Author Topic: EBAY: LED Display Module FLUKE 8840A/42A (DIY Kit) replace broken, damaged VFD  (Read 24478 times)

Offline AHOLTopic starter

• Contributor
I'm glad you liked it!

It was originally planned that the size of the letters will be the same as the original, but it had to be reduced, otherwise the adjacent characters will glow.
Magnification is possible, but it will be necessary to increase the displayed area, this is due to the technological process.
This will offset the display slightly from the original.

If colleagues support this idea, then you can try, by the way, you can make the ERROR symbol red.
How is this idea?

Offline batpuncher

Recieved a couple, both working great.  Now I can try to find out why the 42 doesn't seem to power up.

The following users thanked this post: AHOL

• Contributor
Dear colleagues, a new batch of modules.

Welcome: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154612343972

Best regards.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:01:56 am by AHOL »

Offline Paceguy

• Regular Contributor
I'm glad you liked it!

It was originally planned that the size of the letters will be the same as the original, but it had to be reduced, otherwise the adjacent characters will glow.
Magnification is possible, but it will be necessary to increase the displayed area, this is due to the technological process.
This will offset the display slightly from the original.

If colleagues support this idea, then you can try, by the way, you can make the ERROR symbol red.
How is this idea?

Could there be a way to mask off the sides of the LED's to eliminate the glow effect on adjacent LED's inorder to accommodate larger letters?

• Contributor
For clarity, I will show the difference in the displayed area, when changing the height of the letters

I have not made accurate measurements yet, this is an example.

But the creation of a module with enlarged letters is possible only after the completion of this project, since it requires financial costs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:13:27 pm by AHOL »

The following users thanked this post: kawal

Offline xwarp

• Frequent Contributor
DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
This module uses a custom-made, industrially produced 7-segment display

Can you give me more information about how to produce/get such a custom LED display? Who is your supplier?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

• Contributor
Dave described how to design a custom multiplexed LCD display. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1055-how-to-design-a-custom-lcd/

The LED display design is no different, even a little simpler.

According to your prepared drawings, any display manufacturer with more than 5 years of experience can handle the production of a display.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

• Contributor
Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who purchased the modules.
A new batch of modules will be ready for the New Year.
Unfortunately, COVID-19 is making its own adjustments.

I'll let you know.

P.S. If you wish, share a photo of the repairs :-DMM made.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 11:28:17 am by AHOL »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bikeNomad

• Contributor
I just installed one of the v4 displays in an 8840A which turned out to be broken. So I may decide to de-solder it.
But the display looks great.
Here's a comparison: the meter on the top has the LED display replacement, the meter on the bottom has a nice bright VFD display, and the meter in the middle has a somewhat dimmer display.
I'm an autodidact who believes in Sturgeon's Law and wants to continue contributing to the creation and improvement of the other 10% of everything.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, coromonadalix, BU508A, mnementh, AHOL

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Very cool! Thank you!  :-+
I'm a bit late to the party so I'll wait for the new batch.  :-/O
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Very impressive!  Nicely done.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Kjo

• Regular Contributor
    • Hollywood Controls
I can attest that the 2nd gen versions work just fine, albeit with annunciations that are a bit too small. I hope 3rd gen displays are better in this regard.

While one should be concerned about loading the +30V supply, it is quite tolerant of modest level conversion loading without impacting A/D performance. See the following thread I created on a universal OLED replacement display.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-884042-series-universal-replacement-display/msg3862550/#msg3862550

I have used both active and passive 30:5V level converters to drive the OLED controller. The loading on the +30V supply varies from 500ua to 1.5ma per signal (8 grids, 11 segments), depending on the translator choice, and the main PCA passes all self tests. Of course this design cannot compete on cost with the blue LED replacement. There is just too much circuitry and assembly to do that.

On another note, one should be cautious in assuming that a blue LED replacement offers an inherently higher reliability or longevity than the original VFD. While I have LED based equipment from the 80’s that works flawlessly, this photo shows my 5year old Frigidaire LED display. It is rather obvious that modern LED devices are not flawless.
1344716-0

AHOL has not yet provided us with much manufacturing information, let alone reliability and longevity data. I don’t expect his volume is adequate for that anyhow. Still, it has brought back from the dead 4 of my Fluke 884X meters! For that I am thankful.

Kjo - KO3Y

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
While one should be concerned about loading the +30V supply, it is quite tolerant of modest level conversion loading without impacting A/D performance.

It is regulated, so as long as it doesn't get loaded down below the regulated voltage all is well.  After all the VFD current loads it in the original design.  Have you measured the 30V supply with your design?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Kjo

• Regular Contributor
    • Hollywood Controls
I can’t measure a significant difference either DC or on a scope from the OLED, blue LED or VFD for that matter. I can sometimes lock on 20-40mv synchronous noise, but can’t match it to anything. Also, I have never found any information on the VFD grid and segment currents, so there is nothing to compare to.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
I can’t measure a significant difference either DC or on a scope from the OLED, blue LED or VFD for that matter. I can sometimes lock on 20-40mv synchronous noise, but can’t match it to anything. Also, I have never found any information on the VFD grid and segment currents, so there is nothing to compare to.

If it isn't sagging noticeably it should be fine.  I measured the VFD currents when I was working on my now abandoned display project and IIRC it was low single digit mA for the segments.  Never thought to measure the grids.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Kjo

• Regular Contributor
    • Hollywood Controls
Just for a reference, here are 2 OLED pics. Digital power is from the 5VDC lug and digital ground lug. There is no modification to the Fluke main PCA. The OLED controller is on the back of the VFD PCB. The 2 16 pin flat cables plug into the controller as they did to the VFD PCB.

Because a microcontroller is used, there are 7 selectable display modes plus a display demo mode.

Kjo - KO3Y

• Contributor
Great job.
Yes, OLED looks modern. In the beginning, I also went down the path of creating such a display,

I even bought a suitable display, but gave it up for several reasons:
1) Lack of a display that exactly matches the dimensions of the VFD being replaced.
2) The high price of a ready-made module.
3) Relative unreliability due to the large number of components.

But in general, such a replacement is possible subject to a number of conditions:
- Lack of additional termal and electrical instability.
- Do not obstruct the installation of the AC board.

What I mean. Placing the display controller board in close proximity to thin film resistors can cause additional termal instability.
Unsurprisingly, FLUKE shielded the Z101 resistor circuit, which is located next to the A/D ASIC.

It seems to me that this should be taken into account.
In general, the display has the right to live without distorting the operation of the multimeter.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 09:07:38 pm by AHOL »

Offline Peteg

Thanks for sharing, looks great. :-+

Offline Kjo

• Regular Contributor
    • Hollywood Controls

If it isn't sagging noticeably it should be fine.  I measured the VFD currents when I was working on my now abandoned display project and IIRC it was low single digit mA for the segments.  Never thought to measure the grids.

Good reference point for the segments. The translation device I used also draws ~1.4ma from a high segment line (and the same for grids but that is always 1:8 ). The VFD grids are driven to 30v so I would expect similar or higher given the size.

• Contributor
Glad to meet everyone in the New Year!
All the best for the New Year!

A new batch of LED displays are on sale.

Listing link updated (first post).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154780459035
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 03:23:59 pm by AHOL »

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Ordered one. Thank you!  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
Hello very fine work: Does the kit include step by step instructions or one muse go thru this very long thread to extract the procedure?

I have never disassembled the 8842A. Approx Time  to do the entire process,  1 hr? 1 day?

I will buy IF  if the procedure is easy and obvious but no time in my life to use up a day.

Many thanks

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Kjo

• Regular Contributor
    • Hollywood Controls
I have replaced 3 VFDs with these LED units. You need to follow the service manual to disassemble the meter and extract
the VFD PCB. It is easily done but not trivial. Care must be taken to not damage any of the hybrid modules on the
main board. Dont take short cuts. You must have the basic skills to de-solder the VFD also. The traces are easily
damaged with too much heat.

Installation of the replacement to the PCB is easy. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.
Not a 1hr job.

Offline ErwinsCat

• Contributor
    • ErwinsCat Video Production
Hi, is this kit still available to buyers? the eBay link seems broken.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf