Author Topic: Realistic asking price for a Hameg/R&S HM02024  (Read 1927 times)

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Realistic asking price for a Hameg/R&S HM02024
« on: July 10, 2020, 05:34:37 pm »
Sorry, this is not actually about wanting to sell something here, but I guess this is still the best place to ask.

Anyway, I'm about to put my Hameg/R&S HMO2024 (200MHz, 4ch, 2GSa/s, 2MPts interleaved) on eBay and wondered what a realistic asking price would be. It's in very good condition and comes with all the original probes plus the serial decoding option HOO10 (I2C, SPI, UART). Now there aren't a lot of these scopes sold and when they are, the asking prices seem to be somewhat obscene taking into account that they are about 8 years old now and some specs (screen size&resolution, memory depth) are a bit lacking by today's standards. Besides, even if Hameg belonged to R&S for some time, it was never considered a top brand. However, when the HMO2024 (under the R&S brand with slightly different colors but technically the same) was still sold, the asking price (without the decoding options) was around 3k€ including VAT. Again, this was about 5 years ago and technology advanced quite a bit since then.

Yet, it's a sweet and somewhat unique (component tester etc.) little scope and I would hate to give it away for 200€ or so just because of bad luck, so while I usually let my auctions start at 1€, I'm toying with the idea to set the starting price to something like 800€ or so to avoid having to give it away for much less. I just wonder if my perception is clouded by separation anxiety. So in a nutshell: is a starting price of 800€ insane or OKish?
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline aix

• Regular Contributor
Re: Realistic asking price for a Hameg/R&S HM02024
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 06:01:09 pm »
Have you considered starting low with a reserve price?

I'm not suggesting it's a good idea (I personally avoid bidding on auctions with reserve prices) but might be an option worth considering.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 06:20:59 pm »
I did, but firstly, I hate such auctions with a hidden minimum price myself and secondly this is surprisingly expensive and has to be paid even if the auction fails.

Offline petemate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 06:45:53 pm »
I'd personally never pay that much for a hobby-use scope and I'd argue that the people who will buy your scope are hobbyists, cause in my experience business won't generally buy stuff off ebay, unless they have no choice.

Rohde and Schwarz is nice equipment, but nice enough for a hobbyist to pay that much for? I don't think so, when they can get e.g. a Rigol with "almost-the-same" specs for about 300 EUR or so.

You got to make up your mind about what you want: If you really only wanna sell it for at least 800 EUR then put that as the minimum price and risk noone buys it. If you really wanna sell it regardless of price, put a lower price. Or put a reserve for of whatever your minimum price would be.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 06:58:16 pm »
Now that wasn't very helpful.

Offline Teti

• Regular Contributor
    • www.martenelectric.cz
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 07:14:04 pm »
I would price it for half price of similar scope performer such as Siglent SDS2204X Plus therefore 700-800 euro isn't unreasonable. What about buy it now with make an offer?
Vintage audio gear connoisseur, computer enthusiast, time-nut, music lover, vintage games gamer, nerd, tinkerer and shady electronic projects maker.
http://www.martenelectric.cz/

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 08:49:45 pm »
I've no idea where it'd would end up with 1 EUR starting price, starting at 800 EUR might lead to no one bidding. Otherwise, IMO 800 EUR is a reasonable price for it, considering it isn't a Rigol that one can get for less with roughly same specs. You may have to re-list it a few times at 800 EUR. I'd consider adding a best offer option and accept 700 or 750 EUR.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:32 pm »
I've no idea where it'd would end up with 1 EUR starting price, starting at 800 EUR might lead to no one bidding.

Probably somewhere around 50 bucks: If you want to auction fancy testgear that doesn't attract a broader audience you tend to attract guys that know how to snipe auctions: No bids until the last five seconds and most of them will be very low.

Ask yourself this: What is the absolute minimal amount of money you are willing to sell your gear for before you really start hating yourself for it? Use this amount as the starting bid (my guesstimate for your scope would be around 6-700 bucks).

It is better to have no one bid on your stuff for a few months than to hate yourself for giving away your stuff for free.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 10:52:52 pm »
Decide what you'd accept and put it on as BIN. It should disappear pretty rapidly if you've priced it right and you won't get the best ever price, but then you might not get any price doing it a different way and at least this way you get more than your minimum.

Personally, I ignore lots with a hidden reserve (that someone else hasn't already bid above). A high-ish starting bid is fine (if it's below what I might want to bid). The risk there is that it might be too high - you need to leave headroom for actual bidding, so of course the thing might go to the one and only bid, which would be lower than you'd want.

Offline petemate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 11:46:52 pm »
Now that wasn't very helpful.

Thats probably because the answer to the question lies with you and noone else. I can't tell you how much you want to sell your scope for. I can only tell you how people who'd consider buying it thinks.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 12:21:59 am »
Did you search eBay for sold listings of the same oscilloscope or similar models?

I can't find any hits where I live, but Hameg is not very popular in the US anyways.

Good luck!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 08:20:59 am »
I sold more or less the same scope - in original packaging - little over one year ago and got Euro 650.
It is a really nice scope indeed.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 09:36:37 am »
Hm, OK, that's a bit less than what I hoped for, but at least an indication. Just curious: what does "more or less the same" mean?

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 11:41:32 am »
so 800 EUR and make offer seems a good choice ?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 11:49:52 am »
IMHO a buy-it-now price at 800 euro or make an offer seems like a good strategy to me. If make an offer is not avaiable in your country you can say in the listing that the price is negotiable. If you strike a deal with someone you just lower the buy-it-now price and the person can use buy-it-now. That is how I sold an oscilloscope a couple of months ago.

Auctions suck because 1) you don't know the price you get 2) you and the buyers need to wait for the auction to end. When I look for something I want to buy it ASAP for a known price.

Also make sure to take very good pictures of the device with a good camera and good lighting. Show it is working, show the serial numbers, options and accosoires. Crappy pictures kill any chance of getting decent money.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:52:22 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 02:48:23 pm »
Also make sure to take very good pictures of the device with a good camera and good lighting. Show it is working, show the serial numbers, options and accosoires. Crappy pictures kill any chance of getting decent money.
Wow, thanks for that priceless hint! I was about to use one self made crayon picture of me and my scope in the cellar when the light went out.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 03:17:50 pm »
Wow, thanks for that priceless hint! I was about to use one self made crayon picture of me and my scope in the cellar when the light went out.
Well, if you look at Ebay you'd know there is a ton of people out there who put crap pictures with their Ebay listing. I'm just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 03:56:52 pm »
That happens if you buy new stuff, you loose lots of money, especially with things like DSOs, where the market is totally saturated. Furthermore, digital scopes is just like computers the past 40 years, specs used to get better every year. That's the reason why I stuck with old stuff and never bothered upgrading. Because it's a waste of money. Money that can be spend on lots of second hand instruments/machinery that degrade less in value  ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:58:43 pm by MadTux »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf