Author Topic: Fs: Power Designs Parts  (Read 12456 times)

Offline timbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Fs: Power Designs Parts
« on: April 13, 2016, 10:27:08 am »
Welcome to Crazy Tim's Extraordinarily Esoteric Emporium of Electronics! Up for sale today are parts that fit a variety of fine vintage Power Designs power supplies. I've lovingly collected and tested everything by hand to verify it's all in working order. It's all come out of a handful of donor units that I stripped for parts to fix units in better cosmetic shape.

If you need something specific, but it's not listed, I may have it so feel free to ask. Also not shown, but available are repainted cases for the 2005/2005A, plus front panels for both in almost perfect cosmetic condition.

Make me an offer on what you want; buyer pays actual shipping. Items located East Coast, US.

SS44 Diodes

*44 Diodes (Epoxy Encapsulated?)

GI44 Diodes

GI543 Diodes

GI587 Diodes

2005 Reference Board

2005 Vernier Knob

2005/2005A (And Others) Voltage Knobs {I can re-ink the numbering for an additional fee.}

MS1700/S1700/WS1700 Power Transistors

MS1028A Transistors

1020/1020P Transformer (100V/20V Output)

2005/2005A Transformers

1020P Meter (I also have a version for the 2005.)

Various switches, reference housing, knobs, etc.

2005A Meter

2005A Switch Array

Various Pots (2005/2005A)

2005 Case (Fully Re-Painted; Also Includes Bottom Panel)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:49:33 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Fs: Power Designs Parts
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 05:19:43 pm »
Hi Tim,

I like your new 4E shop. You're not only a rigorous restorer of renown, but also adept at alliteration.  :-+

Do you happen to have a set of feet with tilting bail? I have a 6050A that's missing its rear feet and the front feet with tilting bail. Many PD supplies seem to use the same ones.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:49:37 pm »
Hi Tim,

I like your new 4E shop. You're not only a rigorous restorer of renown, but also adept at alliteration.  :-+

Do you happen to have a set of feet with tilting bail? I have a 6050A that's missing its rear feet and the front feet with tilting bail. Many PD supplies seem to use the same ones.

Thank you! :D

I think I might have another tilting bail in the box. I'll check for you this evening. I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of sets of feet as well.

If I don't have the bail, I can make you one to spec. I made one for a supply I sold last fall; I've still got enough steel rod to make two more I think. Basically I make small marks at the bend points, stick it in a vice and heat the area I want to bend with a torch and then pull on the rod to bend it. It takes some practice, but once you're done and polish it up, it looks basically original. (The vice can leave marks, even if you're careful, but that can be almost completely removed by sanding and polishing.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline ozwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:23 pm »
Hi Tim,

Do you only have one of the analogue edge (vertical) meters?  I'd be looking for three (at least).

I like to make clocks from analogue meters and haven't done one in that style yet.

Ozwolf
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:00:41 pm »
Hi Tim,

Do you only have one of the analogue edge (vertical) meters?  I'd be looking for three (at least).

I like to make clocks from analogue meters and haven't done one in that style yet.

Ozwolf

Ohh, clocks out of meters... That's a super neat idea! I think I may have another one, however you might want to search eBay for "edgewise meter" first. They come in various widths, needle styles and configurations.

The particular type used in these PD supplies was made by GE; you can actually buy them as New Old Stock brand new in the box on eBay. I had a PD 2020B with a broken meter, so I bought a new one on eBay and simply took the scale card out of the PD meter and popped it in the new one.

I also had a 2005A with a damaged scale awhile back (the scales are curved pieces of brass with white acrylic paint on the front; the numbering was most likely silk screened with acrylic). So I removed the rest of the paint with alcohol, then used PhotoShop to create a new scale that looked identical to the factory one; I then printed it out on white adhesive vinyl and used my digital cutting machine to, uh, cut it. I basically created a sticker the exact size of the scale plate; once applied it looked factory.

I bring this up because if you want, I could make custom scales for your clocks. (0-60 seconds or minutes, 0-24 hours, etc.) I can do them for pretty much any edgewise or standard meter you want, I'd just need the measurements. :)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 12:36:42 am »
I think I might have another tilting bail in the box. I'll check for you this evening. I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of sets of feet as well. If I don't have the bail, I can make you one to spec.

Thanks, Tim!

That's cool, Ozwolf. I saw someone had made a clock from some analog multimeters. Do post a thread about yours sometime.

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 09:44:20 am »
I think I might have another tilting bail in the box. I'll check for you this evening. I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of sets of feet as well. If I don't have the bail, I can make you one to spec.

Thanks, Tim!

Just to confirm, is this what you're after?

Ignore the missing foot in the bottom right, I've got a few more of them.

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 09:47:04 am »
I also wanted to add some pictures of the refinished 2005 case that's available:

Also includes the refinished bottom panel! (Not Shown)

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 09:54:01 am »
Hi Tim,

Ozwolf

3 for hours, minutes, seconds? Would the seconds meter wear out by moving full scale at 1Hz?

Offline ozwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 11:35:04 am »
Hi Tim,

Ozwolf

3 for hours, minutes, seconds? Would the seconds meter wear out by moving full scale at 1Hz?

No, not quite.

The seconds meter has 0 to 59 divisions and takes one minute for full scale deflection with one second steps.  My prototype unit here on my desk has been running for a couple of years with no problem and this is a cheapy eBay meter.

Ozwolf
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 08:38:32 pm »

Yes, those look like the ones. The mounting holes for the front feet on the 6050A are 148mm apart. On my 2010, it looks like they're 147mm apart, heh. :-/O

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 09:19:31 am »

Yes, those look like the ones. The mounting holes for the front feet on the 6050A are 148mm apart. On my 2010, it looks like they're 147mm apart, heh. :-/O

Hey, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. As I mentioned in the PM, I must have missed your reply!

Anyway, the bail actually compresses inward a bit when it's installed in the front feet. When you remove the feet you actually have to be careful because the feet will sort of explode off the case when you remove the bolts. There's close to 5mm of compression on this case, so that 1mm difference shouldn't make a difference!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 11:56:49 pm »
That sounds good Tim. Thanks for checking. Add one set of feet and bail to my shopping cart.

Do you also have the locking (pull-to-unlock) toggle switches (voltage range switch)? The one on my 2010 is bent. I haven't tried bending it back, yet. I guess I'll give it a try first, to see if it snaps off.

I saw that you have dials for the 20-volt supplies. Do you also have them for the 50-volt models?

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 09:02:31 am »
That sounds good Tim. Thanks for checking. Add one set of feet and bail to my shopping cart.

Do you also have the locking (pull-to-unlock) toggle switches (voltage range switch)? The one on my 2010 is bent. I haven't tried bending it back, yet. I guess I'll give it a try first, to see if it snaps off.

I saw that you have dials for the 20-volt supplies. Do you also have them for the 50-volt models?

Yup, I've got one of the pull to unlock "ON-ON" switches, however the top half of the lever portion of the toggle is missing (I guess it's threaded to accept different length levers) so if yours screws off that should work for you.

I also haves small non-locking toggles with the same pinout that would fit with no modifications (these are brand new, CK brand).

I don't have any volt dials for the 50V models, however the 20V dials would technically work I think. The only difference being the MSD would be labeled from 0-9 instead of 0-4 (the dial would still only turn to the 4 position of course), but that could be remedied by using a little 93% Iso to erase the unwanted digits. :)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 05:00:53 pm »
OK, since you've got a switch, I tried bending mine back. :-/O It was going quite well...until the last couple of degrees. *snap!* :palm: Not surprising, though, considering that it's a hollow shaft to accommodate the locking spring. Now, I just have to find the little critter to check if the tip unscrews. Amazing how well these things can hide in plain sight.

I'll be back... :P

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 08:03:17 pm »
OK, since you've got a switch, I tried bending mine back. :-/O It was going quite well...until the last couple of degrees. *snap!* :palm: Not surprising, though, considering that it's a hollow shaft to accommodate the locking spring. Now, I just have to find the little critter to check if the tip unscrews. Amazing how well these things can hide in plain sight.

I'll be back... :P

Did you ever find it? XD

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 09:07:56 pm »
Nope, haven't found it yet. Do you have a photo? The switch on my 2010 looked like the one on my TP340A. This pic from my thread on the 340:

I wasn't able to loosen the end on either. I didn't want to try too hard lest I break the TP340A too. Anyway, if yours is the same, I'll get it since I need something. When I eventually find the original handle I'll try again to twist the end off.

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 10:48:06 am »
Nope, haven't found it yet. Do you have a photo? The switch on my 2010 looked like the one on my TP340A. This pic from my thread on the 340:

I wasn't able to loosen the end on either. I didn't want to try too hard lest I break the TP340A too. Anyway, if yours is the same, I'll get it since I need something. When I eventually find the original handle I'll try again to twist the end off.

So I can't seem to find the locking toggling switch! I searched through a bunch of boxes, plus all 5 drawers of normal toggle switches... It's around here somewhere. Perhaps it fell behind my desk... I'll take a look this afternoon.

In the mean time, I do have a few of these:

The'll fit in a 1/4" hole, which is what all the locking toggles that I've come across on PD supplies are. I'm not sure when PD started using the locking switches. 2005's used standard 1/2" switches; some with the standard "baseball bat" style metal levers and others with large, wedge shaped plastic ones. I've seen 2020's with both locking *and* non-locking 10/20V switches as well.

I've got these 1/4" non locking switches in both SPDT and DPDT variants (ON-ON x 1 and x2.)

If you want one of those I'll just throw it in. I'll see if I can locate the missing PD locking one later today!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 05:30:20 pm »
No problem, Tim. I'll wait to see if it turns up. After all, this is the Extraordinarily Esoteric Emporium of Electronics. So, if it's anywhere, it's got to be here. Anyway, I still have to find my handle.

Thanks for the background on PD's use of locking vs. non-locking switches. I hadn't seen one with a non-locking one, so it never occurred to me. It's good to have the fallback plan, just in case.

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 10:32:47 am »
No luck around the desk, but I've got one last place to check. I've got a box with three or four supplies that I haven't gotten around to restoring yet, it's just behind a lot of other boxes. I've been meaning to transfer all the stuff out of the cardboard boxes and put them in plastic tubs for awhile now, so I'll do that today.

I'm thinking the switch is on one of those units and not one of the disassembled ones like I thought. (I did find a switch behind my desk, a PD one in fact! But it was a 1/2" power switch.)

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 03:13:56 pm »
@timb:

Any chance you have one of these PD knobs?

Dimensions:

Knob: 0.500 in
Flange: 0.680 in
ID: 0.250 in

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:17:27 pm by idpromnut »

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
Fs: Power Designs Parts
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 09:46:07 am »
No problem, Tim. I'll wait to see if it turns up. After all, this is the Extraordinarily Esoteric Emporium of Electronics. So, if it's anywhere, it's got to be here. Anyway, I still have to find my handle.

Thanks for the background on PD's use of locking vs. non-locking switches. I hadn't seen one with a non-locking one, so it never occurred to me. It's good to have the fallback plan, just in case.

So, I finally found it! Unfortunately, the red plastic housing of the switch base itself is actually broken and missing a few pieces, which leaves the contacts exposed, so I don't think it'll work well for you in the long run. That's aside from missing the top half of the shaft!

You still want the bail and feet? Like I said, I can throw in a non-locking replacement switch as well if you want it. :)

@timb:

Dimensions:

Thanks!

Yes, I believe I've got one! Looks to me like the unit on the left of this photo:

The only difference is yours has a cutout for the position indicator, whereas mine only has a black line. Otherwise the sizes are the same!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:48:33 am by timb »

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 11:33:48 am »

@timb:

Dimensions:

Thanks!

The only difference is yours has a cutout for the position indicator, whereas mine only has a black line. Otherwise the sizes are the same!

Yes!  That looks like it! PM sent!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:05 pm »
You still want the bail and feet? Like I said, I can throw in a non-locking replacement switch as well if you want it. :)

Yes on both counts. Thank you, Tim. PM sent.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 04:09:14 am »
I found the broken switch handle that went flying. Just looked down from my seat and there it was.  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf