Author Topic: Interest in HP Button Spring Metal?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline don.rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Interest in HP Button Spring Metal?
« on: March 02, 2018, 12:05:13 am »
I have a 3456A with some missing button springs. I can get my hands on some 1095 Hard Carbon steel (0.002" thick) but the quantity is WAY more than I would ever need. Would anyone be interested in buying some off me? I can sell it in 3" wide (makes about 21 button springs) strips cut to the correct length (about 14mm).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:08:51 am by don.r »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Interest in HP Button Spring Metal?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:22:25 am »
Don, you might also check with any who have a repair thread for HP gear with that kind of keyboard. I remember reading about some in the past, at least one of which talked about restoring key functionality.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:13 am »
I looked at a few. I have reinserted all the springs I have and for them the keyboard works fine but I will need new springs for the rest and they aren't easy to come by from what I can see.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:59:13 am »
Yeah, I meant in case someone has a thread where they need such springs since they may not be watching this forum.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 01:16:56 am »
Oh right! Haha... I'll post in the repair and test forums.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:20:17 am »
Cool. I'm glad I noticed this.

What size roll(s) are you buying?
Is it the McMaster-Carr Number 4855566
19503K11 Blue-Tempered Spring Steel Shim Stock Roll, .002" Thick, 3" Width X 50" Length

I'd be happy to buy a whole roll or two. plus postage to Australia. It's the sort of thing I'd end up using for other things, besides the HP button springs I need.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 04:23:34 pm »
Cool. I'm glad I noticed this.

What size roll(s) are you buying?
Is it the McMaster-Carr Number 4855566
19503K11 Blue-Tempered Spring Steel Shim Stock Roll, .002" Thick, 3" Width X 50" Length

I'd be happy to buy a whole roll or two. plus postage to Australia. It's the sort of thing I'd end up using for other things, besides the HP button springs I need.

Its a very similar one. Apparently it comes flat !!!... all 50 inches of it. I was only going to buy 1 sheet and cut it up. Its US$35 delivered for the first sheet and US$21 for sheet each sheet after to me. I would have to investigate postage to you. They are sold on Amazon, maybe you can order it direct. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065V03A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

PS: If you do manage to get some I would be interested in buying a few inches of it off you as that is all I really need for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:34:07 pm by don.r »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 11:12:13 am »
I have a 3456A with some missing button springs. I can get my hands on some 1095 Hard Carbon steel (0.002" thick) but the quantity is WAY more than I would ever need. Would anyone be interested in buying some off me? I can sell it in 3" wide (makes about 21 button springs) strips cut to the correct length (about 14mm).
For something available in small qtys and a variety of sizes, how about guitar strings ?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 01:08:54 pm »
AFAIK member free_electron has lots of these. Anyway last time I restored these buttons I inserted small coil springs inside (there is a hole) instead of the metal clips.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 04:01:34 pm »
For something available in small qtys and a variety of sizes, how about guitar strings ?

Unfortunately guitar strings are too narrow for this application. The springs HP uses are 0.002" X 0.14" X 0.588"

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 04:03:26 pm »
AFAIK member free_electron has lots of these. Anyway last time I restored these buttons I inserted small coil springs inside (there is a hole) instead of the metal clips.

Great idea! Since I'm only interested in functionality and not authenticity I'll give it a go with some small springs. Getting the caps off might be tricky on some keys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf