Author Topic: Re: FeelElec New Arrival FY-6900 Signal Generator  (Read 151268 times)

Offline thomastheo

• Regular Contributor
Re: FeelElec New Arrival FY-6900 Signal Generator
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2019, 12:26:07 pm »
It looked like a regular smd XO, with 10 MHz going straight into the fpga, but I could be mistaken. I only opened it up to have a quick glance at the internals before daring to plug it in. This turned out to be a good idea, because the cover screw had inconveniently drilled itself straight through the SMPS ribbon cable, pretty much shorting together the +-13.5v rails!

Other things I noticed were the NEC relays, with date codes ranging from 1997-2004. Three of the four had what looked like some kind of conformal coating on them, so I suspect these werent even NOS relays :D

Regardless, still a bargain, but quite hilarious. I'll have a closer look at the main board next time I have it open... when I replace the power supply.

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2019, 06:18:10 pm »
It looked like a regular smd XO, with 10 MHz going straight into the fpga, but I could be mistaken. I only opened it up to have a quick glance at the internals before daring to plug it in. This turned out to be a good idea, because the cover screw had inconveniently drilled itself straight through the SMPS ribbon cable, pretty much shorting together the +-13.5v rails!

Other things I noticed were the NEC relays, with date codes ranging from 1997-2004. Three of the four had what looked like some kind of conformal coating on them, so I suspect these werent even NOS relays :D

Regardless, still a bargain, but quite hilarious. I'll have a closer look at the main board next time I have it open... when I replace the power supply.

Just when you thought they couldn't get any cheaper! Their buyer (buying department) must be expert(s) at sniffing out bargains in the component supply chain. Perhaps they'd located a dirt cheap source of 10MHz XO and clock multiplier chips (not necessarily those NB3N502 ICs I mentioned) or perhaps an FPGA version that can be clocked with 10MHz rather than the more typical 50MHz - who knows how the inscrutable Chinese mind works?. :-\

Incidentally, are those +/-13.5v rails marked as such, or was it just what voltages you were seeing whilst the unit was delivering 20Vpp into 50 ohm dummy loads? Also, did you take the opportunity to repair the vandalism Feeltech had perpetrated in stealing one of the two ground return wires out of the ribbon cable in order to provide a hard connection to the PE terminal on that BFO C14 mains connector?

This latter act of vandalism really ought to be remedied, preferably by tripling up the one remaining ground return wire and patching out the missing wire similarly and, for good measure, remove the resulting ground loop issue by inserting a 3K3R or 10KR in series with the PE connection. The class II smpsu board used doesn't actually require a hard protective earth connection and even a 10KR "static drain" resistor is sufficient to knock the 90vac half mains live voltage ESD hazard of a 240v mains supply down to just half a volt ac or less.

At least one member who'd bought an FY6800 was saved the trouble and embarrassment of returning it with a "DC Offset fault" after heeding advice to break the earth loop (in his case, he'd chosen to disconnect the 'scope ground) and retest. The FY6600 hadn't suffered this ground loop issue but the half mains live 'touch voltage' presented an ESD hazard if you forgot to connect the BNC ground before connecting to the test point of your DUT (and disconnected it after disconnecting from the test point).

It turned out that the solution was simply to upgrade the 2 pole C8 connector to a 3 pole C6 or C14 connector to wire the PE to the main board ground via a 10KR 'drain resistor' to suppress this half mains live 'touch voltage' and neatly sidestep this ground loop issue.

It's quite clear that Feeltech's decision to upgrade from the C8 to a C14 mains connector on the FY6800 model must have been a response to all the moaning about the ESD hazard in the FY6600 EEVBlog thread. Unfortunately, they chose to do the absolute minimum possible to implement a solution to address this complaint about the presence of this ESD hazard by totally ignoring all and every "unintended consequence" of hard earthing the BNC ground points and reduction of ground return wires in the smpsu board to main board ribbon cable connector from a barely adequate count of two to a woefully inadequate count of one.

That ribbon connector could have done with an upgrade from a 6 pole single row to a 12 pole dual row connector to add another 6 ground wires to the circuit to reduce PSU noise and ripple getting onto the main board supply rails. Reducing the ground return wire count would have been the last thing any sane manufacturer would have even considered, let alone implement. :palm:

Feeltech (FeelElec) aren't the only Chinese manufacturer of bargain priced test, measurement and electronic tools who show such blatant disregard for any modicum of quality in their products. KSGER who make all those otherwise excellent T12/T15 tip based soldering stations are just as bad (and even worse if you rate the electrocution risk higher than the ESD risk).

I bought one of these cheap alternatives to Hakko's rather flawed FX-951 soldering station two months ago and, as with the FY6600, it rather benefited from some basic fettling and general remedial work. It is now as safe as any normal electrical appliance made by The West (excepting for some models of Weller soldering stations  ::)) can be expected to be and no longer at risk of its controller succumbing to soldering iron handle wiring faults, typical of "Chinese Quality Control".

It's considered SOP to take such mains powered Chinese Marvels of Technology apart as you did, in order to check for and (almost inevitably) make safe for "Human Consumption" and 'fitter for purpose'. :)

I was only expressing an idle curiosity in the matter seeing as how Feeltech appear to have been taking note of the various moans and groans and modifications that had been discussed in the earlier FY6600 thread (a "Standing on the shoulders of giants" effect) where the use of the 3N502 had been suggested by one of the members to Arthur Dent who had been proposing to fit a 10MHz OCXO to his FY6600 at the time (and has long since done so) and from which I eventually[1] took inspiration to do likewise after having already replaced the shitty little 50MHz smd XO chip with a 50MHz 0.1ppm rated TCXO driver board I'd mounted well clear of the 50 deg C environment of the original on-board XO chip.

Having employed the 3N502 to allow me the use of a CQE branded 12v 10MHz OCXO in my own FY6600 project and using another one in my current DIY GPSDO project to make use of a 5v 13MHz CQE branded OCXO (74HC86 clock doubler to 26MHz into a 74193 (original old skool TTL!) divide by 13 to drive the 3N502 with the lowest allowable 2MHz input frequency clock) to generate an ultra low jitter 10Mz square wave, that 3N502 was rather on my mind when I saw your post. :)

As I've already admitted, it was just idle curiosity on my part so there's no hurry in answering that question. That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in what you do eventually discover as I'm sure others would likewise be interested in what you may care to divulge about Feeltech's (FeelElec) latest and greatest toy signal generator.

[1] I rather naively thought at the time, that this OCXO mod was just a tad OTT but eventually realised the value of such accuracy and stability once I discovered that I was never likely to improve on the +/-30ppb I was getting out of the 50MHz TCXO board. As good an improvement as it was over the original smd XO chip's best +/-20ppm effort at (in)stability, I had developed a new found desire for sub ppb accuracy which nothing less than an OCXO could satisfy. ::)

JBG
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:13:48 am by Johnny B Good »
John

Offline wadim207

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2019, 11:30:29 am »
When testing the functions of the generator FY6900, it was found impossible to connect to the computer. When connected to different computers, the device is not detected by windows 7, new devices do not appear in the device lists. When you connect another device with USB-SERIAL CH340 on these computers, it is recognized and connected. Installing the ch340/CH341 driver of different versions did not help. Help solve the problem or fix it.

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2019, 08:47:43 am »
When testing the functions of the generator FY6900, it was found impossible to connect to the computer. When connected to different computers, the device is not detected by windows 7, new devices do not appear in the device lists. When you connect another device with USB-SERIAL CH340 on these computers, it is recognized and connected. Installing the ch340/CH341 driver of different versions did not help. Help solve the problem or fix it.

Dear Customer,
Our technicians are helping you solve the problem on AliExpress.

Offline ToKreTu

« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2019, 10:41:07 am »
Hello I’m new in this forum as a contributor.
I’ve just received my FY6900 and I’m very happy with it so far - everything is working as expected.  After thorough investigations on the internet I came to the conclusion that at the moment there is no better signal generator on the market for that price.

@feelelec
Only one point is confusing me and I need clarification.  It’s about the input signal level for the Counter.  There are three different instructions concerning the Counter Input: 

1.   When entering the counter menu by pressing the COUNTER button the Display shows the Message “Warning: Maximum Safe Input Voltage: 5V AC+DC” (picture 1). What does that mean and what does “Safe Input” exactly mean? Does it mean that the device can get damaged when the Input Voltage is higher? Or does it only mean that the measurement result can get inaccurate?
2.   In the User Guide on page 28, picture 2-1 the max. safe input voltage is given as “20V AC+DC” and in the box at the bottom of this page it is only 5V but now it speaks about Trig. IN instead of Counter IN (picture 2). This is very confusing! Again: What means “safe”?
3.   On the other hand the Technical Specifications in the User Guide allow an “Input Voltage Range” of 1Vpp~20Vpp (page 43, External Measurement; see my picture 3 below).  And that is what I am actually expecting of a frequency counter!

Please confirm my expectation or, if you cannot, please explain why the input voltage for the Counter is limited to only 5V.
One point is for sure: The User Guide and the real device (firmware V1.2) do not correspond.

Thank you, Thomas

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2019, 11:24:40 am »
The maximum safe voltage normally is the level one can be sure not to cause a damage. The actual level where damage starts may be considerably higher. Another point is that there may be a higher level for short time.

The different voltage levels are indeed confusing. Part of this could be due to translation.

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2019, 02:40:40 am »

1.   When entering the counter menu by pressing the COUNTER button the Display shows the Message “Warning: Maximum Safe Input Voltage: 5V AC+DC” (picture 1). What does that mean and what does “Safe Input” exactly mean? Does it mean that the device can get damaged when the Input Voltage is higher? Or does it only mean that the measurement result can get inaccurate?
2.   In the User Guide on page 28, picture 2-1 the max. safe input voltage is given as “20V AC+DC” and in the box at the bottom of this page it is only 5V but now it speaks about Trig. IN instead of Counter IN (picture 2). This is very confusing! Again: What means “safe”?
3.   On the other hand the Technical Specifications in the User Guide allow an “Input Voltage Range” of 1Vpp~20Vpp (page 43, External Measurement; see my picture 3 below).  And that is what I am actually expecting of a frequency counter!

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your discovery.
The safe input voltage "20V AC+DC" on the instruction manual is correct.
The display on the machine is wrong and our engineers will amend it.

FeelElec

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2019, 05:02:10 pm »
Is there any difference between the FeelElec and KKmoon branded versions except for the price (KKmoon is around 10GPB cheaper)? They appear to be the same re-branded unit? Quality? Earlier firmware?

Regarding the firmware, can it be upgraded?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:16:42 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2019, 03:25:38 am »
Is there any difference between the FeelElec and KKmoon branded versions except for the price (KKmoon is around 10GPB cheaper)? They appear to be the same re-branded unit? Quality? Earlier firmware?

Regarding the firmware, can it be upgraded?

Dear Customer,
KKmoon is our agent, you can purchase from our store or KKmoon store.

FeelElec

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2019, 06:50:25 pm »
My KKmoon branded unit arrived today and seems to be in good working order. I haven't looked inside yet, but there was no appreciable voltage or current on the BNC connectors. A quick test of functions and waveforms shows all is well. I did note in earlier posts th problem regarding the amplitude voltage display and the observation regarding the control knob. My unit does have the amplitude voltage display problem and I agree that the control knob is indeed a little fiddly, but does work and is only to be expected for the price. I will probably replace it tjough. I can't comment on the power supply yet, but this has been well covered already.

I was able to perform a quick test of the software on Windows 7 Pro and I had no problem getting this to work. The CH340 drivers were already installed so I didn’t have to go through that step. I have only looked at it only from a remote control perspective. I also managed to get the software to work in Linux under Wine. A little configuration in Wine was required in order to connect with the serial port, but otherwise the software seemed to connect and work. There was one error during installation (unregistered et40.dll) which I need to investigate further.

The FY6900 software lists 16 ports under 'Port Connect', so a port needed to be selected from this range. However, in Linux a USB serial port is mapped to something like /dev/ttyUSB0. On my machine, Wine, in turn, maps this to com33 by creating a symbolic link in ~/.wine/dosdevices.

In order to get around this, one option is to manually create the symbolic link for the required port. The downside is that Wine automatically refreshes the links back to their default state when an application is launched. This means that the symbolic link had to be created every time and after the FY6900 software was launched, otherwise Wine would just reset it and the software would try to connect to an inactive port. Fortunately there is a better way.

It is possible to override the serial ports mappings that are created automatically by Wine. This is quite simple and can be done simply by a registry entry per port. Full details can be found here:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Wine_User%27s_Guide#Serial_and_Parallel_Ports

This method has the advantage that the chosen port is mapped automatically each time Wine is started and no manual work is required. Since I am using more than one USB serial device, I created three entries to re-map com7, com8, and com9 to /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1 and /dev/ttyUSB2. Of course, if you have only one serial device, then it is sufficient to map just the one port, and any port from the FY6900 software list can be chosen. All I need to know is which /dev/ttyUSBx port the FY6900 device is mapped to in Linux and then select the corresponding com port (7-9) in Wine. If the FY6900 remains plugged in to the USB port, then the last used serial port will automatically be used when the software is re-started.

If I can work out the protocols it uses to send commands and data, then it should be possible to create scripts
to set up the FY6900 and run tests, or even write a native Linux program. At some point I will have a proper look at the inside, but from my brief look, the unit does work, is the 60MHz version (PY6900-60M, version 1.3) and seems more than adequate for hobbyist use. I would like to know, incidentally, whether version 1.3 is a current version of the firmware? Does anyone have any information on firmware versions?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:51:52 pm by WaveyDipole »

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2019, 05:04:38 am »
If I can work out the protocols it uses to send commands and data, then it should be possible to create scripts
to set up the FY6900 and run tests, or even write a native Linux program. At some point I will have a proper look at the inside, but from my brief look, the unit does work, is the 60MHz version (PY6900-60M, version 1.3) and seems more than adequate for hobbyist use. I would like to know, incidentally, whether version 1.3 is a current version of the firmware? Does anyone have any information on firmware versions?

Dear customer,
Our latest version of the firmware is 1.3.

FeelElec

Offline v0ltair3

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2019, 03:47:17 pm »
Dear FeelElec,

I understand your effort to come closer to the community and that was one the key reasons why I decided to take the risk and to order one. I understand there might be some technical flaws but I assume it's due to imposed restrictions when trying to positioning such a product in the under 100$ price tag.

As a hobbyist, it's hard to find the a use case where I would spend more than that on a signal generator, my purpose is really to learn about electronics and this kind of equipment helps me grasp and visualize some key theoretical concepts.

I find it also quite interesting when the community of REAL electronics engineers or serious hobbyist hack into it and find ways to improve them, this is in fact another way to learn as doing it so, forces you to understand some other concepts of what are you really improving (and eventually a way for you to sell a few more).

So if you allow me to provide some feedback:

1 - Always keep a positive and constructive attitude towards the community, I'm am sure that others like me will use it as an argument to select your brand VS others.

2 - Keep your website neat and up to date regarding your products. I'm sure there are a ton of potential customers that aren't aware of this forum, let alone this topic, so your site is the only window between both. And nowadays there's no reason why you couldn't have a gorgeous website for a very very small amount of money.

Example, you just stated that rev. 1.3 of the firmware was released, how can I update my own ? (it has version 1.2), your website shall have a support area for each one of your products with product documentation, latest firmware updates with respective release notes (doesn't have to be very extensive).

3 - Allow feedback for new features or bugs for coming firmware updates, having the community telling you exactly what they expect from your products, even on this segment, its a very inexpensive and powerful tool (I'm on the product business myself, although in software) and can make your product sales cycle last for years....

Example, I would really like to have a way to send a single pulse while I'm playing with logical circuits.

Thank you,
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:56:19 pm by v0ltair3 »

The following users thanked this post: thomastheo, Jacon, ishergin

Offline WaveyDipole

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2019, 08:03:21 pm »
Further to being able to run fy6900.exe under wine, it seems that one some Linux/wine installations the application might show the form labels with small squares instead of characters. The main menu and text fields will be OK. It seems the problem may be related to a missing TrueType font called DroidSansFallBack.ttf. The file can be downloaded here:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/master/data/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf

It should be placed in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts, or the corresponding path for your wine prefix. It can also be placed in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/Droid. The former is probably preferable, but either seems to work.

The following users thanked this post: Moonbase

Offline v0ltair3

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2019, 10:02:19 pm »
Dear FeelElec,

Mind addressing the firmware upgrade procedure instructions and release notes ?

thank you in advance,

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2019, 09:02:40 am »
Example, I would really like to have a way to send a single pulse while I'm playing with logical circuits.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your suggestions. As for your requirements, the instrument supports the output of single or multiple pulses under the trigger function.

Offline v0ltair3

• Contributor
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2019, 09:30:19 am »
Awesome... I've likely missed something on the manual, need to RFTM once again :)

Could you point me in the right direction for the upgrade procedure ?

Thank you in advance,
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:44:23 pm by v0ltair3 »

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2019, 06:19:53 am »
Awesome... I've likely missed something on the manual, need to RFTM once again :)

Could you point me in the right direction for the upgrade procedure ?

Thank you in advance,

Dear Customer,
Is your firmware 1.3 version about this instrument?

FeelElec

Offline v0ltair3

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2019, 08:58:47 am »
Dear FeeElec,

No, I'm running an older version of the firmware (1.2) ... early adopters tend to suffer with more frequent updates, but I am OK with that.

Do you have the binaries and respective release notes published anywhere?

Thank you,

Offline thomastheo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2019, 02:21:36 pm »
Yes, I too would very much like to know how to install the latest firmware.

Offline FeelElec

• Contributor
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2019, 05:32:23 am »
Dear FeeElec,

No, I'm running an older version of the firmware (1.2) ... early adopters tend to suffer with more frequent updates, but I am OK with that.

Do you have the binaries and respective release notes published anywhere?

Thank you,

Dear Customer,
We didn't publish the files about upgrade V1.3.

FeelElec

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2019, 12:19:52 pm »
Hi , I bought The FY6800 from Banggood .
The signal output on all the wave forms looked like there was an earth quake shimmering and Jitter
The Power supply caps failed after an hour.  even after replacing with low esr it still was unstable and poor quality.
I did send and email with Photo's to your support and never got any reply . Banggood did give me a small refund to cover some cost of repair $10 . I spent over $60 to get working So SO.

I had to completely replace power supply . The Xtal was really bad quality replaced it with new TCXO 50MHz 0.01ppm.  The output ops I had to replaced as the smp had damaged it . +_ 16.73V  = too high for the op amps.
Your spec sheet said the square wave up to 25Mhz  but did not mention that the Jitter over 5MHz was Bad.
The square wave is only stable @ clock multiples . every thing else is touch and Go.
Also the voltage amplitude is not accurate ie 5.000 volt is 5.4* volt 
Also added a laminar air flow for cooling. and cleared the fake air slots so they let air though.
Over all if it was not for this forum it would be only good for a Door stop.
Even after all the repairs It still is no were close to your spec sheet.  :bullshit:

So sorry to say there is no way I would buy the New FY6900 . The Case looks really nice .
But does it have the same Poor SMP!!  and Jitter due to bugs etc.
Or is it just now a nicer Door stopper.

The one thing good about the FY6800 is that it is ease to use..  Just place by open door.  :-DD
How about a Firmware update to solve phase shift on the square wave and others the ramp & stair are horrible
ramp has bad over shoot.

Enlighten me whats under the hood ..  :-DD

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:33:29 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2019, 05:57:52 pm »
I had a FY6600, it stopped working, they never answered me an email, then I bought a FY6900 60Mhz, and I was lucky to be able to sell it, for more money than I paid, and I bought a FY 6900 20 Mhz, I believe which is a signal generator and ideal for a hobbyist like me, who only occupy it 5 or 6 times a month, it is not worth investing in a 60Mhz, for that it would go for a rigol or siglent.

-It is not upgradeable, although it has the button combination for update.
- bad source.
- It has no cooler.
- Altera chip does not have a heatsink.
- scarce vents.
and for other small things, having paid $ 66 with bonuses included from aliexpress seems like enough investment.

in spanish
yo tuve un FY6600, dejo de funcionar, nunca me contestaron un mail, luego compre un FY6900 60Mhz, y yo tuve la suerte de poder venderlo, por mas dinero de lo que lo yo pague, y compre un FY 6900 20 Mhz, yo creo que es un generador de señales y ideal para hobbista como yo, que solo lo ocupo 5 o 6 veces por mes,  no vale la pena invertir en un 60Mhz, para eso iria por un rigol o siglent.

-No es actualizable, a pesar que tiene la combinacion de boton para update.
-mala fuente.
- no posee cooler.
- el chip altera no posee disipador.
- rejas de ventilacion escasas.
y por otras pequeñas cosas, el haber pagado u$s 66 con bonos incluidos de aliexpress me parece suficiente inversion.

Offline enut11

• Frequent Contributor
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2019, 10:58:57 pm »
Question for @FeelElec
I am looking to buy an FY6900 60M, but only if it has a predictable and stable amplitude setting up to about 20MHz.
Can you publish amplitude vs frequency specs for the 6900? Specifically, I am looking for better than +-0.2dB at 1kHz vs 10MHz and beyond.
enut11
an electronics nut from wayback...

Offline v0ltair3

• Contributor
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2019, 11:15:22 am »
Dear FeelElec,

Are you stating that I bought a brick ? Is its working fine so far but we're basically in 2020, there's no such thing as "closed" products anymore nowadays.... for sure there will be needed fixes in the coming revisions... for example, whats new in the rev 1.3 ??

How come you don't publish the binaries ?

How can I upgrade my firmware and or fix any bug in the near future ?

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2019, 01:35:18 pm »
Dear FeelElec,

Are you stating that I bought a brick ? Is its working fine so far but we're basically in 2020, there's no such thing as "closed" products anymore nowadays.... for sure there will be needed fixes in the coming revisions... for example, whats new in the rev 1.3 ??

How come you don't publish the binaries ?

How can I upgrade my firmware and or fix any bug in the near future ?

Right friend, if you buy the v1.3 update, it comes with a gift FY6900. :-DD :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf