Author Topic: BEWARE OF THE FLUKE 87V SCAMS ON EBAY!  (Read 29781 times)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 87V going ~ £100 free post, SCAM?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 12:12:56 am »
2nd negative for pharmurlife.  Looks like a scam for potentially the other seller too.

SELLER IS A FRAUD... EBAY REFUNDED FULL AMOUNT... SELLER IS A FRAUD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:26 am »
EVERYTHING you can buy has a counterfeit knock-off.....

I have yet to see a real Fluke 87 rip-off.
i.e. that looks and feels like the real thing

Dave.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »
Ahem?

;)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:18 pm »
It is officially a scam.  I received an email today from ebay from the Loss Prevention Department stating that the auction I bid on, but didn't win, should be avoided.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 08:23:18 pm »
Ahem?

Take a bite of each and tell us if they taste the same, aka. provide the same feel. I doubt it.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:29 am »
Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Fluke 87V scam is on again.  This time, userid myths2692147

http://search.ebay.com/?sass=myths2692147&ht=-1

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 09:45:34 am »
Clearly they must be scamming eBay of the money in some way. Pay by PayPal and they will refund you. Normally eBay keep funds for a month for first time sellers. So NO idea how they do it.

Offline ivanjh

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 02:33:13 pm »
It's pretty suspect to only offer Free Economy shipping, and then state
"If you select a shipping method that doesn't include tracking or time estimates such as Economy Mail, it could take as long as one month for delivery."

Almost feels like a setup to keep you from following up too quickly... maybe just hoping you forget about it? Waiting a month doesn't give you much time before the 45 day limit kicks in.

jons28's experience with the "immediate" refund, is interesting - obviously the statement they had shipped it was just an outright lie.
But that begs the question... what's the point? What are they getting?

Also, I believe in a dispute PayPal will demand proof of dispatch - something I wouldn't want to send a $300 meter without.

But tramjoe has some valid points in there too...

Offline mianchenTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 10:07:32 am »
eBay auction: #280938830245

Is this another too good to be true item? The seller has good feedbacks (all private though). £240 isn't cheap but a REAL one is over £400 new... could that be a fake one? hm.... I am very paranoid with eBay auctions now. Although I did get an HP3468A for £40 recently (look and feel really new outside and inside) which I consider a good deal (from eBay ofc).

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 11:31:27 pm »

Is this another too good to be true item? The seller has good feedbacks (all private though).

They are not all private.  Sales from 2011 shows the seller has sold Fluke items (with prices) before. Search for Fluke in the past listings.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&userid=juyamah&iid=280938830245&de=off&interval=0&items=200

The seller looks legit to me, but it is your money and your decision.  Just remember that most ebay sellers are not authorized dealers and you will not get the Fluke "lifetime warranty".

PS. I'm not a fan of those private listings.  On ebay, I will pay a bit more for transparency.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:34:34 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline RRobot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 12:34:42 am »

Is this another too good to be true item? The seller has good feedbacks (all private though). £240 isn't cheap but a REAL one is over £400 new... could that be a fake one? hm.... I am very paranoid with eBay auctions now. Although I did get an HP3468A for £40 recently (look and feel really new outside and inside) which I consider a good deal (from eBay ofc).

Seems priced right to me. Probably too high if anything.

US Amazon sells Fluke 87-V $330. Even the Canadian Amazon is only $345. Both with free shipping and a stellar return policy. Full US MRSP for the Fluke is only $400.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:44:28 am by RRobot »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 03:10:28 am »

Seems priced right to me. Probably too high if anything.

US Amazon sells Fluke 87-V $330. Even the Canadian Amazon is only $345. Both with free shipping and a stellar return policy. Full US MRSP for the Fluke is only $400.

Yes, but this is the UK. Take the price in dollars, change the sign, and you've basically got our price. Try £390 for a brand new 87V. That's $600 CAD.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
Re: BEWARE OF THE FLUKE 87V SCAMS ON EBAY!
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 01:57:36 pm »
Isnt the 87V made in the US?

If so, then why would we expect them to show up in Asia at deep discount? Extech or the cheaper Flukes, perhaps (but doubtful enough).

An 87v? Makes no sense.

>>>BULLET>>>

Offline RFguy

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 05:32:04 pm »
I just won an auction from seller myths2692147 (before I got to read this post  :'( ) I'm getting worried a bit about it but i'm also wondering from what is based retiredcaps statement that this user is scamming... Did you also received email from eBay/Paypal about this seller ? Because he hasn't received any feedback yet... Also, why wouldn't eBay closes myths account if they knew he was scamming... I mean, there are still 87V auction ON right now from this seller...

I knew from the start this auction was a bit risky, but if anyone has confirmation this is a scam, i won't wait a month before asking for my moneyback...

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 06:43:14 pm »
I'm getting worried a bit about it but i'm also wondering from what is based retiredcaps statement that this user is scamming... Did you also received email from eBay/Paypal about this seller ?

I have received no official email from ebay regarding myths2692147, but the method of operation/pattern are similar to the 2 known scammers.

1) They list 87V as new and originate from Hong Kong.
2) They list 87Vs one after another in quick succession.
3) They all use the same shipping method with no tracking number.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:47 am »
Because he hasn't received any feedback yet...

By the way, feedback can be manipulated.  If the seller has a helper, the helper can leave bogus (i.e. really good) feedback on a low dollar item transaction so that the seller is 100% positive.  They can hide the items being sold by using private so you have no idea what was bought.

As I mentioned above in an earlier post, "On ebay, I will pay a bit more for transparency."

Offline jons28

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 05:15:25 am »
I know I said I wouldn’t get involved in the conversation again but I’m happy to just for RFguy’s benefit. I checked out the myths2692147 auction (there is still one that is going on by the way). RFguy first I hope you payed via PayPal as I have learnt it is much easier to get a refund that said a little history. I too won a Fluke 87V from Aluminiumstick (see earlier posts) Take it from me everything in my opinion points to the fact that Aluminiumstick, pharmurlife and myths2692147 are one and they same. Don’t ask me how the scam works but suffice to say it’s a scam. Please start now and reverse this transaction as quick as possible. This has the same hall marks, auction in GDP free shipping out of Hong Kong and no reserve set. I did get burnt but I got my money back very quickly because I went through PayPal. Put aside all of the debate and conversation and opinions! Take it from me as one who has experience IT IS A SCAM! Nothing will be sent and you wait in vain on the slim hope you snagged a great deal. Get a refund now. For anyone else reading this be warned now Fluke 87V coming out of Hong Kong with free Shipping and especially with no reserve and auction in GDP is a SCAM! Yes it’s too good to be true!

Tramjoe thanks for the Apology I appreciate it and in like I apologies too for the reaction. The reason for the post is the same as it has been from the start just trying to work out if it was a scam, now that I have confirmed it, trying to ensure that this SCAM doesn’t keep being perpetuated on people trying to get what they think is an honest bargain. I can only hope this helps. Thanks

Offline jons28

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:47 am »
 >:( After checking and filtering a search for the fluke 87 on eBay by free shipping and completed postings, myths2692147 has sold 7 Flukes 87V already with one more to go. I wish I could warn eBay about this. I hate to say it but it will only be a matter of time before we see negative feedback for myths2692147 and eBay pull the seller only to have him come back under another guise with a new name and another picture of the Fluke 87V

1.   To this end does anyone know how we can inform eBay of the scam? And can I make a simple suggestion. As Dave’s Blog is very high up on the search engine lists if you see a new incarnation of this scam post the sellers name it will then at least be on the top of the search list with the heading BEWARE OF THE FLUKE 87V SCAMS ON EBAY!  It may go some way to help inform new buyers. RFguy obviously found it and others will too.

Offline g***!

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 02:21:22 pm »

This particular seller is fine, I have bought two meters from him (a 175, and a 87v) and both were delivered very fast, with tracking etc, and well packed....No problems at all!

Offline RFguy

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up guys. I just got in touch with eBay's customer help and they told me I can only start a dispute between 10-45 days of payment so i'll have to wait a bit (since it's only been 5 days). The guy at ebay tried being reassuring but I haven't decided what i'll do yet... He told me that disputes related to items shipped without tracking # often gets closed in favor of the buyer... Anyway, at least eBay knows about our concerns with this user. I'll keep you posted with any further developments about my experience for the sake of future buyers... (And yes, I paid through Paypal.)

My two cents about how the scam might works: If the sellers disappears without any traces after withdrawing its bank account , eBay/Paypal probably refund scammed buyers and then claim the seller's bank or its insurance to get a refund themselves...

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:46 pm »
I bought some fluke test probes and leads from China and when they did not turn up after about 25 days I contacted the supplier and they sent out another set by Swiss post this time, ten days later two packages arrived one by Swiss post the other by China post, I had two sets of leads, they let me have the second pair gratis but on close inspection neither set is genuine, just good copies.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 09:25:15 pm »
The chance of getting a genuine item from china is "zilch" or i'll say likely 1%

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 05:24:07 am »
but on close inspection neither set is genuine, just good copies.

Pictures of the fakes?

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2012, 01:05:33 pm »
I've never actually seen ANY counterfeits of Fluke products.  Just a lot of "lookalikes."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf