Author Topic: Looking for a decent function generator for < $100 shipped.  (Read 3705 times)

Offline FenderBenderTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
Looking for a decent function generator for < $100 shipped.
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:04 pm »
I have a oscilloscope on the way that will  probably require calibration and I need one anyway, so I was curious if anyone had any suggestions on some good function generators that can be had for under $100 shipped. So say $80-90...

I've seen some pretty good looking DDS ones, but I'm thinking that some old analog stuff might not be bad either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a decent function generator for < $100 shipped.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:57 am »
Well after some looking, I chose this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150725450410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'll tell you guys how it is.

Offline RandyInLA

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:05:15 am »
I am also looking for an inexpensive function generator.  Hope it works out for you and I look forward to hearing your review of it.

-=Randy

Offline eternal_noob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:55 pm »
I recently bought a similar 5MHz DDS, one of those in a toy like plastic case, you know.
It's working well, but the main problem is the absolutely P.O.S crappy potmeters they have soldered onto these things. What a shame. Why couldn't they spend an extra dollar or two on a decent pot, fer friggs sakes...
Be prepared to yank them out, you'll probably need to do that sooner or later. I see Bourns are making similar potmeters that may fit without problems.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:52:31 pm by eternal_noob »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »
One thing to note. You cannot manually change the wave's peak-to-peak voltage...which is a bit of a let down, in my opinion. It's definitely possible. They have some pretty capable electronics on that board...too bad.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:39:28 pm by FenderBender »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:39:00 pm »
I recently bought a similar 5MHz DDS, one of those in a toy like plastic case, you know.
It's working well, but the main problem is the absolutely P.O.S crappy potmeters they have soldered onto these things. What a shame. Why couldn't they spend an extra dollar or two on a decent pot, fer friggs sakes...
Be prepared to yank them out, you'll probably need to do that sooner or later. I see Bourns are making similar potmeters that may fit without problems.

I'm not sure if this is a pot or rotary encoder because I don't own it yet. I think if it's a rotary encoder, it will probably last longer, but I can't be sure

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf