Author Topic: FS (US) Power Designs 2010, 0-20V 1A Precision DC Source  (Read 1364 times)

Offline ivayloTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: FS (US) Power Designs 2010, 0-20V 1A Precision DC Source
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 07:54:55 pm »
Shipping: US $109.25

No thanks
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 10:59:47 pm »
I thought that you are going to say that you like the fact that bidding starts at a dollar  :P
If you are seriously looking to buy keep in mind that it's a 110V device (still unique design with a following even in Europe from what I've seen)...
Otherwise yes, it's 5 kilos shipped across the world. I did muck with eBay's shipping calculators and I think I managed to set the price to something like $75 to Europe? In any case, I'm not making any money neither from shipping nor from the device, obviously... Just think it deserves to be kept out of the dump...

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 07:52:21 am »
I thought that you are going to say that you like the fact that bidding starts at a dollar  :P
If you are seriously looking to buy keep in mind that it's a 110V device (still unique design with a following even in Europe from what I've seen)...
Otherwise yes, it's 5 kilos shipped across the world. I did muck with eBay's shipping calculators and I think I managed to set the price to something like $75 to Europe? In any case, I'm not making any money neither from shipping nor from the device, obviously... Just think it deserves to be kept out of the dump...

A few years ago I bought a PD2020 for $10, and after shipping to the UK paid ~$80. The 2020 modification for 240V was a simply resoldering the traditional transformer primary connections. Shipping is more expensive nowadays.

I really like the 2020, but I'm not sure I would bother with a 2010 in the UK.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:23:36 pm »
Hmm, haven’t looked into that… Do you mean the transformer already had a primary (tap?) for 240V just not soldered? Does it have enough core for 50Hz?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 06:37:12 pm »
Shipping: US $109.25
If the item is worth it... Many years ago I paid $350 for shipping an Ebay item that I got for $60. And for many other things I bought the shipping costs where significant (doubling the total price in some cases). Shipping cost is just part of the price you pay.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 06:39:00 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 06:53:49 pm »
Shipping cost is just part of the price you pay.

For good stuff I don't mind the shipping costs, within reason.  It's the shipping damage that annoys me.  I just bought something for a few hundred bucks that I've always wanted and now I have to plan out a 1000-mile round trip journey to pick it up, since I don't trust anyone to ship it without breaking it.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 07:28:53 pm »
If the item is worth it... Many years ago I paid $350 for shipping an Ebay item that I got for $60. And for many other things I bought the shipping costs where significant (doubling the total price in some cases). Shipping cost is just part of the price you pay.
I agree. Just add up all the costs (price + shipping + import fees), and see if this is worth it for you.

Hmm, haven’t looked into that… Do you mean the transformer already had a primary (tap?) for 240V just not soldered? Does it have enough core for 50Hz?
Later models like the 2020B have a dual secondary that can be switched from 115V to 230V. Earlier models like the 2005 don't, but according to the manual the transformer is rated for 50 Hz - 440 Hz, so a step-down transformer would work. I can't find a manual or data sheet for the 2010, but based on the writing on the back I'd guess it only has a single primary winding and needs a step-down transformer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 07:38:48 pm by alm »

The following users thanked this post: ivaylo

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 07:34:19 pm »
I bought a PD 2020B on eBay back in 2014 from the USA for about US$90, and shipping to Australia was about US$80.  So the US$75 shipping on this latest listing is (was) not unreasonable IMHO.

The problem was that my PSU was not packed very sturdily.  While it was well wrapped, the box around the PSU was not padded and got crushed.  The PSU must have rattled around during shipping as the nuts holding the transformer came loose, and that caused damage to the fuse holder.  Thankfully the internal damage was limited by the wiring looms limiting movement of the transformer.  I had planned to open it up to modify from 110V to 240V anyway, so replacing the fuse holder wasn't a big deal and the nuts and washers for the transformer were still inside.  One loose foot was found in the wrapping material.

As noted by alm while I was typing this, yes it is possible to modify a 2020B to 240V as the transformer has two primary windings that can be wired in parallel or series, but I don't believe that was the case on the 2010 or 2005 models.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 08:33:29 pm »

The bog-standard pair of 120V primaries that can be wired in series or parallel.

Definitely check the manual before buying a PD PSU. Some types can be converted, some can't.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 08:37:02 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: ivaylo, syau

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 08:13:23 am »
wow! that looks fantastic... love the design.
Wish I'd got it.  And I really don't need any more bench supplies.... :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf