Author Topic: The Bad Shopping Experience Thread  (Read 280640 times)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: The Bad Shopping Experience Thread
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2022, 06:55:00 am »
He was so threatening that I had to contact eBay abuse and threats helpline to ask what to do.  eBay assured me that I was right, the item was technically lost and I should have receive the refund. They suggested forwarding the chat log to him.

Not entirely similar to your experience which sounds awful, but this last week I put in a lowball offer for a very tatty, incomplete Kenwood R1000 (of which a good example would usually sell for ~£100 if in decent condition up to ~£150 in excellent boxed and complete condition) figuring there'd be a little back and forth and perhaps we could meet somewhere in the middle at around £60-65.

Not a chance, I got an abusive message from the seller which, stupidly, I replied to explaining why I offered what I did.

What happened next was just surreal, the seller sent  messages via the eBay service, eventually saying they had my address and that I was putting my family in danger which I regard as a threat.

eBay of course did absolutely sod all.

Another bad experience with a UK seller  (and I think the 'owner' of a very popular retro computing Youtube channel) where they left me feedback 'buyer wants everything perfect, avoid' after I'd complained about their piss poor packaging which destroyed a 48 pin shrink DIP IC socket in the post and also destroyed the replacement even after I told him I was happy to pay a little more for better packing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 07:01:41 am by CJay »

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2022, 12:47:22 pm »
You can't fix stupid, you have to wait for Darwinism to take effect.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2022, 01:49:56 pm »
What happened next was just surreal, the seller sent  messages via the eBay service, eventually saying they had my address and that I was putting my family in danger which I regard as a threat.

eBay of course did absolutely sod all.
I'd call the police and maybe take out a harassment order.

I was working at this firm when I came across an ebay seller just like that, it was to do with a card printer, I made some inquires on increasing the manufacturer's warranty that was listed with it and turned out it was fake they didn't not have such an agreement, so when I investigated they copied someone else's listing word by word picture by picture sold without the warranties. Their listing wasn't their own. I asked them not to send out the printer and reported them. Ebay customer services agreed, organized a refund, and to cancel the order. The seller still sent out the printer with tracking after I asked them not to, it never arrived anyway but accused me a day after of receiving it and keeping the money despite their tracking showing nothing arrived.

They they started threatening me saying they know people in the area etc etc that they will be getting it back.
I had a right go at them threatening to involve the police.

I said it was quite simple, if you want it back you deal with the courier. We have cameras here, if you turn up and start causing trouble you will have a lot more problems to deal with than picking up a parcel that we don't have yet and neither does your own tracking support it. If it turns up, tracked or untracked, I'll let you know, then you can arrange for it to be collected at your own expense.

Another bad experience with a UK seller  (and I think the 'owner' of a very popular retro computing Youtube channel) where they left me feedback 'buyer wants everything perfect, avoid' after I'd complained about their piss poor packaging which destroyed a 48 pin shrink DIP IC socket in the post and also destroyed the replacement even after I told him I was happy to pay a little more for better packing.
There were a few times about 10 years ago this happened to me with all sorts of things I brought off ebay.

One time I found a set of brackets for a customer which I had difficulty finding as there wasn't much of them about especially on Ebay at the time for this particular model. Seeing how it was the only reasonably priced one I can fine, the next one was over seas and overpriced and with many parcels getting damaged in the post I explained this to the seller and specified how I wanted it packed in bubblewrap and thick strong cardboard and asked for how much. The seller replied, it's fine and not to worry but sent it poorly packaged in some thin bubblewrap in a bag where they got bent and one snapped.

The seller refunded me issued me a refund straight after reporting the damage without saying anything or a care in the world.

Offline arcitech

• Contributor
« Reply #228 on: July 20, 2022, 10:34:34 pm »
"Item Condition: New"

...right bruv. new.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline unknownparticle

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2022, 05:03:26 pm »
Had a fairly perturbing situation with an ebay seller a few years back, here in the UK.
It occurred due to the no arrival of an item I purchased from this nut job. I waited over 2 weeks, well past the indicated delivery time, then contacted him to advise non delivery.  He responded by saying that tracking confirmed delivery 2 days before I contacted him,  I replied saying that must be wrong because I was in that day and nothing had arrived.
He then started to become hostile, saying I must be one of these scum bags that claims non delivery, even when it has been delivered, just to get a refund.  I asked for proof of delivery.  After a few days he sent this and the signature wasn't mine, just a scrawl.  I told him that whatever had happened to it, it never arrived at my address and the signature was not mine and nothing like it, so refund me.
I heard nothing back but a few days later there was a knock at the door, it was him, his wife and their dog!  They started ranting and raving at me, accusing me of fraud and insisting that he was going to force his way in and search my house for the item to prove it! I told him to jog on and tried to shut the door and both he and his wife tried to force me back!  I managed to close it, with great difficulty, then went to the window to watch them whilst I called the police. He was going insane with anger, shaking his fist at me and shouting threats and profanity, his wife was also joining in.
It was then I played my ace card, I pointed up at the CCTV cam that looked at the front door, it also has audio!!  it took him a while to realise what I meant, then he saw it!  I also pointed at my phone and mouthed Police at him!  I was on a 999 call as we spoke!
The realisation then hit him and his wife!  They started to walk away, still spouting off. The best bit was, his car was in the drive and another cam had his reg no.!
This pair had driven about 175 miles to confront me, with nothing!! 
They had gone by the time the police arrived, but I had obtained their details from ebay, so made a statement and provided a copy of the CCTV recording.
The Police said that even if I had done what they claimed, they would have been in serious trouble anyway, but as I was innocent of any offence or wrong doing they would be charged with attempted serious assault, attempted break in, threatening behavior with intent to cause harm,  breach of the peace and a few other things.  Enough to get their attention.  It also transpired later that they had been questioning my neighbors, and a delivery driver who they happened to see!!
It went to court about 5 months later, I had to appear as the only witness, but backed up with incriminating CCTV evidence.  They were charged with attempted assault, attempted forced entry into a private residence, causing distress and anxiety and breach of the peace.
Turned out he had a record of violent behavior, so it didn't go well for him!  He got 24 months suspended, she got 6 months suspended.
They were ordered to pay substantial compensation to me, plus my expenses for having to travel to a distant court. They were also ordered not to make any contact with me in any way, permanently.
Ebay were advised of this situation and they permanently deleted their account and were told they would never be able to have another ebay account.  Don't know about paypal.  Whether they can get around the ebay ban is another matter.
So, make sure you have CCTV guys, because without that I could never have proved what happened and they would have got away with it.
There are some troubled individuals out there. 
DC coupling is the devils work!!

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline dunkemhigh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2022, 06:18:26 pm »
Blimey! At least there was resolution for that one, but it would be far better not to have that hassle in the first place.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2022, 11:46:59 pm »
Depending on the place in the world, the issue would have been solved quicker, although with much more dire consequences...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf