Author Topic: Moderator Help Vintage Electronics  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Moderator Help Vintage Electronics
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 05:44:47 am »
mine... mine mine mine

Indeed...hope they eBay it out...actually hope the moderators delete the thread...the pity story, and death, and buying my first car, gets pretyy damn old. I offered them eactly what the asked for....cash for the entire lot...blah blah.

Offline toastedcrumpets

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 07:12:21 am »
To be fair to them, they're dealing with something inherited so family politics will kick in as soon as people start to think that "rusty junk that dave disposed of" is actually quite valuable.
Also if you look at some of the "for sale" prices of the equipment on Ebay it can seem like really large amount of money (e.g. $1k+ for each fluke calibrator), even though those aren't the actual prices the items typically sell for (and they're refurbished).

Ultimately I hope that this stuff makes it on to the market, its a proper Aladin's cave and should be in use on some hobbyist's bench rather than rusting away.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 07:28:04 am »
They certainly will not have any appreciation of the amount of effort they will need to put in to be able to accurately present these items to get the best value - and that's assuming they can find the expertise to do so.

Then there's the issue of - once you've set a fair and reasonable price, you have to have a buyer who is prepared to part with that amount.

If they want to sell the collection piecemeal, it's going to take a lot of time, a lot of effort .... and a lot of patience.

Offline DavestuffTopic starter

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 01:32:20 pm »
Inverted, I will keep this brief. It’s my son trying to sell the stuff. You never made him an offer til your last post. You asked him repeatedly for a lot price.He has been organizing it all and has been struggling with coming up with a price. He didn’t want to ask too low (like $2,000 and miss out or too high and scare you off) WE DON’T KNOW THE VALUE OF THIS STUFF. He was trying to take pics and ask people here what might be a fair value, as suggested by others here.  Had you told him you were thinking $8-10 K, he would have fallen over with joy. You had told him you weren’t interested in maximizing his profits but suggested if there were some good items, you would tell him and he could set them aside and sell them individually. That’s all he was suggesting. If you are still interested let him know. If not, thats fine too. Perhaps he shouldn’t have posted here until he had it organized with a number in mind. The kid is beating himself up thinking he pissed you off, go easy, man.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:38 pm »
It's tricky if you do not know what the stuff is. So the only 2 ways of dealing with this that i see are to go through it item by item and find out what it is worth or seek an offer on it or take your chances with a job lot offer or break it into lots but if you do not know what it is that is difficult.

I once hoped my dad would sell all of his valves individually but he could not be bothered listing them individually and I think feared that if he went through them individually he'd fall back in love with them. To this day i don't think he got a great price but he wanted it all gone.

And yes your post is allowed as clearly you are not doing this commercially and it's understood that you have no electronic interest.

Offline toastedcrumpets

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 02:58:39 pm »
I think "Inverted18650" maybe has come on a little strong expecting you to be ready to sell.... must be the sight of all those Fluke calibrators.... :scared: :bullshit:

Davestuff, I think the best thing you can do is just get a list and photo of everything you have, a proper inventory, then look on ebay at SOLD listings (its a special filter/search option), in particular where items have been sold as "untested/not working". This would give you a low end estimate for the value of your hoard/certain items, as you probably wont be able to find everything there. That would protect you from lowball offers (p.s. I don't think Inverted's offer of 8-10k is a low-ball offer, given he has to transport it and sort it all out, but I'd pay that in a heartbeat myself if you were in the UK, transport and sorting is a big issue here).

Once you have that number in mind, then post a new listing here with the info and how you want to sell it. At 8-10k asking price I think you'll get a lot of offers.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 03:10:37 pm »
Davestuff,

If you don't know the value and have some time, I think you should:

1- Open a ebay account
2- For each item
    a. Clean the item the best you can
    b. Take really good picture (well lit)
    c. Find the brand and model number (also all the info you can find on the item itself)
    d. Post a new auction on ebay as "Broken for parts" and explain tant you can't test the item.
    e. Set the inital price really low.
    f. Look at the ebayer set the real value for you (it's an auction).
    g. Ship the item.
3- Repeat for all items.

It will take time but it's a good way to get a fair price. And you don't even need to understand what you are selling.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 05:18:40 pm »
I was expecting that the lot was "for sale" and should not have gotten that angry. Left like a hustle due to the way young man talks around price. I lost my temper and I apologize.

IMO: The most expensive items you have are the radios, so take special care to get those checked out. The other test gear adds up quickly at around $300-$500 each, even in "needs repair" condition. If some of those units are fully functional, you can get $1K plus. This is an amazing collection and if we can still make a deal for it all, than I am very interested; have cash and a trailer. I do not want to buy and "flip" these myself, I want to repair and use what I keep. The rest can go "at cost" to the rest of the community.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:27:52 pm by Inverted18650 »

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 03:03:42 am »
Seems the biggest issue here has been communication.  That is not uncommon, but now that there is a clearer picture, it seems we can move forward with better understanding.  I also apologise for drawing out an aspect of the situation that wasn't pertinent.

Would love to see the list of gear - and to see it find good homes.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 04:13:57 am »
I just loved the seagull scene from   Finding Nemo

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 07:27:31 am »
Inverted18650 might just have the TEA equivalent coming up if he closes the deal.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 12:26:36 am »
I gotta say, I feel terrible for going off on a rant like that. I feel like a piece of sh*t for my actions here, and beg you all to forgive me.

I am a proud military man; honor is what I've based my life on and the fact that they still talk to me is proof they are standup people. Not to make excuses for myself but rage is a common side effect of severe head trama and my brains been rattled around inside my skull more times that I can remember, literally.

I am still talking to the seller and I was quite honest about the items his grandfather left him. He may choose to sell me the entire lot "cash-n-carry" style but I am waiting to hear back. As  man of my word, if I do get it all, I will share it with you all as well, at cost, so we will all have a bit of T.E.A. coming in the near future!

Prost All,

Chris

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 03:47:18 am »
Update: The GOOD news is, I made a deal to buy it all and plan to go get the gear Sunday. I am spending a lot of cash, $8300, plus travel and related expenses,  to grab this gear and I hope you all will come through; buy it up so I can get even, without the need for eBay bidding. That being said, there are a few items that I must do the eBay thing for, because there value is really just what users/collectors are willing to pay for it. Should be fun for the birds of prey, to swoop in on ;)

I have replied to all the messages I have received thus far and will take those 1st come offers and hold that gear. I have a notebook that I am using to record dates and offers and will certainly to whatever I can to get it from me to you as cheaply as possible. I am not trying to turn a profit (a sign of my insanity), but I do need to sell most of it, simply because I cannot afford to keep it all. Additional, I am reserving the gear for the "forum pro's" as a thanks for their efforts and making this site the "go-to reference" it is today. (Yes, a bit for Dave, whom without, we'd all be less connected). They will get 1st right of refusal on any gear...for some I have offered them "bibs" for free...and I will follow through with it. (So that means the rest of us have to spend a bit more - just to be totally honest).

Scroll through the pics and PM me the unit you have your eyes on and I am making a detailed list of every PM I get. I probably will not check this thread again, so please PM me.

I will post pics of the lot, as soon as I can, under the T.E.A. thread. Then I will start cleaning and testing everything. (I cleared my calendar for the next two weeks!)  As I test the units, I will expect a competitive price for them (or keep them) so send your offers early for the best deals. All eBay listing will be no reserve, 7 day auctions, with global shipping available.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 04:19:06 am »
Pm sent about the resistors I’d shown interest in previously

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 04:36:31 am »
In my opinion you have made a very generous deal.  Best luck on getting through with the sales quickly and at no significant loss to you.

There is a message here for those of us who have accumulated large piles of gear and who are getting into the later years of our lives.  As a kindness to those left behind we should either arrange for disposal before we go, or at least leave a plan and instructions.  Something like an inventory with values and likely venues for disposal.  We all know the jewels we have, and the turds.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 04:47:11 am »
I will post pics of the lot, as soon as I can, under the T.E.A. thread. Then I will start cleaning and testing everything. (I cleared my calendar for the next two weeks!)  As I test the units, I will expect a competitive price for them (or keep them) so send your offers early for the best deals. All eBay listing will be no reserve, 7 day auctions, with global shipping available.

It will get lost in the TEA thread. There is 30 plus posts a day of other gossip and such every day anything you post will get lost very quickly pages behind.

It is worthy of being identified as a collection in its own thread and discussions that follow as you crack the top on and play getting items ready for sale. Then run a parallel thread here as they are ready to sell that will eventually expire. But the Collection thread will remain standalone of what it was.

Just my thoughts on keeping it clean :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW, Inverted18650

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 05:22:41 am »
In my opinion you have made a very generous deal.  Best luck on getting through with the sales quickly and at no significant loss to you.

There is a message here for those of us who have accumulated large piles of gear and who are getting into the later years of our lives.  As a kindness to those left behind we should either arrange for disposal before we go, or at least leave a plan and instructions.  Something like an inventory with values and likely venues for disposal.  We all know the jewels we have, and the turds.

Thank you mate. I said I wouldn't check this thread again, but it seems I must. I was extremely generous to the young man, but I also think the gear, given the entire lot and photos he has sent me, warrant the expenditure. I am an old military guy with not much else to do, so why not help the family and help the forum users if i can. I see it as a win-win.

edit: had to read the statement again...it didnt settle in the first time. But yeah, a WILL is a good thing, and you can even appoint others outside of the family to moderate and separate your belongings. Like a fellow T.E.A. member who watched you accumulate gear for the late 15 years.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:30:32 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 05:25:51 am »

It will get lost in the TEA thread. There is 30 plus posts a day of other gossip and such every day anything you post will get lost very quickly pages behind.

It is worthy of being identified as a collection in its own thread and discussions that follow as you crack the top on and play getting items ready for sale. Then run a parallel thread here as they are ready to sell that will eventually expire. But the Collection thread will remain standalone of what it was.

Just my thoughts on keeping it clean :)
[/quote]

Sounds like a better idea, thank you, and I will do it that way. Also "bean" if you have your eye on anything please PM me and let me know. You fall into the "forum pro" in my opinion...

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 05:31:10 am »
Pm sent about the resistors I’d shown interest in previously

reply sent

The following users thanked this post: PTR_1275

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:43 am »
Just start a new thread in the buy sell section. That is erm the entire point of having a buy/sell section ;)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 02:37:33 pm »
Just start a new thread in the buy sell section. That is erm the entire point of having a buy/sell section ;)

Yes sir, makes sense. I miss my brain sometimes... :P

Offline toastedcrumpets

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 08:39:02 pm »
I'm really intrigued what's in the box marked "secondary standard". I think everything is too expensive to ship to the UK, especially once you add customs onto it, but I sure would like that Fluke 5200A, but then that's probably the reason you're driving down there!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf