Author Topic: The Bad Shopping Experience Thread  (Read 400491 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: The Bad Shopping Experience Thread
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2020, 03:16:30 am »
This company has an interesting webpage

Not half!

Quote from: TMS webpage
"Why buy used from TMS ?

-Our company has been in business for over 10 years"

Quote from: TMS webpage
"About us

Texas Microwave Surplus was founded in 2016"

Offline eplpwr

• Regular Contributor
  • Junior VoltNut
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2020, 05:41:42 am »
Last weekend PayPal decided that my account with them is "limited". According to their FAQ you're supposed to get an explanation of "why" in an e-mail from them. No such thing.

If you ever try to get in touch with PP, all your mail replies will be auto-generated by a robot that triggers on some stray word in the message header or body.  |O  Every new mail will get the same robotic response. Having your acct limited is like having it terminated but worse.

PP is also the Credit Card processor for eBay, so all transactions with "PP known" CC:s will be denied. Thus, "limited" by PP = no eBay. After some googling, a picture of an ultimately evil company - PayPal - reveals itself.

My chances to communicate with a human at PayPal in the next 10 years is essentially zero. Even their contact forms only allow you to choose from pre-defined topics, no free text for you!

Luckily, I've only used PP for purchases linked to CC:s; I never had funds with PP. If you have funds with PP withdraw them as fast as you can, many people have got their accounts limited/frozen and then PP simply confiscate their funds.

Sigh.  :palm:

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2020, 07:57:51 am »
Last weekend PayPal decided that my account with them is "limited". According to their FAQ you're supposed to get an explanation of "why" in an e-mail from them. No such thing.

If you ever try to get in touch with PP, all your mail replies will be auto-generated by a robot that triggers on some stray word in the message header or body.  |O  Every new mail will get the same robotic response. Having your acct limited is like having it terminated but worse.

PP is also the Credit Card processor for eBay, so all transactions with "PP known" CC:s will be denied. Thus, "limited" by PP = no eBay. After some googling, a picture of an ultimately evil company - PayPal - reveals itself.

My chances to communicate with a human at PayPal in the next 10 years is essentially zero. Even their contact forms only allow you to choose from pre-defined topics, no free text for you!

Luckily, I've only used PP for purchases linked to CC:s; I never had funds with PP. If you have funds with PP withdraw them as fast as you can, many people have got their accounts limited/frozen and then PP simply confiscate their funds.

Sigh.  :palm:

Yep. Bye PP. Nice knowing you.

iratus parum formica

Offline kawal

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2021, 02:32:22 pm »
Got a nice power supply from Ebay . Unfortunately the packing was not up to the weight  of the item and that  cause massive damage.  The seller tried to pack well but used low density foam for such a heavy unit.  Shame to have this happen to such a nice supply.

Seller    
msc-llc 100%  positive so might be just bad luck.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2021, 03:04:51 pm »
Ooof... That is brutal.  |O

My current beef is with Aneng store at Aliexpress. They did not send a DMM and keep insisting in sending another one or sending bungled messages. That with them postponing the deadlines as most as possible.

I am at a very close end of the dispute deadline. I'll let you know how that goes. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline kawal

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2021, 01:26:25 am »
Seller actually responded the next day and refunded  me. Let me keep the leftovers for spare parts. So actually a good seller after all. But packing such a heavy unit needs more attention. This supply is over 60lbs. It's a monster.

Offline ct1bxt

• Contributor
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2021, 12:23:41 am »
Got a nice power supply from Ebay . Unfortunately the packing was not up to the weight  of the item and that  cause massive damage.  The seller tried to pack well but used low density foam for such a heavy unit.  Shame to have this happen to such a nice supply.

Seller    

Hi,
had the same problem few years ago whit a scope.
They trow it to the floor and unfortunately  broke the inside of cynoscope .
Regards
Rodrigo

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2021, 01:49:23 pm »
A gentleman called Lothar Baier who runs http://texasmicrowave.com scammed me last year for $250 on eBay.

After waiting a month and not receiving my $250 eBay order (for which I never had a tracking number) he sent a "replacement."
This has not arrived by the end of generous multi-months eBay delivery window either, so I have opened the non-delivery complaint with eBay.
eBay has initiated a refund, PayPal sent me the money back and after confirming to eBay that I got the money the complaint got closed.

Now things got weird.  Remember, this is now many months after I have bought the item.

I have suddenly received the "second" shipment delivered to the office (while I was working from home and was not immediately aware of it arriving.)
Almost immediately I get a very aggressive eBay message from Lothar who claims he knows I have received the goods and I am a lawless cheater and should pay him for his goods he knows I have.  He mentions everything that is wrong with me, including my dishonesty, lack of ethics, fraud and outright criminal intent.

I politely point out that the order was by all means considered lost, even though it was actually found and delivered and I am not the one to be blamed for that.
He increases pressure, calling me a criminal, and threatening legal action claiming he has a team of lawyers here in the UK who have successfully prosecuted many of his eBay scammer customers like me.  He "gives me" a deadline to either pay or return the product at my cost with tracked and signed delivery to a German(?) address - even though I bought it from the US.

He was so threatening that I had to contact eBay abuse and threats helpline to ask what to do.  eBay assured me that I was right, the item was technically lost and I should have receive the refund. They suggested forwarding the chat log to him.
I have passed my eBay chat log to Lothar who refused to accept it, calimed that he contacted eBay too and was told by eBay I was a scammer, and my eBay account will be taken down (of course it wasn't.)

Seeing that this keeps escalating and we are not making any progress and after giving it a calm think I thought I'd take the high road and since, indeed, I have got his goods maybe I should just pay him back and forget this altogether.
So, feeling defeated, I agreed to pay him $250 - again - (for goods I, arguably, didn't need) and asked him to send me a PayPal invoice. 
Immediately got the invoice.  Paid it right away.

You'd think we are square?  Think again.

In a few days I receive a PayPal email that my original $250 refund from texasmicrowave has been cancelled and money taken back from my account.
After ringing PayPal they said there is nothing they can do - the refund has been made with eCheck that has bounced weeks later because the seller never had any funds in his PayPal in the first place.

I went to PayPal to see if I can request a cancellation or at least put a claim against second PayPal payment to Lothar.  It turns out the invoice was made in such a way that transaction cannot be disputed.

Meanwhile, Lothar blames PayPal, promises to sort it out, promises to ring PayPal, promises to put $250 cash in his account, promises to refund again, definitely next week because it's Friday, certainly in two weeks when account funds arrive, etc, etc, etc.  After another month or two nothing changes so I decide to appeal to eBay.  Unfortunately, now it is half a year since original auction so they have removed it altogether and I have lost the ability to communicate with texasmicrowave via eBay messages.

I keep emailing Lothar every month asking to return one of my $250 payments to him but don't get anywhere.  I find it almost funny that after he called me immoral scum for illegally taking his property I now have to ask him to return my money for almost a year with no result.

Recently, after another email asking him to return my $250 he suddenly got aggressive and claimed that he has no idea what this is all about and I am just a general scammer trying to get money out of him out of the blue.

So here we go - a cautionary tale for you.

Leo

P.S. I am thinking that I should go ahead and open an unpaid debt claim in TX, USA.  Has anyone done this remotely from the UK?  What are my options?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 01:53:19 pm by Leo Bodnar »

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2021, 02:46:14 pm »

Seller    

Like the Rolling Stones song says, watching those photos “makes a grown man cry”.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2021, 02:57:31 pm »
A gentleman called Lothar Baier who runs http://texasmicrowave.com scammed me last year for $250 on eBay.

Gosh, that's a clever scam if you have the patience. Thanks for making us aware of it.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2021, 03:57:47 pm »

Wow, blast from the past.  We used to have endless discussions about Lothar's misdeeds on the Yahoo Groups mailing lists, e.g.:

https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/topic/24807073

Amazing that he's still up to the same tricks 10 years later.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:40:26 pm by edavid »

Offline aldupon

• HiFi
« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2021, 11:15:25 am »
Hello to all,

A real bad 'experience' with AliExpress and his seller Ecoolkey Technology... last year
I did buy a iPhone 7 for my wife's birthday.... had sound problems, the person called did loose the caller (fading) from time to time...
Did send back the iPhone, and confinement arrived.... the seller didn't try to get the parcel to the custom's.... so the package did come back to me....(took more than 90 days)  and after many exchanges with the seller and absolutely no help from AliExpress, even after 4 calls to the client support... the seller offered to exchange the iPhone on warranty.... but sorry the warranty had passed days ago... so I have a broken iPhone 7 ( I did make an expertise at Apple, but they would replace the iPhone for about the same price I already payed )

DON't Buy anything from AliExpress and his seller Ecoolkey Technology, they are f* bastards!

Offline sordid_resistor

« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2021, 06:36:33 am »
... snip ...
He increases pressure, calling me a criminal, and threatening legal action claiming he has a team of lawyers here in the UK who have successfully prosecuted many of his eBay scammer customers like me.  He "gives me" a deadline to either pay or return the product at my cost with tracked and signed delivery to a German(?) address - even though I bought it from the US.

P.S. I am thinking that I should go ahead and open an unpaid debt claim in TX, USA.  Has anyone done this remotely from the UK?  What are my options?

Wow that is some complicated scam scheme, is it a scam or a person who is mixed up? I've had similar kind of abusive situation regarding another activity I'm involved with, so I recognise the tactic. Obviously an unworthy person, proceed on that basis.
I know it's easy with hindsight. That threat about legal action, team of lawyers here in the UK, is the warning signal, like a watty resistor giving off smoke. Call his bluff, ask for the papers, they'll not arrive.

PayPal was good when it first got going (to lure us in), now it seems to have turned into a monster, there is a move to close access to  accounts, AI is on the move and PP is a part of that.  (AI as in automated "intelligence" - computers "dealing" with human interactions)

Times are changing (to our detriment), we need to be more carefull than ever.

Where to go for a refund is tricky, the seller will be well versed in all the tricks. Time for a lot of reading methinks, however not being in the US and I hear TX as a state has a lot of serious political issues to deal with.

With the unworthy seller I mentioned earlier, for the past 20 years (since we did business) I have made people aware on the various public message boards. I was careful to publish only facts I could substantiate and over the years many other people did the same thing. 4 years ago I met a person to buy some kit, who mentioned the guy's name and went on to describe the exact same situation I was complaining about!? The outcome being, make the unworthy seller come up in searches so people can check before entering into a deal with them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 06:50:18 am by sordid_resistor »

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2021, 05:32:37 pm »
The people who operate Texas microwave are crooks, and everybody should avoid doing business with them.

I had a more or less similar experience with them last year when I purchased an R&S RT-B1 kit from them on eBay.
I already posted a comment about this last year, and I am repeating it again, just as an advice to newcomers.

On June 21 I bought Item: 283919963673 (R&S RTO-B1 Mixed Signal pods & Accessory Kit) on eBay from surplusseller75440 (microwave75440 / texasmicrowave.com)
I paid a total of $422.26 ($300.00 purchase / $28.25 shipping $94.01 Import charges) with PayPal.
Almost immediately after the sale this order was canceled by surplusseller75440 with as reason that eBay had put a 21 day hold on my payment, and that they couldn't wait that long for their money, and $422.26 was credited into my account.
So I contacted surplusseller75440, and they told me that if I was still interested in the item he would need my PayPal address, so he could send me a PayPal invoice.
I did this, and shortly after received an Invoice for $349,50 ($300,00 purchase / $49,50 shipping) from kelly@texasmicrowave.com, which I paid wit PayPal on June 22.
After this I sent Kelly 11 emails requesting confirmation of shipping and the courier name with tracking number, and only received 1 response saying that they had shipped the package with USPS, and that "their packing company" had sent me the tracking number.

So after sending another 5+ emails stating that I had never received the tracking number, and requesting to re-send it, they responded that they could contact "their packing company" to see if they could re-send it.

I also called their registered phone number 1-903-474-7943 several times on the 24th, 25th & 26th of June,
and all I heard was an automated message saying that the person from this number hasn’t setup a mailbox yet

On the 6th of august, I still hadn't received my package, nor did I receive the tracking number, so I opened a claim with PayPal, and after a while got my money back.

My advise; do not buy anything from texasmicrowave.com, unless you live in their neighborhood and can pick up the package yourself.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2021, 10:59:37 pm »
Proper packing is a subject unto itself. Over the years I have been the person to receive many items of expensive, electronic equipment. Most were packed professionally by a knowledgeable shipping department of a major company and they usually arrived in mint condition. But when the packing was done by a new-comer the damage was usually predictable from the way the item was packed. One of the best methods I have seen is the double box with sufficient packing material in both of them. My rule is there should be at least one inch of packing material on ALL sides of the item and that applies to the SPACE between the inner box and the outer one. But some items do need individual consideration. 

Another very good way is to use that spray can foam that is available at hardware stores, Great Stuff is one brand. A bottom plastic bag is placed in the box and the foam is sprayed in it to about the 1/3 level in the box. Then, before the foam hardens, that bag is sealed and the item is placed onto the top of the bag and allowed to sink in about half way. Then another plastic bag is placed on top of the item and it is filled with the foam to the top of the box. The bag is folded over and the box is closed. If there is at least one inch of foam on all sides of the item, this is almost bullet proof. And the receiver only has to lift the top bag of foam off and take the item out. The first time I saw this I was amazed.

Oh, and on that "all sides" thing. The BOTTOM does count. In fact, the bottom is the most important side to have good packing.

Seller    
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
Re: The Bad Shopping Experience Thread - PAYMENT METHOD
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2021, 11:15:25 pm »
This may not apply world wide, but for the buyers in the US it is almost a bullet proof way to prevent being swindled.

US law and/or banking regulations provide a LOT of protection against fraud via a credit card. I ALWAYS pay for any web purchases and for most of my local, in person purchases, with a CREDIT CARD. The credit card companies (banks) are very attentive to fraudulent purchases made with their credit cards.

What do you have to do to get this protection?

1. Use a CREDIT card to make the purchase. I emphasized the word "CREDIT" because I think that DEBIT cards probably work differently. Debit cards are similar to a cash transaction or a check written on your checking account at your bank. Once the money is gone, it very well may be just that, GONE. Use a CREDIT card.

2. If you are the victim of fraud, REPORT it to the credit card company in a prompt manner. 30 days is best, but do report it as soon as possible. And do so IN WRITING! Sure, call them, but back it up with a paper and ink letter that has your signature. Yes, it will cost a stamp, but that is peanuts vs. the amount you may lose.

3. Keep on top of it. Do not let the credit card company just let it drop from inattention.

And I have personally had fraudulent amounts reversed by the credit card company/bank on some web transactions. One such incident went back over a year and involved a company that seemed to go out of business, but still collected monthly payments from my credit card. I got every penny back simply by following the above three steps.

Even if you use PayPal or another similar service, you can specify that the funds for the purchase be taken from your credit card account. I do that all the time.

I have never lost a penny with internet purchases just by following this simple practice: always use a credit card.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger, eplpwr, duckduck

Offline gameru

• Contributor
« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2021, 09:01:07 am »
I bought a power supply from Aliexpress (RD Official Store)
He sent me a refurbished power supply. He sent me the power supply without that foil.But it had foil!Because the pieces of foil stuck to the power supply.Especially around the screws And with a broken seal.
After this I asked for a refund and gave him negative feedback and after that he also gave me negative feedback

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
WIN-SOURCE - beware
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2021, 05:17:36 pm »
I have tried to buy some ICs from WIN-SOURCE based on octopart.com recommendation.

WIN-SOURCE website listed them as 4000 in stock for $2.56 so I bought 118 ICs (highest price break) for $302 total. 
Their stock level immediately dropped by 118 units.
Paid right away and got the order confirmation.

Nothing happened for a week.

Emailed them - they replied that they have been on a week long holiday two weeks ago, celebrating National Day (sic) and had a lot of orders to ship but now will get to mine right away.

Then they emailed me to say that the market is difficult and they have adjusted (increased) the price from $2.56 to $3.32 so unless I pay them another $89 they won't ship the order.

I have told them that I am actually looking to buy a few thousands of these ICs (which is true) but bought 118 just to see if WIN-SOURCE is trustworthy to which I now have doubts (which is also true.)

They said: nope, no mistake, no money - no honey.  But they will be happy to cancel the order and refund payment.

I have requested cancellation and refund.  But this has not happened either.

After waiting some more I had to open a PayPal dispute.

---

So, maybe think twice when buying from WIN-SOURCE.  Unless I was just unlucky?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:19:42 pm by Leo Bodnar »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, gnavigator1007, AVGresponding

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2021, 05:58:04 pm »
I ordered something (20-30 USD) from one of the major Chinese websites (AliExpress or somesuch, I can't remember.)
But my bank (Bank of America) decided that ordering something directly from a Chinese online seller was too dodgy and they refused the payment.  When I contacted them, they said that I confirmed it was a legitimate request and that they would honor the transaction if I tried it again.

BUT, the Chinese seller decided that the buyer (me) was too dodgy to trust with annother attempt, so they required all sorts of documentation that I was unwilling to give to ANY seller, much less some alleyway gang in Schenzen(?)   :scared:

So, the distrust escalated on both sides to the point where I don't see any way of ever ordering anything from a direct Chinese seller. But perhaps that is a good thing to curb my lust for cheap electronic trinkets.

Offline trebejo

• Contributor
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2021, 05:37:06 pm »
This didn't happen to me, but to a complete stranger.

" 1 out of 5 stars

'Metal has sharp broken edges. I cut myself, taking it out of the package. Very poorly made.'
By LVO on December 9, 2021.

Message from Amazon: This item was fulfilled by Amazon, and we take responsibility for this fulfillment experience."

I guess the actual physical cut has to hurt more than the response. I guess. Crossing out the words as a response is just a bonus.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Blacklist of chip Sellers
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2022, 09:59:10 pm »
Arrgh..

That is just horrid, I really hope you get your money back and then some.

Fuck- $3000.

And it sounds like they are well experienced at ripping people off.. I hope they get caught, and nailed.

Hi,

I love David's videos, they are fun and you always learn something, although I would like to see more repair videos or repair tutorials.

I haven't seen any black list section and I think it's a good idea to start one, be it for good or bad experience.
I recently bought goods for $3000 from Tev Electronics co., limited, which has a site at http://tevdzic.theicstock.com/
I asked for pictures before sending goods and everything looked ok. But when I tested the ICs (some flash memories) they were all not working, NONE of them worked. They came in very nice package like original and looked brand new. After further tests it turned out that they were FAKE chips made on demand for my order. They have a complete system of remarking the chips or making chips with empty core. Unbelievable!
I've been trying to contact them and make a claim and they don't answer anymore. AVOID AVOID AVOID.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2022, 08:00:55 pm »
One for UK ebay users to avoid, seller name: abduken0

Sent me a duff ADF4351 synthesiser module, uncommunicative when I asked for a return, had to get ebay to step in. Then tried to scam me out of return postage. The 100k 99% positive feedback is a joke, don't believe it.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Matt Coates

• Contributor
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2022, 10:28:29 pm »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2022, 11:47:26 am »
Well.
The sealer looks ok, but the price they charged you is exorbitant.
Did you complain with the supplier?

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2022, 09:39:18 pm »
Years ago I had to remind sellers not to forget the anti static bag.

Now they just ignore me or don't bother reading the notes:

They have accepted a return which is decent but that's a shame given it was at a good price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf