Author Topic: Is this scope worth buying?  (Read 528 times)

Offline JaredreabowTopic starter

Is this scope worth buying?
« on: March 22, 2024, 11:45:15 pm »
I am looking for a scape with decent logic analyser functionality, the R&S rtb2002 looks pretty good and the logic probe is nea impossible to find, so this seems like a hood bundle. Thoughts?

My use case is lots of different reverse engineering projects

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/134980112355?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=cMSJ883pSXG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=cMSJ883pSXG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Offline shabaz

• Regular Contributor
Re: Is this scope worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 11:55:47 pm »
Very decent price currently. There's a lot to be said for the good screen size on it too. I saw one in the flesh when it was first launched at an Embedded World, and it looked like a great all-round oscilloscope, it was a key highlight at the show. At that price today, I would buy it, impossible to know what level the bidding will reach of course.
You might still need to one day buy a dedicated logic analyzer (either for some additional functionality or memory or just convenience/portability) so that you have both options at hand (because the dedicated logic analyzers are missing capabilities that the 'scope will have, specifically, looking at signal quality in detail).

Offline alonsojar

• Contributor
Re: Is this scope worth buying?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 11:14:58 pm »
Hello,
I think it is a great scope if you can live with only 2 analog channels. But the information provided is not complete.

These scopes have many options that are locked from factory unless licensed. You should bear in mind that any upgrade to the scope is really expensive and will cost probably more than the scope final price itself, so it's important to know what it's included in the scope. Btw, this scope is not hackable as far as I know.

It has only 100MHz, and this can be a limitation, but also you should ask the seller about any other options included.
At least it should have the B1 option that allows the use of the digital channels. If not, the digital probe is useless.
Also it should be desirable to have some decoding options (uart, i2c, spi etc..) because from factory only parallel protocols are included.
If you plan to use the built in Function Generator and ARB also a license will be required and the same for Segmented Memory and Bode plot....
I attach the a sample screen from a scope with every option.

It's also strange that only one digital probe set is included because it comes from factory with 2 of them (8+8 digital channels) when B1 option is included.

My advice, be careful and do your homework before bidding. At the end I'm afraid this scope is very limited and  perhaps a Siglent or Rigol etc will have better price-performance that this one.

J. Alonso

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf