Author Topic: HP 3478A $40 BIN USA  (Read 15182 times)

Online JwallingTopic starter

• Supporter
  • This is work?
HP 3478A $40 BIN USA
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:26:06 pm »
No affiliation. Damn good price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273468509011?
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: HP 3478A $40 BIN USA
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:55:13 pm »
Well that just sucks.  On vacation and I don't have my eBay or PayPal login information with me.  Sh!t |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »
Well that just sucks.  On vacation and I don't have my eBay or PayPal login information with me.  Sh!t |O

I just bought it for you. Send me a PM with your address and I'll have it drop-shipped to you. If you can't receive it, let me know and I'll ship it to myself, then forward on when you're ready for cost of postage and the original cost + shipping.

EDIT: From greyeagle1 to GreyWoolfe   :-DD
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:16:06 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, Vgkid, Doogs

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 02:10:52 pm »
Now that is service!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 02:29:08 pm »
Who wants to ship a bench multimeter to me?  ;D

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:02:35 am »
me too  loll

If greywoolfe doesn't take it, i will

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 12:14:07 am »
Small world, that's the guy I bought my Tek 2225 scope from a couple years ago. Good unit, smooth deal - no complaints.

Jwalling, nice gesture :-+

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 12:50:33 pm »
me too  loll

If greywoolfe doesn't take it, i will

I just heard from him. Someone will be there to receive it, so it's being drop-shipped directly to him - sorry.
Jay

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 02:41:28 am »
Jay, I checked and the meter was delivered.  FEDEX AND UPS ground in Florida is 1 day.  Something awesome to come home to.  Thank you so much again for your kindness.  Pictures to come.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 02:47:34 am »
Wow what a great story. Yea pics!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 03:04:17 am »
Wow what a great story. Yea pics!  :clap:
No worries, we will have a peek under her skirt. :-DMM

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 09:34:20 am »
Jay, I checked and the meter was delivered.  FEDEX AND UPS ground in Florida is 1 day.  Something awesome to come home to.  Thank you so much again for your kindness.  Pictures to come.

You're welcome! I hope you get many years of use out of it. After you verify that it works OK, be sure to check the battery which hold the calibration constants.
Jay

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 01:16:03 pm »

You're welcome! I hope you get many years of use out of it. After you verify that it works OK, be sure to check the battery which hold the calibration constants.

Will do.  I don't have a butane soldering iron but I do have a spare UPS that I can power one of my soldering stations on to replace it.  I found a thread on how to do just that.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:03 pm »

Will do.  I don't have a butane soldering iron but I do have a spare UPS that I can power one of my soldering stations on to replace it.  I found a thread on how to do just that.

You live in a tree?  :-//   :)

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 07:58:39 pm »

You live in a tree?  :-//   :)

OK, I've been re-reading that sentence and the previous posts for several minutes now.
I don't get it, but it's been a long day... ???
Jay

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 08:13:34 pm »
OK, I've been re-reading that sentence and the previous posts for several minutes now.
Both a butane soldering iron and a UPS make it sound like GreyWoolfe is off the grid somewhere.

Offline adrianarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 08:40:57 pm »
Here is one on auction in Vancouver, BC, Canada, right now $1!

https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/12204/item/multimeter-and-function-generator-a-1114465/

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 08:50:55 pm »
Both a butane soldering iron and a UPS make it sound like GreyWoolfe is off the grid somewhere.

OK, I got it now. GreyWoolfe's using a UPS made sense to me as you don't want to GND the + with it plugged into the mains.
Ehh... never-mind. I missed it. :=\
Jay

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 10:40:28 pm »

Considering here in Florida we have Faulty Power and light, that is not far off the mark. :-DD  I have 4 big UPSs to keep everything up in my office.  I had a  butane iron years ago but it was horrible at holding butane.  I will be better off using a UPS or my isolation transformer for my soldering station.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 01:27:16 am »
Since you have plenty of backup power, you can skip soldering in a standby battery and just keep the 3478A powered with a UPS while doing the replacement operation.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 03:24:48 am »
Since you have plenty of backup power, you can skip soldering in a standby battery and just keep the 3478A powered with a UPS while doing the replacement operation.

D'oh!  Didn't think of that.  :palm:  The whole workbench, including the soldering stations, is on its own UPS.

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 03:45:03 am »

Considering here in Florida we have Faulty Power and light, that is not far off the mark. :-DD  I have 4 big UPSs to keep everything up in my office.  I had a  butane iron years ago but it was horrible at holding butane.  I will be better off using a UPS or my isolation transformer for my soldering station.
I am too much of a noob to have picked up the isolated soldering iron connection, but I have learned something, actually two things..you don't live in a tree :)
It's a big state, but we buy our power from the same company and I have a generator which gets used all too often. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Howdy neighbor!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 02:18:17 am »

I am too much of a noob to have picked up the isolated soldering iron connection, but I have learned something, actually two things..you don't live in a tree :)
It's a big state, but we buy our power from the same company and I have a generator which gets used all too often. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. Howdy neighbor!

Howdy neighbor! ;D  I live in Edgewater now but I have lived in Hollywood Beach and Hallandale Beach.  The generator only has to come out after hurricanes.  No, I don't live in a tree but my 80 meter full wave loop does live in the trees!!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 12:53:38 am »
So I got to unbox the meter!!! :clap: :clap:  As you can see, lots of bubble wrap and packing peanuts.  The second pic shows the face of the meter, extra bubble wrap.  The next pic shows the bezel of the meter, clean but with a broken power button, it still works.  You can see that it says uncalibrated.  Just a quick play shows the reading of a 1R1, 10% resistor, so it is a bit off.  As a comparison, my HP 3466A shows 1R08 and my GW Instek GDM-8251A shows 1R24.  I will get out my HeathKit scope calibrator for some DC voltages and get some comparisons and then I will open her up and see what is under the skirt.  Too tired after 14 hours on the road Saturday and another 6 hours today with a stop in between to pick up the dogs left at my mother-in-law's house.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 04:42:02 am »
Good to see it was well packed. That seems rare nowadays with eBay sellers.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf