Author Topic: GONE: Free: Non-working HP 6114a Precision Power Supply  (Read 657 times)

Offline easTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
GONE: Free: Non-working HP 6114a Precision Power Supply
« on: February 11, 2020, 07:57:52 pm »
I have an HP 6114a Precision Power Supply that was damaged during troubleshooting and I wonder if anyone wants it for the cost of shipping.

It's in good physical condition, considering its age. Some of the paint is worn off around the front edge of the case, and a couple of the heat sink fins on the back are partially bent.

Functionally, it is no good. When powered on its outputs are fixed at 70v, if I recall correctly.

Some details of the events leading up to its failure, in case it will help you decide if it is worth your while:

It used to work fine, before sitting unused for a few years. Recently I was doing some basic tests before listing it for sale on youtube and noticed that the set-point and output matched very precisely until the set-point rose about 12v or so.

I opened it up and put some pressure on the voltage reference daughter card to explore whether a bad contact or solder joint was involved. There was a sparking sound, after which the output was fixed at 70v IIRC. Upon closer inspection there is a trace at the top front corner of the daughter card that is quite close to the unprotected brass chases standoff and associated nut. I'm sure the trace shorted to the chassis. I assume this is what caused its condition to deteriorate to its present state.

I can't be sure what the shipping cost will be until I track down a suitable box and have destination address, but based on past experience it will probably $20-40 within the continental US via economy options.

I'd prefer to send the intact device, but I'm willing to pull out and ship parts if that makes shipping costs more reasonable. Otherwise, it's going out in the next trip to electronics recycling.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:14:55 pm by eas »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Hi eas! Long time no see.

Anyone who is interested in bringing it back to life is welcome to take it as I have plenty of projects in my queue.

However, if there are no takers, then I'll adopt it to save it from recycling. I have a variation of the 6114A as a working reference (mine has the rocker-style power switch) to investigate the issue(s).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
PM sent

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline easTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
We have a winner!  I'm glad that the 6114a is going somewhere it is wanted for more than just its recoverable metals.

Hey there, Bitseeker. Good luck with your project queue! My big project has been disposing of most of my smaller projects in one way or another.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf