Author Topic: The Bad Shopping Experience Thread  (Read 400454 times)

Offline RayongerTopic starter

• I think therefore I am dangerous
The Bad Shopping Experience Thread
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:05:34 pm »
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen:

We need to bring each other up to speed on where to shop without getting ripped off.  Most online merchants selling electronic stuff are OK, but there are a few scumbags out there that will take your cash and do a dash, one of them is:...and feel free to add more to this thread if you like.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/623118

Keli Electronics Technology Co Ltd..located somewhere in China

They have mouth watering stock from my techie viewpoint, but it is unlikely you will ever even see any brown wrapping paper or a postage stamp.

Be careful with this store, they will not return your money, they will not deliver and you have no recourse if you let them con you into paying before you receive the goods.  The Aliexppress shopping portal will stall, stall, stall until you give up.

I am out of pocket 20 bux because I have been ordering, ordering ordering small things to qualify a list of suitable sellers to get more uptown with (do extensive business with).  THIS GUY HAS FAILED.

All the best online shopping

Rayonger
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:26:29 pm by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: The Bad Experience Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »
Had a bad experience with a seller of electronics gear?, you can have a little rant about it here for record on the interwebs, but please be factual and detailed.

The following users thanked this post: Doogs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: The Bad Shopping Experience Thread
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:28:02 pm »
We need to bring each other up to speed on where to shop without getting ripped off.  Most online merchants selling electronic stuff are OK, but there are a few scumbags out there that will take your cash and do a dash, one of them is:...and feel free to add more to this thread if you like.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/623118
Keli Electronics Technology Co Ltd..located somewhere in China

I've started a new sticky thread for this type of thing, is that ok?

In this case they have 768 feedback, and mostly positive, so it's likely just a one-off on your part?

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:38:39 pm »
Ok Dave, looks fair to me.

I try to be fair with suppliers, but that guy seems to doctor his statistics and made no attempt to reply until I started abusing him...we are talking an order placed in August 2013, delivery from China to Thailand...ahhh we are landlocked neighbors!!!... I can bike there in 7 days.

cheers

Offline electronics man

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:22:29 pm »
i orderd a ccfl backlight invertor and a few other things from sourcingmap on amazon uk i recieverd most of my stuff just fine however they came in seperate deliveries (for some reason) then i got a slip from royal mail saying i had to pay £11.50 for duty :wtf: (or whatever). the bloody thing only cost me £3.50. they told me that delivery was free so i refused to pay for it i told them they seaid they would give me a refund THEY NEVER DID i never got the ccfl invertor. i now have learnt a lesson. :--
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:29:46 pm by electronics man »
follow me on twitter @get_your_byte

Lurch

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »
amazon uk [...] i now have learnt a lesson. :--

I learnt that lesson quite a few years ago. I can't work out what Amazon is/does.

I think this thread needs closing. I can't see any good coming of it, unless every retailer is 100% perfect, which they aren't, then pretty much everyone can go here. I have loads of stories about bad service from all the major suppliers over here, can't see how it will do anyone any good to randomly post about it here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:43:14 pm by Lurch »

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:38 am »
amazon uk [...] i now have learnt a lesson. :--

I learnt that lesson quite a few years ago. I can't work out what Amazon is/does.

I think this thread needs closing. I can't see any good coming of it, unless every retailer is 100% perfect, which they aren't, then pretty much everyone can go here. I have loads of stories about bad service from all the major suppliers over here, can't see how it will do anyone any good to randomly post about it here.

What if we want to post about a bad seller from the Buy/Sell/Wanted section who isn't a major supplier? I think that is what this thread was intended for by Dave anyway.

Lurch

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:20:57 am »
What if we want to post about a bad seller from the Buy/Sell/Wanted section who isn't a major supplier?

Fair enough, but none of the complaints are about anyone on this forum so far. That would probably be the only sensible way to send this thread.

I think that is what this thread was intended for by Dave anyway.

I don't see him mention that, nor does anyone else.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 02:06:02 am »
We (I) started this to warn people about certain online electronics merchants who act fraudulently. 

After more than six months of asking for delivery or give my money back, without response, this is finally what I received (attached)...If you want to do business with Keli Electronics on Ebay or Aliexpress, go for it!, but there are hundreds of other great suppliers.

Incidentally, over the last year of purchasing hundreds of items from hundreds of merchants, this is the only fail. :D... pretty good odds...Happy Shopping...

Ohh and Lurch, you sound like some kind of troll.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:06:37 pm by Rayonger »

n45048

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 08:55:34 am »
As someone whose job it is to investigate these sorts of things, I'd like to remind everyone (in Australia at least) that you do have certain rights under Australian law. Without giving you an entire law lecture, if you purchase (not win in an auction) something from an Australian business or private seller, you are (somewhat) protected and entitled to a refund or replacement under certain circumstances.

Every Australian state and territory have Government organisations who can assist, free of charge, with disputes or complaints relating to sellers. In NSW their website is www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au

I have personal experience which relates; After months and months of hassling a retailer and never receiving goods, I utilised Fair Trading's online reporting service with almost immediate results (i.e.: I got my money back).

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:34 am »
>> After more than six months of asking for delivery or give my money back, without response, this is finally what I received (attached)...If you want to do business with Keli Electronics on Ebay or Aliexpress, go for it!, but there are hundreds of other great suppliers.

1.  My experience with Aliexpress if you did not "accept", the fund would not be paid to the seller.
My only problem was accepting too early.  Those China sellers on ebay or aliexpress are mainly traders, and if they have good ratings, they would try their best to keep them.  So once there is a problem, shoot for refund, and I got mine all the time. 

And once it is accepted, these traders know there is no recourse for you, they would not entertain you further.  Many selling IDs actually belong to the same trader.  Some of the online selling tasks (listing, enquiries, etc) are outsourced. 

2.  Some china traders have learned how to game the ebay system very well.  If you have a problem that need to ask for refund, they shall guide you away from ebay rules.  Even with email records of their devious move, ebay did not give a damm to protect the buyer.  Here is where the game set uneven, as buyers would not possibly want to invest the time to know all the many steps that could void the ebay so-called buyer protection.  And if there is a problem, it is very easy for the seller to get away, and yet without suffering a bad rating as the feedback period is very short.  These traders normally have good enough rating that you shall give them the benefits of doubts.  Before the feedback period is over, their non replies are very fast.  That's the time, they start to "play" on you.   Mislead, delay, etc etc giving the impression that they are attending to your matters, and at the time, put in steps to guide you away from ebay protection.  After a while, they shall ask you to mail back, and when about time, claim no delivery from you, etc etc.  Once the feedback period is over, all communication shall stop.  And if you think you are protected, and file for ebay buyer protection, that's the time you know which rule you have missed.   Of course, one could have fight ebay next, but at the end of the day, I decided this is not my full time job.  (Beware of polida2008 of ebay.  Still having 99.1%. )

Good things always come out of bad experiences, if paying a premium on ebay did not give me the protection, why don't I buy direct from China Taobao.  It is a new eco system.  But the protection system and the review system is much better.   Saving and the range of selection are huge.

Offline electrolux

• Regular Contributor
    • Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:33 am »
>> After more than six months of asking for delivery or give my money back, without response, this is finally what I received (attached)...If you want to do business with Keli Electronics on Ebay or Aliexpress, go for it!, but there are hundreds of other great suppliers.

1.  My experience with Aliexpress if you did not "accept", the fund would not be paid to the seller.
My only problem was accepting too early.  Those China sellers on ebay or aliexpress are mainly traders, and if they have good ratings, they would try their best to keep them.  So once there is a problem, shoot for refund, and I got mine all the time. 

And once it is accepted, these traders know there is no recourse for you, they would not entertain you further.  Many selling IDs actually belong to the same trader.  Some of the online selling tasks (listing, enquiries, etc) are outsourced. 

2.  Some china traders have learned how to game the ebay system very well.  If you have a problem that need to ask for refund, they shall guide you away from ebay rules.  Even with email records of their devious move, ebay did not give a damm to protect the buyer.  Here is where the game set uneven, as buyers would not possibly want to invest the time to know all the many steps that could void the ebay so-called buyer protection.  And if there is a problem, it is very easy for the seller to get away, and yet without suffering a bad rating as the feedback period is very short.  These traders normally have good enough rating that you shall give them the benefits of doubts.  Before the feedback period is over, their non replies are very fast.  That's the time, they start to "play" on you.   Mislead, delay, etc etc giving the impression that they are attending to your matters, and at the time, put in steps to guide you away from ebay protection.  After a while, they shall ask you to mail back, and when about time, claim no delivery from you, etc etc.  Once the feedback period is over, all communication shall stop.  And if you think you are protected, and file for ebay buyer protection, that's the time you know which rule you have missed.   Of course, one could have fight ebay next, but at the end of the day, I decided this is not my full time job.  (Beware of polida2008 of ebay.  Still having 99.1%. )

Good things always come out of bad experiences, if paying a premium on ebay did not give me the protection, why don't I buy direct from China Taobao.  It is a new eco system.  But the protection system and the review system is much better.   Saving and the range of selection are huge.
Iv'e bought an item from Aliexpress and it's come quite quickly. But now iv'e ordered something else and it's taking an age.
The funniest thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything its too late to stop reading it.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:24 pm »
Iv'e bought an item from Aliexpress and it's come quite quickly. But now iv'e ordered something else and it's taking an age.

It Chinese New Year now.  Try to buy before CNY and a while after CNY.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:03:53 pm by GeoffS »

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:18 am »

It Chinese New Year now.  Try to buy before CNY and a while after CNY.

Good advice, but pay attention to the "deliver by date" in your order, if it has not arrived 2 days before that date, open a dispute, no if's and or buts :>)
Happy Shopping
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:03:27 pm by GeoffS »

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:47 am »
(Beware of polida2008 of ebay.  Still having 99.1%. )

I've bought stuff from polida 10 times or so and never had any problem.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:02:45 pm by GeoffS »
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 12:45:40 pm »

Similar, 10+ times and no issues. All small stuff... What kind of problem did you have with polida?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:58:14 pm »
Polida was OK so far. But I received fake TB6560AHQ (rebadged TA8435H) from gc_supermarket which have 99.6% rating.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 09:36:49 am »

Similar, 10+ times and no issues. All small stuff... What kind of problem did you have with polida?

Laser diodes. Fake.  She is a trader so when her supplier gave her fake, and walked out on her, she would walk out on you that is my experience with her.  My amount was about USD120+.  It is typical of these traders even on Taobao, but Taobao knows these people better and has a better system to deal with them.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:21 am »
Hmm, I have also bought TB6560AHQ from Polida (IIRC 4 batches of 5 units or something like that). They were all genuine. Anyway - I have bought  one from TME for 8€ and compared functionally and visually and there was no difference whatsoever.

How did you discover that yours were fakes?
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:10 am »
Warning for consumer electronics.

May be common knowledge by now but stay miles clear of any reincarnation of WAE / WAE+ / extak.
I got away by the skin of my teeth on a ~£600 TV last year, if I hadn't been with Barclaycard I almost certainly would have been stiffed like so many others.

Not sure what name they might be going by now but you can bet these filthy weasels will be up to something.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/28/bankrupt-electrical-firm-wae-extak

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:57 pm »
Hmm, I have also bought TB6560AHQ from Polida (IIRC 4 batches of 5 units or something like that). They were all genuine. Anyway - I have bought  one from TME for 8€ and compared functionally and visually and there was no difference whatsoever.

How did you discover that yours were fakes?

1. Glass cracked, but they removed nicely and I had to see closely that there was any glass over it.
2.  But that was secondly, I could use cracked glass type desperately.  Mainly the configuration was a clear give away.  The fake she sold was a single laser diode type and did not have monitoring diode of the original part.

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »
Polida was OK so far. But I received fake TB6560AHQ (rebadged TA8435H) from gc_supermarket which have 99.6% rating.

Since two years ago (and some negative experience) I keep my own public list of eBay-experiences: http://www.sciencetronics.com/greenphotons/?page_id=855

Polida is on my "neutral" list, but only because the shipping to Europe is slower than from its competitors.

So far gc_supermarket is on my "whitelist" - no bad experience from my side yet.

It appears that your mileage may vary a lot - even from the same shops...

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
Aliexpress scam?
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 10:51:33 am »
I ordered some ICs from Aliexpress and payed with credit card. Shipping costs were high, so they agreed to a dispute to refund part of the money (which I got), because it didn't arrived after a week, which was promised. *BUT* they marked the order as finished as well :wtf: After a month the ICs still didn't arrive. Any tries to contact the seller are ignored. Contacting Aliexpress is impossible as well, because the complaint form requires an order id, but looks like it doesn't accept order ids from finished orders. Trying to eMail buyer@aliexpress.com doesn't work, I just got an auto-respond message that this eMail address is not read.

I contacted my credit card company to cancel the order, hopefully this works. If not, more legal actions might be too expensive (it was just USD 467). I think I don't use Aliexpress anytime soon again.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Aliexpress scam?
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:42 am »
I think I don't use Aliexpress anytime soon again.

Call me captain hindsight, but when ordering from A/express, don't just pick the cheapest, sort by the number of orders an item has had, look for the one(s) that have been ordered the most, and check the feedback (which is almost always positive regardless, but at least you can get an idea that some people are happy).

No different with eBay, or Taobao, or... don't just pick the cheapest, stand on the shoulders of everybody who has gone before you and blazed the trail  :-)
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:29 am »
Call me captain hindsight, but when ordering from A/express, don't just pick the cheapest, sort by the number of orders an item has had, look for the one(s) that have been ordered the most, and check the feedback (which is almost always positive regardless, but at least you can get an idea that some people are happy).
You are right, I do accept that there are some bad merchants, but my complain is that Aliexpress itself provides bad services. As I understand it, they should act as an escrow service: I order something, the merchant ships it, I got it, I mark the order as "finished" and then the merchant gets his money. IIRC there was 60 days for me to mark it (I ordered it a month ago now). But the problem was that I never marked it as "finished".
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf