Author Topic: [SOLD] Moving house - free gear  (Read 4983 times)

Offline HowardlongTopic starter

• Super Contributor
[SOLD] Moving house - free gear
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:40:00 pm »
Folks

I am moving home, and I have the following gear free to a good home for pickup only, Central London. Please, no split, take it all or nothing!

You'll need a car, free parking is available outside in the evenings and most of the weekend.

PM me, I am under strict instructions from the powers that be to have this disposed of within a week.

o HP 1980B mainframe 4ch scope, works, be the envy of the greybeards with this classic bit of 1980s technology. Four HP 10073C 500MHz probes included.

o 2 x Tektronix 224 2ch portable DSO, both working, one in particular needs some TLC, (batteries long since gone, only one PSU (110v) and one set of probes)

o Tektronix 2336 2ch 100MHz portable oscilloscope with dual/delayed timebase. Works, good aesthetic condition. Probes included.

o Agilent 54622D 2+16ch 100MHz DSO, including Agilent 10074C 150MHz analogue probes and the digital probe set. Very good condition, works.

o Maynuo M9711 0-150V/150W DC electronic load, turns on and appears visually OK, but does not work, for spares or repair.

o Racal 9480 10MHz TCXO lab frequency standard, ten channel, works.

o Anritsu MT8802A Radio Comunication Analyzer 500kHz-3GHz, spares or repair, screen is dim and sig gen attenuator known to be u/s.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:26:04 am by Howardlong »

The following users thanked this post: MadTux

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Re: Moving house - free gear
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:48:10 pm »
Well, I'm at the wrong end of the country but that looks like a sweet deal for some lucky engineer.
Very kind of you!

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:01:18 pm »
I'm even in the wrong country  ;)
-- but most impressed with your generosity!

I hope the equipment finds a good home, and wish you well in your new place!

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 12:20:21 am »
I'm in the right place (Charing X 6 miles) and am sorely tempted, but the *look* I would get from SWMBO if I walked in the door with that lot would probably kill me. No way would I be able to keep all of it and I'd struggle to find good homes for that which I couldn't keep so, regretfully, I'm going to demure even though it hurts me to say so.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 05:38:24 am »
I'm not even in the right hemishpere ... which is probably a good thing.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 06:25:09 am »
The Maynuo M9711 looks like a fun repair - someone should grab the lot just for that!
VE7FM

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 06:32:36 am »
PM sent
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 06:39:30 am »

I'm in the right hemisphere, but wrong side of the pond. Hopefully, tggzzz can make a good home for it (and post lots of teardown pics).

All the best on your move, Howard.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 07:14:45 am »

I'm in the right hemisphere, but wrong side of the pond. Hopefully, tggzzz can make a good home for it (and post lots of teardown pics).

All the best on your move, Howard.

If I do get it, I'll pass on the bits I don't want to (nearby) forum members at the cost I paid.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:16 am »
If I do get it, I'll pass on the bits I don't want to (nearby) forum members at the cost I paid.

I would be interested to put up a fight with the Maynuo but I guess so are you.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Super Contributor
Re: [SOLD] Moving house - free gear
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 08:28:54 am »
Folks

I’ve had a dozen offers to help me in my decluttering, so I would imagine that this is now closed.

However, it is likely that you may find some of the items re-offered at a later date, but split out, by the person who’s taking them off my hands.

Thank you for your enthusiasm!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 08:31:09 am »
I inadvertently applied voltage the wrong way. Don’t do that!

I now have a hefty schottky diode semi permanently attached to my replacement unit to save me from myself.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 12:57:47 pm »
Holy shit, that's some nice gear!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 01:08:55 pm »

I now have a hefty schottky diode semi permanently attached to my replacement unit to save me from myself.
Is that the Maynuo? It's slightly disappointing that it doesn't come with protection of that nature.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 04:27:16 pm »

Is that the Maynuo? It's slightly disappointing that it doesn't come with protection of that nature.

If it IS the DC load then input reverse polarity protection as blunt as sticking a reverse biased schottky diode across the terminals is likely to be fatal to many a DUT. You're precisely likely to connect a DUT that doesn't have output short circuit protection (yet) during test and development. If you've added the protection diode yourself and, being external, it is hopefully obvious when you're connecting something to the terminals and hence, again hopefully, it would prompt you to think "Polarity?" and "Will a (near) short circuit kill this DUT?".

Equally, adding a series forward biased diode is going to compromise the accuracy and flexibility of the load - can't go down to zero volts, non linear voltage/current relationship introduced to the load path...

I'm not sure that there is a "one size fits all" reverse polarity protection scheme for DC loads. The best compromise is probably a forward biased diode in the current path, the sense path picked off on the 'outside' (DUT) side of the diode with the proviso that this scheme requires that the DC load can pull the 'inside' end of the diode below input common if you're to be able to get zero volts across the DUT. Even with a series diode, one would still need to protect the internal electronics from reverse breakdown from leakage through the series diode.

TL;DR - input protection on active DC loads might necessitate some compromises.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 07:46:57 am »

Oooohhh... That Agilent 54622D looks sexy!
tggzzz, please consider me as your next door neighbour (unless you intend to keep it for yourself).  ;)

Offline Kinkless Tetrode

• Regular Contributor
  • Tubes, Test & Measurement, Audio, and RF
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 10:19:22 am »
You will make some lucky souls very happy.  :-+

Hmm...I just checked and there are three daily flights direct to Heathrow from my nearby airport.  Perhaps, you could meet me at the airport and I could slide and stow that spectrum analyzer right under the seat in front of me and the BA flight attendants would not even notice.  :-DD
Whilst others count beans, I count electrons, and photons too.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 03:40:17 pm »

If it IS the DC load then input reverse polarity protection as blunt as sticking a reverse biased schottky diode across the terminals is likely to be fatal to many a DUT. You're precisely likely to connect a DUT that doesn't have output short circuit protection (yet) during test and development. If you've added the protection diode yourself and, being external, it is hopefully obvious when you're connecting something to the terminals and hence, again hopefully, it would prompt you to think "Polarity?" and "Will a (near) short circuit kill this DUT?".

Equally, adding a series forward biased diode is going to compromise the accuracy and flexibility of the load - can't go down to zero volts, non linear voltage/current relationship introduced to the load path...

I'm not sure that there is a "one size fits all" reverse polarity protection scheme for DC loads. The best compromise is probably a forward biased diode in the current path, the sense path picked off on the 'outside' (DUT) side of the diode with the proviso that this scheme requires that the DC load can pull the 'inside' end of the diode below input common if you're to be able to get zero volts across the DUT. Even with a series diode, one would still need to protect the internal electronics from reverse breakdown from leakage through the series diode.

TL;DR - input protection on active DC loads might necessitate some compromises.

It’s just across the terminals, it’s not inside. I’m not sure why you’d think it’s better to bust the test equipment rather that the DUT you’re developing?

FWIW, I am a low current, low voltage guy. I can’t remember the precise scenario that led to the failure, but it would have been <=5V and well under an amp.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 06:49:24 pm »
If this is the stuff you are getting rid off, is there somewhere on this forum a picture of your entire setup.
Just interested to see the bling  :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 10:22:52 pm »
It’s just across the terminals, it’s not inside. I’m not sure why you’d think it’s better to bust the test equipment rather that the DUT you’re developing?

I don't think that, and I don't think I implied it. My thought is just that it's hard to protect both the instrument and the DUT without compromising the instrument's abilities.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 10:48:02 am »

I don't think that, and I don't think I implied it. My thought is just that it's hard to protect both the instrument and the DUT without compromising the instrument's abilities.

One of the disappointments I've found with electronic loads is that their low current performance and accuracy is pretty dire: I've pretty much moved over to using SMUs for most of my purposes, but of course these are far more expensive than an electronic load!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:03:45 pm »
If this is the stuff you are getting rid off, is there somewhere on this forum a picture of your entire setup.
Just interested to see the bling  :)

I think there are some pics on the forum around, but here are a few. Note these were not all taken at the same time, so excuse the continuity errors!

The following users thanked this post: Kjelt

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 03:20:19 pm »
Ah, I see you too have a black ESD testing technician to 'assist' you.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 05:13:18 pm »
Beautifull aranged even with the lack of space. Are you moving larger, outside the city ?
The cat is an ESD test tool ? Rub it a few times over the cat if it still works it is ESD proof.  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 12:09:22 pm »
Beautifull aranged even with the lack of space. Are you moving larger, outside the city ?
The cat is an ESD test tool ? Rub it a few times over the cat if it still works it is ESD proof.  ;D

What I've found has worked well is the corner concept plus swivel chair, having the soldering and microscope area on one side and the development area on the other, with the bulky test equipment on the corner itself.

As you can probably tell, I don't like having to get out and put away kit. Having it immediately available saves a lot of time, but more importantly it means that you don't lose your train of thought.

Although I'm moving to a slightly larger property about a mile away, I discovered the hard way that the furnishings you might have bought to fit in one property will not fit in the new one.

I also tend to hoard stuff, much of it the result of the age old habit of starting projects, but not getting round to finishing them.

What I haven't told SWMBO yet is that I've targeted the walk in wardrobe for my new man cave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf