Author Topic: FS: [US] Tektronix SC502 98% working  (Read 744 times)

Offline BlownUpCapacitorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
FS: [US] Tektronix SC502 98% working
« on: May 03, 2024, 06:44:44 pm »
I have an SC502 that I want to sell. I see an SC503 going for $500 on ebay, but as we all know, ebay really likes to inflate prices.

I don't see many of these SC502s being sold so I'm not sure of a good price to sell it at while I don't sell it for too cheap, or have the price too high so some poor fellow spends too much money (true story).

This SC502 works perfectly fine with one issue, the trigger source select switches offset the trace? This only happens to channel 2. Channel 2 is centered when sourcing the trigger from CH2. But when I switch it to CH1, it offsets the trace by about 1.5 divisions. I don't find this much of a problem though as I can just re-position the trace. If you fiddle around with the switch a little bit you can get CH2 to center again, but it's a difficult to hit sweet spot.

I'm sure this is just some bad contacts, but no matter how much deoxit I spray into it, it doesn't help.

Well, that's the only issue! Everything else works fine. Mag registration was calibrated, and the scope seems to be in decent cal. Could use some more work, but I'm selling this anyways and don't want to re calibrate it as I would have to disassemble my TM504 unit.

This unit was modded by me to add a function so that a DC504 frequency counter can measure the frequency being inputed into the scope. This is done by soldering a wire and siphoning off the trigger input signal and connecting it to the DC504 internal input through the TM500 power unit. You will have to desolder the 51 ohm terminating resistor though in the DC504.

The SC502 also had a recent repair: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-sc502-alt-and-chop-mode-fault/

I fixed it my replacing Q350 and it works perfectly now (apart from the trig source trace offset).

I'm thinking $300????? But I really don't have that much of an idea...  :-//

I have fallen into the tek scope addiction and now have 7 tektronix oscilloscopes. I need to thin a herd a bit... Then use the new money to buy 3 more tek scopes  :-DD

If you are picking this unit up locally, you are free to test it all you want before finalizing the purchase. I have an FG501 and PG501 unit you can use to test it.

I am selling only the scope. No TM500 power unit nor any cables.

Located in Carmichael, California, USA.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 12:10:16 am by BlownUpCapacitor »
Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
Re: FS: Tektronix SC502 98% working
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 09:18:06 pm »
I might add that the serial number is B021284. It was a former unit from SCC, a local community college.

I will also ship. I will try my best to pack it well. PM to discuss this.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 05:07:37 am by BlownUpCapacitor »

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
Re: FS: Tektronix SC502 98% working
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 09:39:16 pm »

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
Re: FS: [US] Tektronix SC502 98% working
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 02:36:09 am »
Price dropped by $60 from its original price. Also, the FG501 for testing has become unavailable because I sold it. I bought a BK 4040 from a friend and that will be used for testing now if you want.

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
Re: FS: [US] Tektronix SC502 98% working
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:21:56 pm »
Found the new Tek part on ebay that is meant to "fix" the focus issue. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154073879417?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ykZyle-oQuy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=CTI57OxBQDq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The original pot was 2.0 Meg. This one is 2.5 Meg. The 2.0 Meg in my SC502 works just fine tho.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf