Author Topic: ESD Mat  (Read 28466 times)

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
ESD Mat
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:42 am »
For the rubber smell just wash it with alcool (but it will smell of alcool )

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
Re: ESD Mat
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
Earlier this year I bought a couple of Multicomp ESD mats from Farnell. These were bought as ESD covers for a couple of desks I have here.

These also stank really strongly of rubber when unpacked. So bad you could not stay in a 12' x 9' room with them for more than a few minutes. I could even smell them when going up the stairs to the rooms they were in. They were also very clammy and cold to the touch. Terrible.

I tried all kinds of cleaners to remove the smell and nothing worked. I ended up putting both of them in the very warm central heating cupboard area and it took several months for them to lose the smell.

They are heat resistant and non slip and look like they will last a long time. The clammy feel has also gone now and I'm now quite pleased with them. But you have to age the smell away by storing them in a hot area or wear a peg on your nose for the first few months!

Note that for some mats you are not supposed to get certain chemicals or solvents on the underside of the mat. eg acid/alkali or alcohol can damage them.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:34:31 pm by G0HZU »

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »
I got one of the ESD mats from iFixIt for Xmas.  It seems to be nice construction and doesn't have a rubbery smell.  The only issue I have with it is that the working surface is white and I can see it getting very dirty very quickly with use.

Offline JOERGG

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 02:19:30 am »
@eevblog -- how about it?  Can you tell us what mat you use?

Dave did tell us

http://www.eevblog.com/2011/12/24/eevblog-228-new-lab-progress/
If i write funny things, because english is not my native language, feel free to laugh. It is not always easy to find the right expression.

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 09:51:21 pm »

Another good option (or rather I've been looking at), but a little pricey is from ULINE (.COM for US and .CA FOR CANADA) - They sell an item S-12742 which sells around $100 USD or $110ish CAD.

2 x 4' Rubber Anti-Static Table Mat

Good for Chemical and Soldering area. 

Also if memory serves me (doesn't normally) - Digikey also carries a few in the $50-$100 price range.

I'm going to be putting an order in the next 6 weeks so this thread may help me come to a decision.

Chris

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:26 pm »

Another good option (or rather I've been looking at), but a little pricey is from ULINE (.COM for US and .CA FOR CANADA) - They sell an item S-12742 which sells around $100 USD or $110ish CAD.
You might want to take a look at this seller on eBay (located in Canada). Very pleased with the mat I bought him, and it's good stuff (2 layer rubber).

To give you an idea of price, he currently has a 30' x 60" mat for $42.50 USD. Even with shipping, it was less than what you're looking at (~$30 USD for shipping).

FWIW for those in the US, here's his US Store.

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 03:19:16 am »

You might want to take a look at this seller on eBay (located in Canada). Very pleased with the mat I bought him, and it's good stuff (2 layer rubber).

To give you an idea of price, he currently has a 30' x 60" mat for $42.50 USD. Even with shipping, it was less than what you're looking at (~$30 USD for shipping).

NICE !  :D  I'll give it a look.  Thanks.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 04:00:05 am »
NICE !  :D  I'll give it a look.  Thanks.
You're welcome.  :)

BTW, he stated the mat is made in Canada FWIW.  :o  :P

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 04:03:16 am »
Now... is the 2 layer or 3 layer better?  ???
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2014, 04:05:29 am »
From what I've seen, 3 layer just adds some vinyl to it to cushion impacts even more.

Not worth the extra cost IMHO.

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:56 am »
From what I've seen, 3 layer just adds some vinyl to it to cushion impacts even more.

Not worth the extra cost IMHO.

Thats what I thought, just wondered if it somehow provided better protection. Looking to get me one of these mats soon, I'm sick of just dealing with a strap and a clip. Alligator clips just suck!
Now... to do up the whole desk or not... time to measure!
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2014, 04:23:11 am »
Thats what I thought, just wondered if it somehow provided better protection. Looking to get me one of these mats soon, I'm sick of just dealing with a strap and a clip. Alligator clips just suck!
Now... to do up the whole desk or not... time to measure!
Nothing more in terms of ESD protection.

As per a wrist or ankle strap, get a good quality one, and attach it via a grounding block (cheap example), even when you have a good mat (covers you if you or the DUT aren't in contact with the mat). Please note, that some straps use a 4mm post, while others use a 10mm post on the strap. This makes a difference on which grounding block you'd need due to the snap connectors used for parking the strap cord (example has 10mm snaps for parking). Ground cable too for that matter, as that's what contains the 1M resistor, not the block or strap.

10mm snap connectors are standard for ESD mats BTW.

For better quality IMHO, go with either Desco or 3M (both are actually manufacturers, not just re-branders of whatever they're selling this week).

Lurch

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2014, 03:27:34 pm »
Ground cable too for that matter, as that's what contains the 1M resistor, not the block or strap.

I've got a few different straps and leads. I don't think any of them don't have a resistor in. Only thing that I have that doesn't have a resistor in is the mat.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 01:51:59 am »
Ground cable too for that matter, as that's what contains the 1M resistor, not the block or strap.

I've got a few different straps and leads. I don't think any of them don't have a resistor in. Only thing that I have that doesn't have a resistor in is the mat.
Both the cables I have contain the 1M resistors (10mm snap cable that attaches to the mat, as well as the 4mm cable that attaches to the wrist strap).

Mat does have resistance on the under-side (carbon black side) that varies with distance, but the wrist strap, nothing of consequence (couple ohm maybe, certainly not in the Mega Ohm range) IIRC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf