Author Topic: WTB: Beginner Osciloscope  (Read 1698 times)

Offline GcsillazTopic starter

• Contributor
WTB: Beginner Osciloscope
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:28:16 am »
Hello Everyone!

I'm looking to buy an osciloscope so i can upgrade my electronics bench at home!

Sadly with covid-19 my university labs are closed and thus i cannot use them :(  I thought that this was a great opportunity to try and find one!

I live in Brazil and i've been looking here a lot and cannot find any simple 20Mhz analog for a fair price (below 80$ say)

On Ebay a lot of sellers does not ship to Brazil...

Since Dave always speaks highly of people helping in the forums after some years watching him i finally decided to great an account xD

Could someone help me either find one or if have one getting dust at a dark and lonely corner give him a new life together with me?

Maybe someone from Brazil pops up here!

Anyway, thanks in advance guys!
Gabriel

Offline RayRay

• Frequent Contributor
Re: WTB: Beginner Osciloscope
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:57:11 am »
Your budget is way too low to get anything decent. But I'd suggest you have a look on Banggood:
https://www.banggood.com/search/digital-oscilloscope.html

The following users thanked this post: Harshadb13

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 03:06:56 am »
Hi @RayRay

Thanks for your message! I will surely get a look there!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 04:08:09 am »
Join a radio club or similar.  Many hobbyists are getting on in years and are downsizing.  I got a few free oscilloscopes that way, all over 50 MHz Tektronix.  If you can't buy one cheaply enough I would suggest you ask to borrow one from someone who isn't using his.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 07:59:46 pm »
Hello Bob,

Actually i tried searching here for a club or similar but there is none in my region. It is pretty hard to find something like that here in comparison with the US. :/

I have contact with me teacher but he is using his and thus cannot borrow it :(

I'm still on the mission xD

Thanks bob!

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 11:39:10 pm »
Try looking for a HAM radio club

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 11:43:19 pm »
Well don't give up.  Sometimes it comes out of the blue.  That happened recently when a guy retired from his consulting work and gave away many thousands of dollars' worth of test equipment, cables, manuals, and tools.  About ten people responded so many of us came away with a lot of good equipment.  I asked no questions and just took everything I could.  I sorted through it later and was pleasantly surprised.

In another two cases, the owners of the equipment were sure their lives were running out and I got more good equipment.  Sometimes I feel like a ghoul but these people seem to know what they are doing.  They realize the widows will be overwhelmed and so want to lighten the burden for when the event actually occurs.  (In one case, the donor died the day after I picked up the gear.)

Of course this never happens when you want it to, nor do you get just what you are seeking, but in the long run it's a good way to stock your workbench.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 12:00:18 am »
Thanks everyone for the feedbacks!

I just found one in a e-commerce from Brazil! it seems promising.

It is an Tektronix 2213A

Pictures attached. It is around 170$.... I think this is overpriced...

I asked if the vendor would take an offer and he said for me to kick it and ask!

What do you guys think? Is there a problem in sharing this kind of info on a Sales Post?

It seems a well cared scope

Thanks @bob91343 and @Wallace Gasiewicz!!

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 03:44:41 am »
I have that model, or at least one almost exactly like it.  A good working unit, and the price was right (free).  The bandwidth is plenty for nearly all uses.  Mine has one strange feature, in that the variable control for vertical sensitivity is backwards.  In other words, calibrated position is fully counterclockwise and turning it clockwise clicks the detent, turns on the uncal lamp, and increases the gain.  It has the usual dual time base and ten turn control for delay.  It does not have a 50 Ohm termination so that needs to be external when needed.

I agree that the price on yours is a little high, but you only spend it once and are likely to get years of use from the unit.  Make sure it works properly.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 03:52:22 am »
Only someone in Brazil could tell you if it was a good price there. Here in Australia yes if it was in good working condition you could sell it for that. In the US it would be overpriced, the days of free scopes aren't over but it costs a fortune to ship anything.

Ebay in the US averages the Tektronix 2213A at about $100 but anywhere from $50-$150.

But don't buy an old analog if you can get a new digital for a bit more, though still usable modern digital scopes have far more advanced features. Then other thing to watch out for is scopes from the 80s and 90s are of that age where they need servicing.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 03:25:23 pm »
$170 (R$930-ish?) is actually not bad for a Tek 2213A around these parts. I mean, I think it's absolutely abusive that a nearly obsolete, almost 40 years old tool (i.e. could last for the rest of your life, but could also fail next month) costs about one month's worth of minimum wage, but that's Brazil for you. Considering the prices they usually go for, the one you found is not bad - that's what I mean. As long as it's completely functional.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:28:37 pm by george.b »

The following users thanked this post: Gcsillaz

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 03:28:18 pm »
Hi everyone!

Only someone in Brazil could tell you if it was a good price there. Here in Australia yes if it was in good working condition you could sell it for that. In the US it would be overpriced, the days of free scopes aren't over but it costs a fortune to ship anything.

Ebay in the US averages the Tektronix 2213A at about $100 but anywhere from $50-$150.

But don't buy an old analog if you can get a new digital for a bit more, though still usable modern digital scopes have far more advanced features. Then other thing to watch out for is scopes from the 80s and 90s are of that age where they need servicing.

Since i've been not able to find a good analog for ~100$ and digital only for ~350$ i went for the tektronix. What made me buy was the good reputation, appearence and  vendor said it was 100% funcional. i'm able to find a lot of service info on tektronix scope in general i hope this helps in the future if need be xD

Thanks everyone for the inputs!

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 03:31:29 pm »
Hi George!

$170 (R$930-ish?) is actually not bad for a Tek 2213A around these parts. I mean, I think it's absolutely abusive that a nearly obsolete, almost 40 years old tool (i.e. could last for the rest of your life, but could also fail next month) costs about one month's worth of minimum wage, but that's Brazil for you. Considering the prices they usually go for, the one you found is not bad - that's what I mean. As long as it's completely functional.

Exactly what i meant! We stumble upon some announcements claiming "Old vintage(minipa or other chinese knockoff) for scrap, price: 100$" its nuts. I hope the Tek can provide me with the basics and well... learning with an anolog instead of "Auto Scale" can have its worth xD

Thanks for you comment

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 10:43:18 pm »
Hi George!

Exactly what i meant! We stumble upon some announcements claiming "Old vintage(minipa or other chinese knockoff) for scrap, price: 100$" its nuts. I hope the Tek can provide me with the basics and well... learning with an anolog instead of "Auto Scale" can have its worth xD

Thanks for you comment

Yup! When I say "nearly obsolete" I'm referring to the loads of functionality that reasonably modern scopes have which analogs don't, but a 60MHz analog scope is still a very useful tool to have around the bench, and certainly better than none at all. My first scope was a Philips PM3055 - also 60MHz analog - and I did a lot of stuff with it. I still have it, and it still sees some use from time to time. May your Tek serve you well for years to come. :)

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 11:00:10 pm »
Hi George!

Hi George!

Thanks for you comment

Yup! When I say "nearly obsolete" I'm referring to the loads of functionality that reasonably modern scopes have which analogs don't, but a 60MHz analog scope is still a very useful tool to have around the bench, and certainly better than none at all. My first scope was a Philips PM3055 - also 60MHz analog - and I did a lot of stuff with it. I still have it, and it still sees some use from time to time. May your Tek serve you well for years to come. :)

Uhum! I hope so xD

I live in a 50's apartment without protected earth connection on the outles and the entire building in fact... I just went and bought a copper rod! I made a new topic on "General Technical" discussion thread about it!

Maybe have a look there and give your opinions too since you are from here and know how things work xD

Thanks a bunch mate!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf