Author Topic: Dire need of Oscilloscope  (Read 12898 times)

Offline tayexdrumsTopic starter

• Contributor
Dire need of Oscilloscope
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:17:46 pm »
Hi, I am new to the blog but have watched nearly all of Dave's video blogs on youtube. I saw the one of his drivetime rant on analog scopes and decided to take his advice on going to the forum and seeing if anyone would donate an old analog scope. I have already asked some universities, but they all have them surplused=\
Anyways, I would be soooooooo thankful if someone could give me anymore advice on getting one for free or if someone would be so kind as to donate one! I am only 17 but i am no beginner, and I also live in the US.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Dire need of Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:26:58 pm »
well why not try freecyle its in america as in england (actually it originated in america)

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »
Yeah, I took a look at it once but couldn't find anything :(

I look again though..thanks

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 06:10:29 pm »
well your best bet is to subscribe and see what turns up. here many people move and go on there and demand everything for their house and it puts people off, I moved and am  getting all i need by just sitting waiting for stuff to turn up

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:22:43 pm »
Are you talking about the EEv Blog or freecycle?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:13:53 pm »
freecycle

Offline Rhythmtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »
Lookup sound card oscilloscopes. It's gotta be better than nothing right if things are dire?  I really would rather have a bench scope unit, but I guess in a pinch? Anybody have any experience with the software scopes using your sound card?

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »
If you're willing to spend around $100 you can get a pretty decent analog scope off ebay or craigslist if you look long enough.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »
If you're willing to spend around $100 you can get a pretty decent analog scope off ebay or craigslist if you look long enough.

Should be able to get one for a lot less than that in the US.
For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Energy-Concepts-30820A-20MHz-2-Ch-Oscilloscope-/280524941501?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415096e8bd
$30 no bids yet. No-name rebadged so not many people will touch it. Perfectly good scope if it works.
Previous one sold for $30 with 1 bid.

This one went for $60 with a probe:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-20-MHZ-DUAL-TRACE-OSCILLOSCOPE-W-PROBE-/120583381464?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c135461d8

A couple of Tek units didn't sell at all at $30:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TEKTRONIX-2205-20MHZ-2-CHANNEL-OSCILLOSCOPE-/220623480763?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item335e2f27bb

Lots of old Hitachi ones go pretty cheap, they are great scopes.

Plenty of bargains to be had.

Dave.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:21 am »
Where do you live?

What's your budget? Even if someone offers it to you for free, you'll still need to pay for shipping or transport so you can come round and get it.

Yes, ebay is your best bet, watch out for delivery charges which can often be more than the 'scope.

For example £20, current bid is £3.99.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-TEKTRONIX-5103N-OSCILLOSCOPE-ELECTRICAL-TESTING-/180524606281?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2a081ae349

Better 'scope 60MHz but delivery is only £12, current bit is £10.50 so you pay less for more.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAMEG-OSCILLOSCOPE-HM604-60MHz-/320551991547?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4aa26338fb

If you want to spend real money, you could look at a Chinese digital 'scope
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATTEN-ADS1102-DIGITAL-STORAGE-OSCILLOSCOPE-100MHz-/320502804928?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item4a9f74b1c0

What about a USB 'scope?

I've never used one but from what I've heard it's not as good as a proper bench 'scope. There's again most of the USB 'scopes I've seen are single channel and don't have an external trigger, I've found one on ebay which looks decent and has all of the aforementioned functions.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DSO-2250-250Msa-s-USB-PC-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-/270570859417?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3eff47ab99

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 02:43:24 am »
I appreciate all the feed back from everyone!
But I have a hard decision to make...Either I spend about 350 US dollars and get the brand new Rigol DS1052E that Dave went on about or I can take my chances with Ebay

I know in one of Dave's drivetime rants he said to start off with an analog scope off ebay so that I will LEARN how an oscilloscope works and how to properly use one.

Let me check out Ebay a little more.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 05:10:14 am »
But I have a hard decision to make...Either I spend about 350 US dollars and get the brand new Rigol DS1052E that Dave went on about or I can take my chances with Ebay

I'd say that's no contest, definitely the Rigol. An analog scope has few advantages (mainly lower noise floor) over a modern digital, and the few that have storage capability are extremely limited compared to a modern scope. You can still learn with a Rigol, and you can save up and pick up an analog later on as well.

I'd consider Ebay a last resort. With a brand new scope you know what you're getting, and using craigslist (etc.) to buy locally you can at least verify basic function before you pay. If you get a lemon on Ebay the best case scenario leaves you minus the cost to ship it back to the seller, and it can turn out worse.

That all just my opinion. I know how it stings to have nothing at all to work with. You might try to wait it out a bit and see if Dave gets one of the new Instek scopes he mentioned in the last live show to review. It's $415 or so from tequipment.net and has better specs on paper than the Rigol (minus the mod to 100MHz).

Edit: I just noticed that you said you were in the US. If you decide to get the Rigol I'd strongly advise dealing with a US dealer like tequipment.net rather than trying to shave off $15 and buying direct from overseas. There was a good reason to consider it while the prices were over $100 higher here, but it's nearly the same now so there's little point in taking the risk. Just my 2Ω.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:17:16 am by DJPhil »

alm

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 09:17:03 am »
If you can stretch that far, I'm sure those Rigol or GW Instek scopes are fine. But if you're just starting out and also have to buy a good multimeter, decent soldering iron, adjustable power supply, function generator and parts, it might be a better deal to spend <=$100 on a scope and $250 on other things. At seventeen, I might imagine that $350 might blow your hobby budget for months.

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 11:57:55 pm »
Hi, I am new to the blog but have watched nearly all of Dave's video blogs on youtube. I saw the one of his drivetime rant on analog scopes and decided to take his advice on going to the forum and seeing if anyone would donate an old analog scope. I have already asked some universities, but they all have them surplused=\
Anyways, I would be soooooooo thankful if someone could give me anymore advice on getting one for free or if someone would be so kind as to donate one! I am only 17 but i am no beginner, and I also live in the US.

I have two old Hitachi V-423's like this:

http://www.teknetelectronics.com/Search.asp?p_ID=20750&pDo=DETAIL

You pay shipping and you can have one.  I'm in Zip Code 53142
-Z

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 01:12:41 am »

The Hitachi's are nice scopes, well known for their very sharp and bright trace.
A 40MHz one for the cost of postage is a bargain!

Dave.

Offline allanw

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronoblog
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 04:04:02 pm »

I'd take one if they're still available. How much to ship to 15201?

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »

I'd take one if they're still available. How much to ship to 15201?

Right now I have one left for Tayexdrums, unless he passes.  If I had a scope at 17 I'd probably be an EE today, instead of clawing my way to middle management! :-)
-Z

Offline MrPlacid

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hobby Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 04:22:01 am »
Let me know if Tayexdrums passes, he's crazy if he did. I'll be happy to be his substitute ;) Not kidding, I am serious >:(

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 09:17:25 pm »
My prayers are answered!! As long as you are in the US and shipping is not outrageous I will gladly accept one!!!!:D

Thank you so so so much

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 04:27:59 am »
turned out to be about 18 bucks for me. ;)
-Time

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 06:09:12 am »
Tayexdrums:

You should have the scope tomorrow, I had one probe to spare - maybe someone on the forum has another.

Glad that these could be put in the hands of those that can get some use out of them and it cleared up some room in the lab, which is always a good thing.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:14:03 am by Zyvek »
-Z

Offline Avionics_Guy

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:20 am »
Hello, i'm new here and i have to say that's a real nice thing you guys did for the young man,
Helped out a comrade like that. It's good to see some nice caring people in the world during these times.

Dave

Offline Zyvek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:23 pm »
Hello, i'm new here and i have to say that's a real nice thing you guys did for the young man,
Helped out a comrade like that. It's good to see some nice caring people in the world during these times.

Dave

Thanks, perhaps this might get me out a a few years of purgatory.
-Z

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf