Author Topic: I have an 5" Oscilloscope repair kit from 1967 I would like to sell.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline SmurfTopic starter

Please check photos It says Device 26-K-2 5" Oscilloscope on the boxes comes with Cathode-Ray Tube RCA 5UP1 in original box. Was not sure what to ask for it for the whole kit?

Offline Jeff eelcr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: I have an 5" Oscilloscope repair kit from 1967 I would like to sell.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 11:38:37 pm »
Looks more like a kit to build an oscilloscope, thats missing a few parts.
Jeff

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 11:55:26 pm »
   First, it's a brand that no one has ever heard of, and second it's performance is decades out of date, then there's no assembly instructions and I'm sure that other parts are missing, like the chassis. Next, all of carbon comp resistors have almost certainly drifted out and spec and you can also be 100% certain that the electrolytic caps are all bad.

IMO, it's not worth any more than what the CRT might be worth.

IIRC the 5UP1 CRT was a WW-II mil surplus CRT and available cheaply in the 1960s so it was widely used in kit and other other cheap oscilloscopes. I have no idea what one is worth today.

OTOH is any of those caps are the same as any used in old Hi-Fi equipment like guitar amps, then the AudioPhools might pay good money for them. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 01:36:52 am »
That looks just like the Eico kit oscilloscope my uncle found at a hamfest ~30 years ago.

Unbuilt vintage kits are often valuable, if you want top dollar put it on ebay, you might get anywhere from $100 to several hundred dollars for it. That is if it's complete. I don't see the chassis, cabinet or power transformer there, you'll need to inventory the parts.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 03:16:19 am »
Indeed it looks like an Eico oscilloscope and it looks like a training kit from the 1950s - unbranded.

I could only find a single reference to it behind a paywall (searched for oscilloscope kit "26-k-2"), but it is unclear if an assembly or technical manual is available.

As others have said, it is simply a collection of random parts if it is not an entire set and a manual. The chassis seems to be missing, but it might not be an enclosed unit (it is a training kit after all). The power transformer is there, which could gather a few bucks; the valve sockets can also get you some money back; the CRT might be worth for some enthusiasts; the mica capacitors are still good but are not worth much; the potentiometers and switches can get some value - especially the dual gang ones. You can still sell the large electrolytic can as NOS (enthusiasts buy those to fit with modern parts inside). The carbon composition resistors might have drifted, just like the paper capacitors. 

Good luck!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 03:54:30 am »
Perhaps an Eico manual would cover it? It may be identical to one of their regular models. Depending on how much is missing it might be possible to put it together but it would be a fairly advanced project. It's cool to see it at any rate, I'm always surprised when expensive kits turn up unbuilt. It's hard to imagine spending the equivalent of hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a kit and then not putting it together.

Offline modz786

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 09:04:10 am »
what price you hoping for?

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 02:15:12 pm »
  I see five or six tube sockets in one of the boxes and a socket for the CRT in another box, so it looks like all of the tubes (other than the CRT) are missing.   I also see metal brackets that look like they're intended to brace the front panel to the chassis.  So it looks like there should be a metal chassis and a metal enclosure with this.  Considering the relatively high voltage in tube type circuits and the vulnerability of glass tubes to breakage, I doubt that the kits was sold without a chassis and an enclosure but you never know what a manufacturer will do to save a few pennies.

Let me guess, estate sale or garage sale find and the OP got one box of two.

For what ever it's worth, I do have a VTVM that came from NRI with a chassis and front panel but no case (it has a home made case now) and I remember that Heathkit did sell kits minus the enclosure but I never saw anyone buy a kit without one. I bought and built a lot of Heathkit and other kits back in the day.

From what I remember, it does look like the old Eico scope that I had at one time.  I've never heard the "Device" brand name, I'm guessing that it was rebranded for a trade school or a by-mail correspondence course. Device sounds like an odd name. I wonder if it might a take off on the name DeVry? They operated a mail order correspondence course.

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 11:44:39 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 01:46:28 am »
  I see five or six tube sockets in one of the boxes and a socket for the CRT in another box, so it looks like all of the tubes (other than the CRT) are missing.
Stray, the tubes are in the fourth picture, under the trimmer and capacitors. They are inside their original boxes.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 06:17:31 am »
It looks to me like it's almost all there, the main things missing are the chassis, cabinet and a manual. The chassis was probably just a simple folded aluminum box with an open bottom, the cabinet could be trickier. This might make a nice restoration kit for a ratty beat up scope.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 04:31:15 pm by james_s »

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 01:25:11 pm »
Could go this route :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf