside of legitimate trading sites and payment platforms, make sure you do your homework and do your own risk assessment first before sending any money to anyone.

Whilst the moderators try to get to reported posts as quickly as possible, we don't review every post that gets made on this forum.
IF YOU LOSE MONEY IN A SCAM, NEITHER DAVE NOR THE MODERATORS CAN HELP YOU, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN.

Please be careful out there!

Sarvesaa:
I once almost fell for it.  I posted a topic in this thread, wanted a signal generator, one guy came and said he is interested in giving his away for 28 bucks just for the postage. But his images were from ebay listings. I asked about the image and he went nuts.

I found the image in the web by using google lens, so you can use google lens to check if the image is already in the web used somewhere else.

Beware.

Rax:
"Steff dushane" is scraping the threads right now trying to peel off some poor souls and sink them into the depths of PayPal or other scamlands.

Bud:
I use same photos of stuff I sell on ebay and local craigslist and swap shops. What is wrong with that? I do not make unique photos for each market place.

EEVblog:
Another scammer caught today.
Same modus operandi:
- zero (or low) post account contacts someone via PM offering for sale something they have been looking for.
- Steals photos from Google or existing ebay listing.
- Knows what the going price is and offers below that to entice you into a bargain

We've had so many of these now. BEWARE.
And for those that have asked to ban PM's for zero post accounts, we tried that and had a lot of complaints from legit users. And they got around it anyway by just posting.
These aren't bots, they are legit human scammers that know how to target.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version