Author Topic: FREE to good home! 230V to 115V 1kW transformer  (Read 1859 times)

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
FREE to good home! 230V to 115V 1kW transformer
« on: June 24, 2022, 01:00:16 am »
Hi.

This is an ex-IBM 1kW step down/step up transformer. A real transformer, not an SMPS. It was originally used at the IBM Wangaratta plant up until the 1990's sometime. Beautifully made, it will impress the wife. Doubles as a boat anchor - er, the transformer that is.

The story behind it: A mate and ex-colleague who is an Australian living permanently in the Austin, TX, came back here to sort out some personal stuff. He didn't want to carry the transformer on the aeroplane back to the US (excess baggage!). He wanted to give me the transformer, but I don't need it as I already have one. So he asked if I might see if someone night want it.

Pick up in Brunswick in Melbourne (Australia) at another bloke's house. I don't know his address.  Message me for the phone number of the bloke who has it and you organise picking it up. He is not going to ship it, but you could organise a courier to pick it up maybe.

Don't ask me the size, specs etc... I had it stored here about 8 years ago, and I forgot it's details. Its about the size of two shoe boxes on top of each other and weighs about 10kg or so. It does have a handle on it. No photo; but it is well made, without doubt.

cheers,
Dave

The following users thanked this post: sean0118

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: FREE to good home! 230V to 115V 1kW transformer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 05:26:14 am »
Wonder what the shipping costs to the Old Dart would be..?   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 12:33:36 pm »
I don't even want to think about the cost of shipping it up the road to Sydney.   :scared:

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Wazza

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 08:43:23 pm »
VK3DRB,

If that step down transformer is still available I'll take it off your hands.

Regards,

Waz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 03:44:25 am »
Hi Waz, I think it is. I'll have to contact the owner to see if it is.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 03:45:32 am »

More than a site transformer from your local builder with a busted socket!

Offline modz786

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 10:08:37 am »
a photo would be great!

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 11:56:04 pm »
Or a part or model number so we can look it up, curious to see what they look like.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 08:23:58 am »

More than a site transformer from your local builder with a busted socket!

Although you might be able to use one of those, depending on your use case, there are a few things to note:

1. You wouldn't get 120V on the secondary with 240V on the primary, you'd get 110V (55-0-55)

2. The earth ground is connected to the centre tap on the secondary

3. They are usually fully potted, which can make repairs tricky (some have a resin plug over a sand filling for cost reduction)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 01:02:58 pm »
Hi I sent a contact message to Wazza. If I don't get confirmation from him within a week, I'll assume it is still available.

Sorry, I don't have a photo or specs. It is about 10 years since I saw it. Actually it might be 2kW, because the same type was used to drive a microwave oven imported from the USA. Also, I remember it is very well made. It has a handle for carrying around. It is not too big - maybe 2 shoes boxes in size on top of each other. It is fully isolating between active and neutral - ie: NOT an autotransformer; but the earth pins on both side might be connected.

It was used at IBM Wangaratta to test SMPS's on the original IBMPC's that we made for the US market and for test equipment sourced from the USA. The old IBMPC's were manually switched between 230V and 110V. We had heaps of them. Sometimes a power supply would be inadvertently switched to 110V and when plugged into 230V...BANG!

I don't have much time on this, as I am busting my gut doing some really complicate embedded firmware and am burning the midnight oil every day. I am just doing this to help a mate and the transformer is too good to throw out, or even get the copper out of. My mate has gone back to Texas, but another engineer mate of his in Brunswick (Melbourne, Australia) got left with it. He doesn't want to mess around. Just pick it up and go; or get a courier to pick it up.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:13:27 pm by VK3DRB »

• Super Contributor
Re: ["SOLD"] FREE to good home! 230V to 115V 1kW transformer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 02:03:42 am »
Wazza is picking the transformer up, so assume it is no longer available.

The following users thanked this post: sean0118

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf