Author Topic: [FS UK/EU] Hameg COMBISCOPE HM1508 - 150MHz 4 channel DSO & analog scope  (Read 1893 times)

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electron Fiddler, FPGA Hacker, Embedded Systems EE
I am selling this Hameg Combiscope model HM1508 for £500 £350 (see eBay listing)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hameg-Combiscope-HM1508-Digital-and-Analog-Combination-150MHz-4ch-Oscilloscope/132393261147#shpCntId

I acquired this from my previous employer as it was stored as faulty - the only fault was that the mains power fuse was blown.  Replacing it with the correct rating (800mA time blow, instead of 125mA fast) restored the unit to working order.  I already have a good digital oscilloscope, so the unit is surplus to requirements and available for sale.  I cannot find similar units for sale on various websites; I have estimated a price of £500, but am willing to accept a reasonable offer.  It is around 10 years old according to the documentation that I can find, and was a £3,500 instrument when new. 

This is a combination analogue/digital scope with a bandwidth of 150MHz and a digital sampling rate of 1GSa/s.  This puts it in decent competition with the likes of the Rigol DS1000Z series.  The analogue mode is usable down to 5ns/div in the 10X mode with good intensity and useful for the full analogue bandwidth.  The instrument can also perform waveform measurements in the analogue mode, such as frequency and measurements between cursors.  For analysing digital signals, the instrument can be switched into the digital mode with a push of a button and the instrument then performs like a conventional DSO (featuring 1MB of waveform memory), with specifications similar to a Rigol DS1000Z or Agilent 1000X series, albeit with only limited intensity grading (when zoomed out).  However, that is complemented by the fact that this is a real analogue oscilloscope, and at a push of a button and you can get actual analogue persistence and averaging on the real CRT!   It even has a pre-trigger in the DSO mode. The oscilloscope also features an Autoset function, as well as an intuitive graphical menu interface, which can be used in both analogue and digital modes.  Truly the best of both worlds, before high-performance DSOs took over completely.

The instrument features two full-scale analogue channels with a bandwidth of 150MHz and two logic-optimised channels which can be displayed as logic channels or used as triggers.   Channel 4 can also be used as a Z-mod channel for those guys who like to make oscilloscope monitors.  Just feed this X and Y ramp signals, and a video signal on the Z, and you'd be able to catch all your favourite soaps on the 3.5" CRT.

The instrument is in full working order aside from one minor issue and that is that the smaller encoders/dials on the front of the unit could do with some TLC.  They can stick and fail to register movement occasionally (though all seem to move); I believe this to be a common fault with Hameg's instruments but I do not have the time nor willingness to replace the encoders that are responsible for this fault. All the encoders are still usable so this would still make a perfectly usable instrument without repairing these.  The instrument passes its self cal with no faults reported.

The unit can be shipped to the UK and Europe for approximately £35 (insured) but if my asking price is met I will include the shipping free of charge within the UK and for most EU countries.  Alternatively the unit can be collected from my Leeds address.  Please note, I am supplying just the unit itself and no probes, manuals or other parts.  As far as I know the instrument's calibration is expired.  It passed its last PAT test but because the cover has been removed since, this is likely to be void.  Still, it shows it is in reasonable order.

Please PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:30:56 pm by tom66 »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
Some additional pictures of the display, showing a few of the instrument's functions.

Note that the readout appears somewhat blurry - this is purely an artefact of bloom on the camera.  The readout and the trace has extremely fine focus.  I've never seen an analogue scope with focus this fine, even when set to the highest brightness where focus might typically drift this scope is super sharp.     This is probably because it has a late-generation CRT in it with precision digital electronics controlling it.   Of course focus and trace rotation can be adjusted from the settings menu should this be required.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
Re: [FS UK/EU] Hameg COMBISCOPE HM1508 - 150MHz 4 channel DSO & analog scope
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:37:34 am »
Price lowered, any takers?

Offline corn11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:37:45 am »
Just out of curiosity, do you know if this scope series has a HP Megazoom ASIC built in for the digital part or did they just copy the logo? :D I think it looks like the Megazoom logo on the HP/Agilent 54600 series scopes. I would be suprised if this logo isn't a registered trademark of HP/Keysight.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:41:12 am by corn11 »

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:20:31 pm »
Just out of curiosity, do you know if this scope series has a HP Megazoom ASIC built in for the digital part or did they just copy the logo? :D I think it looks like the Megazoom logo on the HP/Agilent 54600 series scopes. I would be suprised if this logo isn't a registered trademark of HP/Keysight.
It has an FPGA inside it for all of the DSO stuff, so no, it's not got a HP Megazoom ASIC.  I think the logo is just quite similar to MegaZoom coincidentally.

Offline corn11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:26:24 pm »
Thanks for the info! I've imagined something like that ;). I've looked up Hameg's and Keyight's registered trademarks in the german register and Hameg actually has tried to register the word mark Megazoom in 2004 but this has been refused probably because Keysight already filed an application in 2002 :D

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 01:17:43 pm »
Still available - will accept any reasonable offer.

Last week before it goes onto eBay

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf