General > Buy/Sell/Wanted

Junior EE Student Looking for bench equipment

(1/3) > >>

MikeJuszkie:
I am a junior Electrical Engineering Student at Umass Lowell and I am currently am looking to build up my own electronics lab. Right now I am using a function generator that i made from a kit off of Jameco electronics,and a regular hand held multimeter. I have a good amount of components that I have collected over the years. I am looking for suggestions of what kind and tips to acquire these items

-Oscilloscope
-Function Generator
-DC Power supply

I have asked around the school but no one seems to be willing to part with any equipment any time soon, and this is makeing it hard for me to find deals a college student can afford.

Thank you for any assistance you may give

Bored@Work:

--- Quote from: MikeJuszkie on October 19, 2011, 05:11:05 am ---I am looking for suggestions of what kind and tips to acquire these items

-Oscilloscope
-Function Generator
-DC Power supply

--- End quote ---

For each of these items we had multiple extensive discussions in the past. Please read them.

Oscilloscope: Cheap used analog oscilloscope, hackable Rigol, hackable Hantek, or, if you can afford it, Agilent 2000X or 3000X.

Function generator: Rigol DS1022 (although I hate it), or DDS-3x25 (cheap, only usable with other software), or something used from the old HP

DC power supply: cheap Chinese duals 30V 3A. There are hundreds of "brands", and it is a bit of a gamble what quality you get. Or DIY, which is usually not cheaper, but ...

Ronnie:
If you are located in Massachusetts then you can check Test Equipment Depot http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ which sells new and used equipment.
It is located at 99 Washington Street, Melrose, MA 02176-6024
Phone: 781.665.1400 / 800.517.8431
Fax: 781.665.0780
email: sales@testequipmentdepot.com

alm:

--- Quote from: BoredAtWork on October 19, 2011, 06:15:53 am ---Function generator: Rigol DS1022 (although I hate it), or DDS-3x25 (cheap, only usable with other software), or something used from the old HP

--- End quote ---
I assume you mean DG1022. Would you really recommend a $500 arbitrary function generator with lousy software support to someone just starting a lab? In my opinion even a basic analog function generator with a few MHz bandwidth like the old Wavetek models would probably suffice, although DDS is so much better that I would spring for a DDS generator if it fits within your budget. The GW-Instek SFG-1003 seems to have been received fairly well. The extra money is better spend elsewhere, in my opinion.

I consider the DDS-3x25 more of a specialized device. It's not very convenient to use computer control for a quick measurement in my opinion, and the limited output amplitude can be an issue when playing with old 5V+ circuits.

--- Quote from: BoredAtWork on October 19, 2011, 06:15:53 am ---DC power supply: cheap Chinese duals 30V 3A. There are hundreds of "brands", and it is a bit of a gamble what quality you get. Or DIY, which is usually not cheaper, but ...

--- End quote ---
Or used. It's not like there has been a lot of development in basic linear power supplies recently, and they're usually easy to fix.

Bored@Work:

--- Quote from: alm on October 19, 2011, 01:52:34 pm ---I assume you mean DG1022.
--- End quote ---
Yes, sorry for the mixup.

--- Quote ---Would you really recommend a $500 arbitrary function generator with lousy software support to someone just starting a lab?
--- End quote ---
Well, it is popular. At least that is what people keep telling me here when I say it is a PoS taking the whole package, i.e. software, support, function into account. And what are the alternatives? Certainly not the Atten AF20B / Siglent SDG1020.

--- Quote ---In my opinion even a basic analog function generator with a few MHz bandwidth like the old Wavetek models would probably suffice, although DDS is so much better that I would spring for a DDS generator if it fits within your budget.
--- End quote ---

Since he is going to become an EE I would recommend DDS with ARB. Because if done right (i.e. not like in the Atten AF20B) there is a lot of flexibility and features to benefit from.

--- Quote ---The GW-Instek SFG-1003
--- End quote ---
For me Instek felt from grace when they let us terribly down with a repair job. Not that I suggest you would get any repairs from Rigol or Atten, but Instek painted themselves as being better than the average Asian supplier. But if someone wants to go with them ...

--- Quote ---I consider the DDS-3x25 more of a specialized device. It's not very convenient to use computer control for a quick measurement in my opinion, and the limited output amplitude can be an issue when playing with old 5V+ circuits.
--- End quote ---

It is the other end of the specrum, cheap. And like with the DG1022 people here keep telling me it is great and would kill me if I write it is a cheap PoS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version