Author Topic: [SOLD] Tek 2225 50MHz Oscilloscope - $75 + shipping  (Read 9487 times)

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
[SOLD] Tek 2225 50MHz Oscilloscope - $75 + shipping
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:30:16 am »
Giving our active US community members first dibs on my Tek 2225 before throwing it on eBay. (Sorry World, but unless you can pitch a convincing argument, it's simply too much of a pain in the ass on my part to ship anywhere else. Considering international offers if you're willing to stomach the actual shipping costs)

A quick smashbang on the attached pics:
1) demonstrates both channels and trigger function
2) cosmetic paint chip on top; otherwise, case is in good condition
3) one rear leg was busted off during shipping when I first received the scope; handle and everything else is in good condition

The scope did not and will not come with probes; you'll have to supply your own.

I'll be up front and disclosed that I paid $86 + $19.62 shipping back in January of this year. I'll also disclose that I recently sold an item of comparable cross-section and approx half the weight via USPS Parcel with tracking for a little over $23; I suspect shipping this scope will be around that ballpark figure. That being said, I'll accept payment through Paypal for a minimum asking price of $86 $75, and shipping will cost no more than what USPS actually charges.

EDIT: After a bit of contemplation, I'd be willing to settle for $75 + shipping if purchased by an active member of the forum community.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:25:52 pm by slateraptor »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
Re: FS: Tek 2225 50MHz Oscilloscope - $75 + shipping
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:18 pm »
if you would, i guess it would cost simply too much to ship it into hungary :( due to its weight

Offline Chet T16

• Frequent Contributor
    • Retro-Renault
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:00 pm »
Might be worth your while getting a price on international shipping
Chet
Paid Electron Wrestler

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:25:30 pm »
Wonder how much to ship to ZA........ Probably almost as much as the scope, unless you send by sea.

alm

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:33:17 pm »
$75 for overseas shipping? That would be a bargain! Expect to pay approximately twice that for air mail. USPS surface mail to most international destinations has been discontinued for years.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:03:00 pm »
User Mischa was the first international inquirer, so I'm humoring him with a proper quote to Slovenia, and it's quite bloody. Here it is just to give you guys an idea just in case he flops.

1) USPS Priority = $75.50
    6-10 business days
    no tracking (additional cost)
    no insurance (additional cost)

Adding tracking and insurance runs the cost up to ~$92 (the exact amount is $91 and some change, but I forgot to write it down)

2) USPS Express = $101.70
    3-5 business days
    tracking included
    $100 insurance included (additional $0.85 for $200 coverage)

Box dimensions are 20" x 14" x 10"; packaging materials cost me $3.79 for the box and $4.97 for bubble wrap, not including taxes.

Weight came out to 16 lbs 10 oz, rounded up to 17 lbs for the quote to compensate for packaging.

International shipping costs are strictly determined by weight, since the box falls below the maximum allowable size for international packages.

Then there's Paypal transaction fees, which I'm pretty sure I misquoted in the original message sent to Mischa: should be 3.9% + fixed fee depending on currency.

If he takes the offer, he'll have to cover the packaging costs ($9) and I'll absorb the Paypal transaction fee on top of the loss for selling significantly below market value.

P.S. Based on these shipping costs, all I've gotta say is it must suck being an electronics enthusiast and not being in the US; it's as if you either have to settle for sub-par shit test equipment to make things affordable, or pay up the ass to acquire test gear from a respectable US company.

P.P.S And I feel sorry for our brothers up in Canada, who consistently get fucked by an imaginary line that separates us from them.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:11:03 pm by slateraptor »

alm

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:13:32 pm »
Are you sure packaging material will be under 6 oz? I seem to remember packaging weighing much more, but it's been a while since I've shipped something heavy. Note that designing packaging for an airdrop is about right, a few layers of bubble wrap and a flimsy box are definitely not going to cut it unless you are very lucky. The most fragile part is usually the front panel with all the knobs and shafts that will fracture on impact. Double boxing is usually the safest, but may increase the dimensions and weight by too much.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »
Are you sure packaging material will be under 6 oz? I seem to remember packaging weighing much more, but it's been a while since I've shipped something heavy. Note that designing packaging for an airdrop is about right, a few layers of bubble wrap and a flimsy box are definitely not going to cut it unless you are very lucky. The most fragile part is usually the front panel with all the knobs and shafts that will fracture on impact. Double boxing is usually the safest, but may increase the dimensions and weight by too much.

The box isn't flimsy; for $3.79, it sure as hell better survive a bit of abuse in transit. I'll be cutting out some cardboard and folding it over the face panel. Then there's that 30 ft of bubble wrap that cost me $4.97 to go around the scope. Then there's a few small empty USPS Flat Rate boxes to place on all 6 sides for buffering; this should compensate for double boxing and has worked well for me in the past. Any additional space will be filled with wadded newspaper. The handle will also be disassembled from its case to allow for more buffer room on the sides.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:53:41 pm »
P.S. International inquiries can use USPS International Price Calculator large box option with the following dimensions to get an idea of what shipping to your country will cost (post office price, as the package will be hand-dropped and paid for at my local post office):

17 lbs 0 oz
20"x14"x10"

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:40 pm »
if you would, i guess it would cost simply too much to ship it into hungary :( due to its weight

$117.25 for Express, $100.60 for Priority...holy shit. :o

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:43 pm »
Wonder how much to ship to ZA........ Probably almost as much as the scope, unless you send by sea.

$133.15 for Express, $112.15 for Priority...JESUS!! :o

P.S. Wouldn't even know where to begin if shipping by sea. ???
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:06:24 pm by slateraptor »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »
Might be worth your while getting a price on international shipping

And just for shits and grins, to Ireland is same as to Slovenia: $101.70 for Express, $75.50 for Priority

Curious why Hungary is so much more expensive despite being right next door to Slovenia. I would think there'd be a discount by affiliation seeing as how we're a country of fat asses lol...get it...Hungary...fat asses. Ok bad joke. :-\

Offline wdm223

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:37:20 am »
i live in the united states and am defiantly interested in this item.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:08:59 am »

That's cheap!
Many ebay test gear merchants won't even offer USPS as an option, so it's $500+ for courier! or you can try to use a service like http://www.myus.com/
Those who live in the US are in surplus test equipment heaven.

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 02:42:01 am »
i live in the united states and am defiantly interested in this item.

I'm giving Slovenia a chance first. If he flops, we can talk.

Those who live in the US are in surplus test equipment heaven.

For reals. I hadn't fully absorbed just how bad the rest of the world has it until looking closer at shipping costs today.

Offline Mischa

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:12:53 am »
Yeah, shipping for the US REALLY sucks. If it was in EU i wouldn't pay VAT (20% of price+shipping+some other small fees), only shipping. So you are right, it sucks to be enthusiast or even pro in electronics when you want gear like this. And there are other things too; i often have to buy in/out coupling transformer from the US. I can get them here, but best transformers (for me) are made in the US by Jensen and Cinemag. Another option is very expensive Lundahl (which doesn't have as many models i want) or often not so good Sowter in EU. It really hurts me when i look at selling prices from Jensen/Cinemag and then comapre to final price with shipping and other charges. It used to be pretty cheap when dollar and nickel prices were lower, but a few years ago nickel prices started to rise very fast and dollar too.
I hope to get through with this deal, there are some advantages with this model.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:10:02 am by Mischa »

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »

thank you :)

btw i bet the prices for our country is mostly due to the local laws or some insane tax by the goverment, our base tax on everything is 27%, but i wonder why the neighbour country is cheaper

alm

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »
Shipping costs do not include VAT, customs will usually charge the receiver for VAT + duty over the value of the contents + shipping costs. My guess is that price differences are either due to trade treaties which may simplify the customs clearance, or because the local postal service charges more.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »
Yes, and it is worse if you realise that the recipient postal authority does all the delivery work essentially for free, as the originator is getting paid to place it on the plane and pay the airfreight only for the whole container. International postage is based on the sender pays, the recipient does it all for free. Overall it all averages out.

Cheaper is to pack it and go to an international airport and send air cargo to the recipient's nearest international airport. There you only pay the actual airfreight, the recipient is responsible for all other fees. Needs trust and good communications between you, but doable, and a little more reliable than post and cheaper than courier as you basically do all the work of the courier between the two of you.

Last stuff I sent to the USA was a parcel of 2kg, cost $15 for surface mail, air would have been more than double. most of the mass of that parcel was packing material, as it was lamps, holders and a few other odds.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 04:22:10 pm »
Well, the bad news is I ended up selling the 2225 to a local buyer, not a forum member. :-[ Sorry again to Mischa.

The good news is it sold for more than the $75 asking price, so I couldn't turn the offer down. To whom? Evidently, the president/director of a local construction/engineering firm who happened to have industry background in RF engineering.

And the ugly: He said the 2225 will be used as a substitute scope for the primary Picotech unit that their technicians use for field work because he doesn't want to send it to Puerto Rico with a dedicated laptop and risk loss/damage...so it's pretty much cannon fodder. :-\

It was pretty intimidating to have the president of a large company in average Joe attire walk into my shithole apartment wanting to buy something that I own. The first thing I did was apologize for the crudity and disarray of my bedroom/personal lab...then he was like, "I wouldn't expect anything less from an engineering student."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:24:21 pm by slateraptor »

Offline Mischa

• Contributor
Re: [SOLD] Tek 2225 50MHz Oscilloscope - $75 + shipping
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 07:45:27 pm »
Yeah, i will have to spend some more time. If anyone of you guys who bought 2225 scopes from that auctions want to sell them, please let me know. I can offer 111$ for a scope (i think it's fair price), 10$ for packaging and pay other expenses like shipping with insurance. You will not have any expenses and get 111$ for a scope, if you don't mind going to post office. This is what i offered to Slateraptor before he sold it to another person, i knew 75$ is a little too cheap.
I would also buy other Tek scope that is built and silent like 2225. If you make me an offer please keep your word because i'm short with time.

Cheers, Mischa
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:12:36 pm by Mischa »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf