Author Topic: FS EBAY (UK): HP 8594E 9 kHz - 2.9 GHz Spectrum Analyser  (Read 1542 times)

Offline jwrodgersTopic starter

• Supporter
FS EBAY (UK): HP 8594E 9 kHz - 2.9 GHz Spectrum Analyser
« on: February 06, 2023, 03:29:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a HP 8594E spectrum analyser up for sale in Ebay in the UK, have a look if you are interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304795571686

It is working nicely, it did have a non-functioning CRT, but I re-capped this and now it working lovely.

You can see it's self calibration sequence here: https://youtu.be/hUDx0DJHqcY

Due to weight, I would prefer to only ship this within UK.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 03:31:56 pm by jwrodgers »

Offline Marcel G

• Contributor
Re: FS EBAY (UK): HP 8594E 9 kHz - 2.9 GHz Spectrum Analyser
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 01:06:19 pm »
The calibration of the FM coil does not work this is a common error (I then worked on it but never found what it is).

Just swipe with another 8594E and you will see that the display indicates some thing when the FM coil is calibrated.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 05:39:52 pm »
please  op   add you location, it would help buyers  here  outside Ebay

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 01:24:16 am »
please  op   add you location, it would help buyers  here  outside Ebay

Hi Sorry,

I am in the United Kingdom, I thought the (UK) would indicate that. I'll put the full location in any future posts.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 01:26:27 am »
The calibration of the FM coil does not work this is a common error (I then worked on it but never found what it is).

Just swipe with another 8594E and you will see that the display indicates some thing when the FM coil is calibrated.

Thank you for the information, I see that there is no signals when calibrating the FM coil. I'll remove my ebay listing until this problem is resolved.

Thank you,
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 01:32:34 am by jwrodgers »

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 01:50:22 am »

Thank you for the information, I see that there is no signals when calibrating the FM coil. I'll remove my ebay listing until this problem is resolved.

Thank you,

I watched a lot of youtube videos of running the calibration, and they also do not show any signals during the FM coil section of the self calibration. Can anyone please point me in the right direction of what is supposed to be seen in the FM coil part of the calibration?

Perhaps the original video is correct, that there are not meant to be signals at this point? It does not seem to throw up errors or problems? I've used a signal generator to verify the performance, and the unit seems to perform well through all the frequency bands with no errors on screen.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 01:52:31 am by jwrodgers »

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 07:30:37 pm »
If it's of any comfort, I have two 8595E analyzers, and neither of them show anything during FM COIL calibration.  I also don't see a sloping trace when examining the FM COIL DRIVE as described in the Assembly-Level Repair Guide under "Verify the FM coil driver".  I do see a negative sloping trace when examining the FM SPAN.

Both units work fine and self-cal successfully.

The FM coil is used to sweep the LO for spans of 10MHz or less.  You could take a look at the FM coil voltage and make sure you see the ramp.  Probe either side of R902, which is one side of the FM coil (FM+), at the top of the A7 analog control board.  You should see the FM coil slope and it should change with the span.  R902 location and scope capture below.

The FM+ signal is what should be monitored during CAL and during the FM COIL DRIVE diag display, but for some reason it is not.  It does not appear after the analog test MUX (ANA_TEST), which can be monitored via TP2.

My guess is it's probably a firmware problem that the test MUX is not getting set up properly for the FM+ signal (FM COIL DRIVE, aka FCDRV).  If you want to look into it further, the MUX is detailed in sub-section "B" in the CLIP #5963-2951, page 280.

You could also ask about what you're seeing in the HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment group on groups.io.

The following users thanked this post: jwrodgers

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf