EEVblog® Electronics Community Forum

General => Buy/Sell/Wanted => Topic started by: Wigo on May 12, 2020, 07:08:10 pm

Title: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: Wigo on May 12, 2020, 07:08:10 pm
Hello,

As I am not using it anymore i want to sell my Agilent 54622D two channel MSO.
It is triggering and displaying waveforms from my signal gernerator just fine but i cannot get the probe compensation to work.
I managed to fix the issue with the Probe Compensation. It was just a loose cable!
The usercalibration and selftests pass without errors.
The handle was broken as i bought it two years ago. i glued it back together.
The backup battery was swapped by me for a battery tray to easily swap it in the future.

It will come with two Agilent 10:1 Probes, a full set of Logicprobes and assecories for them.

Due to its condition i will sell it a sworking but partially broken.

Now it is fully working.
i want 220€ (negotiable) + shipping

Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: Wigo on May 13, 2020, 07:18:11 pm
Here is the Picture of the working Probe Compensation and a few interieor shots ;)
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 14, 2020, 02:10:10 pm
These are really good scopes with quality oozing out all over. I have one of these with latest firmware installed you get all options enabled. Good scope  - way better than  cheap scopes from China.  Only if it had USB it would be perfect.   I used serial to save images.
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: Wigo on May 14, 2020, 03:10:58 pm
What software and cable have you used for the communication?
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: T3sl4co1l on May 14, 2020, 05:21:09 pm
These are really good scopes with quality oozing out all over. I have one of these with latest firmware installed you get all options enabled. Good scope  - way better than  cheap scopes from China.  Only if it had USB it would be perfect.   I used serial to save images.

Agreed; I "grew up" on some of these at school, I think the same model anyway, though they were amber screen, not green(?).  We used NI GPIB-USB dongles (bolted to the lab benches, as were the scopes and other gear) for comms.  Have also used 54600 and 02, truly excellent line of scopes, much easier to use than contemporary Tek offerings.

Tim
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 14, 2020, 11:05:33 pm
What software and cable have you used for the communication?

GPIB is fastest  - I use a NI card in a workstation - software from http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm (http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm)

You can press print and done.

The other way is to use serial port but is slow.

0ther software
Software from Keysight : Intuilink data capture 4.3

https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=896758&lc=eng&cc=US&nid=-34466.0.00&id=896758 (https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=896758&lc=eng&cc=US&nid=-34466.0.00&id=896758)
Benchview 2019

https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2417463&nid=-32413.536882119&id=2417463 (https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2417463&nid=-32413.536882119&id=2417463)

 Or just take a picture of screen
These have floppies and there is an option to convert to usb drive with a special low profile floppy converter

Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 14, 2020, 11:29:17 pm
And green added back in via gimp

Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: TK on May 15, 2020, 12:22:20 am
I had this scope and I remember printing to floppy and it uses green and black.  The cons is that you need a PC/laptop with a floppy drive (there are USB units that work pretty well)
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: oPossum on May 15, 2020, 12:40:21 am
Screen captures saved to the floppy are grayscale TIFF files. If you have the latest firmware it will have the Agilent logo and "Agilent Technologies" at the top.

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: TK on May 15, 2020, 01:16:55 am
My memory failed me, I swear I saw green/black images... Thanks
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 15, 2020, 04:11:50 am
These are saved with Intuilink data capture 4.3

Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 15, 2020, 06:38:50 am
this is saved with
IntuiLink for 54600-Series Oscilloscopes, Version 3.1

The colored one is just a filter in Gimp
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on May 15, 2020, 03:42:19 pm
These are really good scopes with quality oozing out all over. I have one of these with latest firmware installed you get all options enabled. Good scope  - way better than  cheap scopes from China.  Only if it had USB it would be perfect.   I used serial to save images.

I have one too and agree, it is a quality item.  I fitted a quieter fan, and a new backup battery...

You can get an Agilent GPIB adapter to screw on the back, apparently.  Not sure if that is any better than a serial cable, though...
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on May 15, 2020, 03:44:01 pm
Screen captures saved to the floppy are grayscale TIFF files. If you have the latest firmware it will have the Agilent logo and "Agilent Technologies" at the top.

(Attachment Link)

I had forgotten how horrendously slow a floppy drive is, until I started using this scope...   but the sounds they make are kind of retro-cozy!
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 15, 2020, 04:43:34 pm
These are really good scopes with quality oozing out all over. I have one of these with latest firmware installed you get all options enabled. Good scope  - way better than  cheap scopes from China.  Only if it had USB it would be perfect.   I used serial to save images.

I have one too and agree, it is a quality item.  I fitted a quieter fan, and a new backup battery...

You can get an Agilent GPIB adapter to screw on the back, apparently.  Not sure if that is any better than a serial cable, though...

GPIB is way more reliable and way faster.  GPIB is ~1MB/s and serial is ~7.6KB/s
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: Pinkus on May 16, 2020, 09:51:05 am
I had forgotten how horrendously slow a floppy drive is, until I started using this scope...   but the sounds they make are kind of retro-cozy!
Just an idea, probably others already tried this: maybe a USB Floppy drive emulator can make this easier and quicker. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTDZV8Z (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTDZV8Z) or this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762NCHC6/ (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762NCHC6/)
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on May 16, 2020, 03:28:09 pm
I had forgotten how horrendously slow a floppy drive is, until I started using this scope...   but the sounds they make are kind of retro-cozy!
Just an idea, probably others already tried this: maybe a USB Floppy drive emulator can make this easier and quicker. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTDZV8Z (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTDZV8Z) or this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762NCHC6/ (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762NCHC6/)

I actually purchased a USB floppy emulator for this scope, but decided the floppy drive wasn't enough of a problem to bother changing it!  -  I'd rather connect a serial cable, which is the next project...
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on May 16, 2020, 04:01:08 pm
What software and cable have you used for the communication?

GPIB is fastest  - I use a NI card in a workstation - software from http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm (http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm)

You can press print and done.

The other way is to use serial port but is slow.

0ther software
Software from Keysight : Intuilink data capture 4.3

https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=896758&lc=eng&cc=US&nid=-34466.0.00&id=896758 (https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=896758&lc=eng&cc=US&nid=-34466.0.00&id=896758)
Benchview 2019

https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2417463&nid=-32413.536882119&id=2417463 (https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2417463&nid=-32413.536882119&id=2417463)

 Or just take a picture of screen
These have floppies and there is an option to convert to usb drive with a special low profile floppy converter

What version of the Agilent I/O Libraries are you using with the Intuilink data capture 4.3   ?

It asks for version 14 on install, but I see Keysight has many newer versions...   I was wondering if there is any benefit to using a newer version.

I've got the latest version drivers working, they see the scope, but Intuilink isn't cooperating with the new drivers...
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 18, 2020, 06:00:33 pm
What software and cable have you used for the communication?

GPIB is fastest  - I use a NI card in a workstation - software from http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm (http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm)

You can press print and done.

The other way is to use serial port but is slow.

0ther software
Software from Keysight : Intuilink data capture 4.3

https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=896758&lc=eng&cc=US&nid=-34466.0.00&id=896758 (https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?ckey=896758&lc=eng&cc=US&nid=-34466.0.00&id=896758)
Benchview 2019

https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2417463&nid=-32413.536882119&id=2417463 (https://www.keysight.com/main/software.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=2417463&nid=-32413.536882119&id=2417463)

 Or just take a picture of screen
These have floppies and there is an option to convert to usb drive with a special low profile floppy converter

What version of the Agilent I/O Libraries are you using with the Intuilink data capture 4.3   ?

It asks for version 14 on install, but I see Keysight has many newer versions...   I was wondering if there is any benefit to using a newer version.

I've got the latest version drivers working, they see the scope, but Intuilink isn't cooperating with the new drivers...
I run the current version 2019  what ever its
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on May 18, 2020, 10:32:07 pm
The  Intuilink data capture 4.3 didn't work for me (serial, Windows 7)

I got annoyed and started writing my own software to query the scope, which DOES work...   I'll start a separate thread on that if anything interesting comes out of it.
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: kawal on May 20, 2020, 11:57:03 am
The  Intuilink data capture 4.3 didn't work for me (serial, Windows 7)

I got annoyed and started writing my own software to query the scope, which DOES work...   I'll start a separate thread on that if anything interesting comes out of it.
I am for sure interested
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: teddychn on July 07, 2020, 03:27:05 am
Does anyone noticed that the screen captures downloaded by RS-232 are really blur. But if they are taken by the floppy way, the picture quality are better and file size also smaller.
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on July 07, 2020, 03:30:39 am
Does anyone noticed that the screen captures downloaded by RS-232 are really blur. But if they are taken by the floppy way, the picture quality are better and file size also smaller.

When I was looking at the SCPI commands a few weeks ago, I seem to remember that you can choose the resolution of the file that you download?
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: teddychn on July 07, 2020, 04:46:52 am
Oops, that might be the reason. I captured the pictures by  Agilent Intuilink.
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on July 07, 2020, 01:29:14 pm
Oops, that might be the reason. I captured the pictures by  Agilent Intuilink.

Yeah, I didn't like Intuilink and uninstalled it again -  it was not as good as using the floppy drive and "sneakernet".
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: lscw on July 14, 2020, 03:25:49 am
I'm interested. PM sent
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: PlaneSailing on March 11, 2022, 08:24:02 pm
Recently bought an Agilent 54622D on Craigs List, can you please tell me which quieter fan you installed, and any issues.
I love the scope - the fan noise though is too much - thanks.

Commissioning my "new" 54622D included installing a leaded C123A 3V lithium cell from a broken smoke detector.
The intensity knob was broken, a 3/8" length of 3/8" diameter oak dowel screwed and epoxy glued into the broken end of the control rod, covered by a nylon cap restored nice operation and decent cosmetics per picture.
Upgraded the firmware to latest A.02.31, and made a PMP (Poor Man's Pod) from a 40 way computer PCB to hard drive/floppy/DVD ribbon cable.  A bunch of 91k Ohm
series resistors, and a green LED powered off the 5V from the 54622D to confirm pluged in correctly. Not the greatest signal integrity, it crosstalk's onto other digital channels, but it's fine for the few MHz signals I am interested in when working on old CD players etc, hope attached pictures are of interest.
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: free_electron on March 11, 2022, 08:34:29 pm
These are really good scopes with quality oozing out all over. I have one of these with latest firmware installed you get all options enabled. Good scope  - way better than  cheap scopes from China.  Only if it had USB it would be perfect.   I used serial to save images.
floppy emulator ...
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: AVGresponding on March 11, 2022, 09:17:09 pm
Recently bought an Agilent 54622D on Craigs List, can you please tell me which quieter fan you installed, and any issues.
I love the scope - the fan noise though is too much - thanks.

Commissioning my "new" 54622D included installing a leaded C123A 3V lithium cell from a broken smoke detector.
The intensity knob was broken, a 3/8" length of 3/8" diameter oak dowel screwed and epoxy glued into the broken end of the control rod, covered by a nylon cap restored nice operation and decent cosmetics per picture.
Upgraded the firmware to latest A.02.31, and made a PMP (Poor Man's Pod) from a 40 way computer PCB to hard drive/floppy/DVD ribbon cable.  A bunch of 91k Ohm
series resistors, and a green LED powered off the 5V from the 54622D to confirm pluged in correctly. Not the greatest signal integrity, it crosstalk's onto other digital channels, but it's fine for the few MHz signals I am interested in when working on old CD players etc, hope attached pictures are of interest.

You're probably better off asking about this in the Test Equipment sub-forum.

However fwiw, any decent modern fan is probably an improvement in noise and airflow, Noctua are well known for example. Just make sure you pick one with the same voltage and physical size, should be straightforward enough.
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: EHT on March 12, 2022, 10:32:40 pm
I'd be interested to hear back what you find about replacement fan. It does seem quite high airflow but as AVGresponding says, I suppose a new one will be better even if the airflow is matched.
Title: Re: FS (EU) Agilent 54622D
Post by: SilverSolder on March 13, 2022, 10:45:04 pm
I won't be at the location where my scope is for a few weeks.  Then, I will let you know what fan I used, so you have an example.

One important modification is to rubber-mount the fan, since the original mounting allows the vibrations to be conducted into the entire chassis and enclosure...