Author Topic: EBAY: (Now ended) Tektronix MDO4104-6 Oscilloscope (1GHz) with RF up to 6 GHz  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Retrain5111Topic starter

I saw this listing and was thinking of flipping it. This MDO4104-6 was previously listed as buy it now for $8k and it didn't sell, and then received no bids for a $5k starting price. It relisted again at $5k starting bid and so far no takers. I thought these are worth more than $5k, any thoughts on trying to flip this? Or is it the high runtime hours that bring down the value?

Now ended
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166695110965
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 04:01:24 pm by Retrain5111 »

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EBAY: Tektronix MDO4104-6 Oscilloscope (1GHz) with RF up to 6 GHz
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 09:17:53 pm »
Tektronix and oscilloscope are typical search terms in the fleabay. If it was such a good deal my guess is it would have flown already.

Also, price speculation is killing the used hobbyist market.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 05:19:28 pm »
If its not moving on ebay where would you "flip" it? Since we don't have a feedback system here all we go on is join date and active posts, and you have neither.

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 12:52:16 pm »
The specific difficulty, IMHO, with non-generic test equipment (and I'd count an MDO to that) is that for a hobbyist, you can almost always getting a significantly better _and_ cheaper measurement platform by being smart, investing some time and (ab-)using lower-cost equipment in the right way. It will cost you some time, but at $0/h (which seems to be a decent hourly rate for a hobby), you can invest _a lot_ of time.

The applications for time-synchronized measurements of RF and 1GHz baseband at the same time are .. almost not-existent. RF? Yes. 1GHZ baseband? maybe. Time-sycnronized? Yeah, if you just happen to work on a transmitter or some complex RX setups. But all at the same time? I doubt it.

And if your hobby project is advanced enough to really require it, you're also advanced enough to use some SDR (or just a downconverter connected to a second scope channel), some custom trigger circuitry, perhaps an FPGA and get away with it for a fraction of the price and twice the capabilities.

If you're doing this professionally, then the used market is not very interesting.

(And I'm saying this having debated to buy a Tek MDO quite a number of times.)

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 01:21:50 pm »
now ENDED 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf