Author Topic: ebay scammers.  (Read 11294 times)

Offline m3vuvTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
ebay scammers.
« on: January 12, 2022, 12:19:48 am »
just a word of warning for folks,avoid ebay seller taylor _D2010!,he is a total scammer!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: ebay scammers.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 12:25:54 am »
Instead of asking us to condemn someone, you might give us some background information.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, KD0CAC John, gnif, egonotto, edavid, PlainName, mikerj, Gyro, Halcyon, MK14, james_s, TaylorD93

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 01:08:22 am »
Looks like this was you:

was listed as the A model,received the non A model,refused even a partial refund!,if i knew it wasnt the A model as per listing i wouldnt have bid,apart from that all ok.
Tektronix 2430A Oscilloscope (#294643654575)

Buyer: p***y (373)
£70.00

Past month
Reply by taylor_d2010. Left within past month.
Hi, I apologized for my error and offered you the option for a Full refund upon return of the item which you did not follow up on. I accidently included the "A" in the model name, however the item was exactly as per the photos which did show it was not the "A" variant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/taylor_d2010

So you didn't follow up on their offer, why not?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: mikerj, MK14

Online nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 11:12:30 am »
His feedback looks OK to me, just the one non-positive review from you. Hardly a "total scammer"?

BTW, it's also a common eBay scam for the purchaser to pick fault and refuse a refund in order to blag a discount. Just sayin'
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 08:55:41 pm by nali »

The following users thanked this post: TaylorD93

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 02:15:19 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294643654575
Condition: For parts or not working

You and the seller both didn't check the model. Seems like blame on both sides, a perfect match. Not only did he offer a refund, someone else has already offered to buy it off you.

I think your butt hurt it actually needs repairing. Hint though, if you see several faults and the guy has already worked on it, consider it's not a simple fix.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: mikerj, MK14, TaylorD93

Offline rpiloverbd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 02:29:17 pm »
ebay does not ship to my country. But thanks for making us alert.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 03:15:44 pm »
Rpiloverbd, if the seller ships through ebay, certain countries are blocked. Some countries are unreliable to send goods to, some have sanctions for various reasons.

If the seller ships themselves they can choose where is goes. Some sellers won't even bother or risk shipping anywhere but within the US. So Bangladesh isn't high on peoples list, but you can use a freight forwarding company and pay them to forward items to you. It won't circumvent banned goods but makes it easier to buy everything else.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 08:00:11 pm »
His feedback looks OK to me, just the one non-positive review. Hardly a "total scammer"?

BTW, it's also a common eBay scam for the purchaser to pick fault and refuse a refund in order to blag a discount. Just sayin'

Yes, it does sound as if the seller has been bitten by buyers in the past, demanding partial refunds once they have the goods in their clammy little hands, under threat of negative feedback or being called a scammer. Return for full refund seems entirely reasonable.

Also just sayin'.  ;)
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 08:37:55 pm »
It's their right to refuse a partial refund request anyway. But a seller who says send it back is doing the right thing. If they offered and you refused in ebays eyes it would typically be, tough luck.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 12:03:23 am »
Before the pandemic, I had several missing packages; I believe it was a local/Finland post issue.  (I even lost one registered package at the local office: I got the pick up notice, but when I went there, they couldn't find the package anywhere.  The situation has since changed, fortunately.)

One of those packages was a few replacement mini tactile switches for a car remote key fob (less than ten euros) that went missing.
(I did plan ahead, and buy suitable ones from different sellers, just in case.)
When I contacted the seller, they expressed quite honest frustration about it, but also immediately refunded me.

My own preference would have been just proof of having sent the package to my address; I do not mind eating the cost because I know the most likely reason is/was local to me, and something completely out of the sellers control.

It still bothers me, because I absolutely hate thieves and exploiters, but I think this was unfair to the seller.  I didn't lose anything, but because of me, they did.
(The seller described how they shipped the package detailed enough I believe them.  At that point I started to always pay extra to get tracking, although on eBay, it's a hit-n-miss thing.  For the couple of packages that got lost in Finland afterwards –– I don't buy much! –– I just let it slide; it wasn't the sellers fault.)

So, I too hate scammers, both buyers and sellers, but OP's case does not seem like one.
It's just very hard to see things clearly when you feel you've been scammed –– at least for me! –– so I understand OP too.

If I may suggest, when something similar happens, it may be more useful to start a thread discussing whether what happened was a scam or not, especially because someone may pipe up with a way to avoid such scams or retaliate when subjected to scams.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, MK14

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 12:30:36 am »
My own preference would have been just proof of having sent the package to my address; I do not mind eating the cost because I know the most likely reason is/was local to me, and something completely out of the sellers control.

Some of the original China sellers used to do this, eg dealextreme, it was an automated part of the packaging system.
For whatever reason that has mostly gone away. Maybe due to increase in dropshipping and maybe tracking number is just considered better evidence.

It would be possible to print the postage, cancel the package, and never ship it. But I agree, its a nice form of evidence to see that would lead me to just trust the seller and not make any lost item claim.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 05:07:45 am »
FYI, the seller has contacted me and said that ebay awarded in their favour. They created an account here to do so, so maybe they will post.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, mikerj, MK14, TaylorD93

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 05:08:45 am »
For transparency, moderators were flagged to this thread by a user purporting to be "taylor _D2010" from ebay. We obviously have no way of verifying whether this is true or not, but either way I personally won't be taking any action in relation to this thread.

As general advice to both buyers and sellers:

EEVblog is not ebay, therefore it's not our job to moderate what goes on in relation to a transaction. As with all purchases, buyers need to do their own homework and own their mistakes (it's not up to a seller to rectify a change-of-mind or failing on the part of the buyer). This includes not only verifying what a seller has written but also checking photos carefully. Sellers (even major retail stores) make mistakes and in countries which have legislated consumer protections, you may be entitled to a refund but that rarely (if at all) applies to auctions.

Sellers should ensure that any product is described accurately and honestly. Photos should be high resolution and extensive to allow sellers to make their own decisions. In this instance, the seller may choose to change his username on ebay, while retaining all feedback and his "score" on the platform.

EDIT: Dave beat me to it ;-)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:14:33 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: MK14, TaylorD93

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 05:10:57 am »
Hello all,

I am Taylor_d2010 on ebay, M3VUV has tried slandering me on other forums but i dont think he realises that we both follow the same forums etc.

I sold him a Tek 2430 Scope on ebay. I mistakenly wrote 2430A, i fully accepted that mistake, however all photos clearly showed it was a 2430 Model. The moment the user contacted me about it, i constantly apologized for the mistake and was trying my best to resolve it in a fair way. I genuinely got muddled, downsizing my collection of 18 Oscilloscopes (bit much i know! a case of TEA for sure) I have alot of them to work through.

What confused the matter was through the messages he was claiming "it is what it is, these things happen" to "only reason i bid on it was because it was a 2430A" model. Blowing hot and cold. Sometimes saying he would keep it, others saying no he wanted a partial refund.

I said time and again if its not fit for purpose, i.e. if you want a 2430A for an exact reason, and the 2430 can not do it, then its not fit for purpose and i would have happily accepted a return with a full refund (yes that includes the to/from shipping!). If you buy a laptop for using it on the internet, and the laptop doesnt have that functionality.. well its not fit for purpose. Return it simple.

However, that was until i found this Tek Scopes Groups and his eeVBlog posts where he admitted to fitting an 18650 cell for the backup battery, against all recommended advice on here and other places.

I mean i dont think its unreasonable to reject a return, when the guy says its the wrong model and THEN decides to open it and mess around. If its not correct, you leave it alone, you raise a return and be done with it.

Funnily enough, he accuses me of scamming, however in the end I did offer a Partial Refund (advert did state no returns) and did pay his Paypal as Friends & family which i cannot claim back, to which he claimed he had not received the money. Then after that started threatening to not cancel the return request and involve police as im a "scammer". Well Paypal receipt proves otherwise that the money is in his account exactly as i said it was.

He claimed that he had a buyer interested for £70 but not the £25 postage, i have since found said person who had said 70+25 postage, so M3VUV had lied to me in that instance.

Also, using the eBay help, I spoke to a UK rep for ebay the other night over the phone we went through the entire message trail on ebay. She was less than impressed with M3VUV (aka Quadzillatech) attitude and unreasonableness. Also the fact that he raised a return claim, and at the same time sell the same item "Buy it now" on ebay! This is a big no no and is against their T&C's

What M3VU seems to no understand is I am a hobbyist, not a business, i work 12hr Night shifts so i dont really want to be dealing with something like this at all. Having only recently started selling on ebay, its certainly reinforced some of my doubts about trusting people on the platform.

It was not an ideal transaction, however anybody who is interested, i am more than welcome to share my messages with M3VUV as i dont have anything to hide.

Edited by Moderator: Removed personal information (name).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:45:11 am by TaylorD93 »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Fraser, philpem, thm_w, mikerj, SilverSolder, MK14, dl6lr

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 05:13:35 am »
For transparency, moderators were flagged to this thread by a user purporting to be "taylor _D2010" from ebay. We obviously have no way of verifying whether this is true or not, so I personally won't be taking any action in relation to this thread.

I replied emailed the seller and said he should post here, as we can't make a decision on who's in the right here.
Presumably the seller wants the thread deleted, that's not something we would ordinarily do.
FYI, we do get this sort of request occasioanlly, moderators cannot make a judgement on what is "defamatory". The best response is to post your position publicly.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, TaylorD93

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 05:16:38 am »
FYI, we do get this sort of request occasioanlly, moderators cannot make a judgement on what is "defamatory". The best response is to post your position publicly.

Absolutely.

People are entitled to post publicly what they think or believe, subject to a particular platform's own rules. Readers don't have to agree or even like the content, but this is Australia where we have freedom of speech. The seller has every right to defend his position and ultimately, readers can make up their own mind.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 05:19:44 am »
Im not bothered if the thread is deleted or not, i just feel that its unfair for him to go across multiple forums accusing me of this with no proof.

If he can genuinely prove that i am a scammer then absolutely, but i am not.

I find it funny he is saying this although he has the 2430 scope, plus a £25 partial refund and has it on ebay for £130, but making out I am the bad guy.

The following users thanked this post: philpem, MK14

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 05:23:52 am »
Here is my 2c (note I am replying as a community member, and this is my personal opinion, not a ruling or moderator decision).

The poor display was just dirt behind the blue screen filter,the other  issue was a FPP self test fail,that was fixed by replacing the LTC-7P nv ram battery

You in your own words state that YOU modified the model AFTER you noted that it was not what you ordered. If it was not what you ordered and you didn't want this item, why did you proceed to modify it?
This is akin to buying a car, it's not what you wanted exactly so you cut it in two and then tape it back up and then try to return it.

Sir, in my personal and honest opinion in this matter what you attempted to do here was defraud TaylorD93.

The following users thanked this post: philpem, MK14, TaylorD93

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 05:32:50 am »
Not just that, he replaced the 3.6V Li-SOCl2 backup battery with an 18650 Lithium cell + battery holder. Complete the wrong type of battery tech and would easily discharge in a few months. He admitted the wire broke loose from this "bodge" which would definitely wiped the calibration data whilst powered off. All this was done before requesting a return...

I have also noted in his 2430A thread he has again accused me of the same thing of being a scammer.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 05:40:03 am »
Yup, completely understand the concern here, I actually have a 2465A that had a low cal battery and had to carefully replace it too. I would consider a measurement device with it's CAL data wiped by the user a damaged/modified item.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 05:46:43 am »
Welcome to the forum.   :)
It's a damn shame you weren't a member beforehand as rule #2 would have covered you for such an event.   ::)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, gnif, TaylorD93

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 05:48:04 am »
Hi Muttley, Long term lurker, but did sign up in March 2021.

Just hadnt posted anything at all much  :D

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 05:55:09 am »
I both buy and sell on eBay and I'll admit to being very hard on novice sellers that either don't describe things properly (the lights turning on doesn't mean fully tested and working) or even more frustrating, packaging things poorly and damaging previously pristine test equipment.  However, I've always tried to work it out fairly and when some sellers insist on return/refund or nothing, they get it returned without any games.  I even helped one guy who seemed a bit desperate (it was a $1K+ shipment) to get a pretty much unjustified USPS damage claim approved (in reality the packaging was crap, but the USPS screwed up too). 

When selling, I'm aware that these risks are part of the game, but I try really hard not to make mistakes or give a potentially troublesome buyer any reason to pull a stunt like this.  As a seller, not only do you have to worry about drastic consequences for any minor error, but you also may offer the full refund and end up paying shipping both ways and ending up with a box of who knows what and no money.  I'd like to see a poll as to which of these eBayers you'd buy a scope from!  :popcorn:
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, gnavigator1007, MK14

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2022, 05:59:19 am »
Most of us, I think, realised the facts after about the 3rd or 4th reply.

Still, I'm glad you came forward, TaylorD93

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, TaylorD93

Offline TaylorD93

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2022, 06:02:15 am »
I both buy and sell on eBay and I'll admit to being very hard on novice sellers that either don't describe things properly (the lights turning on doesn't mean fully tested and working) or even more frustrating, packaging things poorly and damaging previously pristine test equipment.  However, I've always tried to work it out fairly and when some sellers insist on return/refund or nothing, they get it returned without any games.  I even helped one guy who seemed a bit desperate (it was a $1K+ shipment) to get a pretty much unjustified USPS damage claim approved (in reality the packaging was crap, but the USPS screwed up too). 

When selling, I'm aware that these risks are part of the game, but I try really hard not to make mistakes or give a potentially troublesome buyer any reason to pull a stunt like this.  As a seller, not only do you have to worry about drastic consequences for any minor error, but you also may offer the full refund and end up paying shipping both ways and ending up with a box of who knows what and no money.  I'd like to see a poll as to which of these eBayers you'd buy a scope from!  :popcorn:

In the UK, most couriers flat will not insure a CRT anymore due to the risk of damage, even more reason to package them as well as i can. I do prefer collection but in my recent downsizing ive only had one local buyer all the rest have been 2hrs+ drive away.

I took it to the post office the 29th December shipped it Parcelforce 48hr Tracked to him and it had actually arrived the next day! Quite pleased with that speed, but that was an issue its own right.

Whilst walking back to the car to get another big parcel to ship, i sent OP the tracking info (the ink was still warm on the paper receipt) and he claimed it was the wrong number! I mean come on, give Parcelforce 30s to atleast update their system!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, MK14

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf