Author Topic: Scammer alert: snoweev  (Read 5374 times)

Offline xtechTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Scammer alert: snoweev
« on: December 25, 2022, 05:56:45 pm »
Watch out for that guy: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=916892

Hi Mate,
Are you still looking?
Check with Richard I think he has one he wants to part with at a fair price. Pm him at richardarmstrong75@aol.com

https://www.lareefclub.com/community/threads/scammer-snowreef-aka-richardarmstrong75-aol-com.54305/#post-536349

The following users thanked this post: zzattack

Online zzattack

• Regular Contributor
Re: Scammer alert: snoweev
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 01:06:58 pm »
Snoweev here, snowreef over at the reefers.. does that improve their odds?

Offline MarkKruetzmann

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 10:22:29 am »
Well, he got me as well. snoweev in my case. The offer was fine and the sum so low that I didn't suspect a scam. After all, the whole back and forth was quite time consuming until I sent some money. Apparently still worth his time.

Offline modz786

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 02:11:08 pm »
Hi I dont know the mechanics of your scam but I always ask for a video of the item for sale and ask them to write my name on a piece of paper in from of the item preferably with them switching it on.
One guy tried to just show a paper in from of his monitor with the photo of the item and at first glace it looked legit.
Ask for a specific video

Offline MarkKruetzmann

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 02:33:41 pm »
Yeah, that or something similar would be safer for sure. Well, I lost 65 bucks, I didn't assume people would commit a crime for 2-digit sums of money. I don't think I can get it back, so I call it a learning experience. To be fair, similarly sketchy deals did work in the past and led to very nice acquisitions, so over all I still came out positive being naive. This scam had a lot of red flags though, so I have better judgement next time.

Offline super7800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 03:19:43 pm »
Yeah, ignoring red flags = bad. I think some serial scammers don't do it for the money, but more because they are bored/ enjoy it. If it was with card perhaps try a chargeback? Was recently scammed on ebay by ignoring red flags. Did you know there are categories on ebay that have no buyer protection? I didn't lol.

Online tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 03:43:40 pm »
Did you know there are categories on ebay that have no buyer protection?
What categories?

Offline super7800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 04:11:41 pm »
No idea (seller deleted item after I bought it so I can't check). All I know is they do indeed exist. Ebay wouldn't allow me to file a claim, saying "this item isn't backed by ebay money back guerentee" and to "contact the seller", but thankfully I was able to file one in PayPal.

The following users thanked this post: tunk

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 10:13:17 pm »
No idea (seller deleted item after I bought it so I can't check). All I know is they do indeed exist. Ebay wouldn't allow me to file a claim, saying "this item isn't backed by ebay money back guerentee" and to "contact the seller", but thankfully I was able to file one in PayPal.

"The Ebay money back guarantee only applies to items that the seller refuses to take back and is not as described. So if you ordered an item that is not returnable and there is nothing wrong with it except that you changed your mind then you are not eligible to receive any monies returned to you."

So either that or if it was outside the ebay time limit (30 days after receipt). Paypal gives a longer return window.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline mtk

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 10:31:53 pm »
I recently had issues with eBay. Purchased from France a Tektronix TDS1002, which was not delivered to the provided address. It took few conversations with eBay, contacting the French police and authorities to have a refund. In Germany, on eBay Kleinanzeigen there are scammers as well. Recently twice someone offered Tektronix TDS220 and the ads were removed shortly. There are lots of scammers in Europe and person needs to be careful.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:39:02 am by mtk »

Offline super7800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 01:57:06 am »
All this happened within 5 days. I have an extensive post on it in the bad shopping experience thread

Offline modz786

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 05:34:28 am »
many scams in EU but the crooks are usually a million miles away

Offline modz786

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 05:39:43 am »
small scams are viewed that the victim wont bother reporting so many victims per week mounts up to plenty free money. In many country's 65 usd is more than a months wages

Offline mtk

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 07:01:06 am »
In my opinion, EU is a criminal organization that actually supports legal scammers. Had this case importing electronic components from China – resistors, capacitors, integrated circuits etc. For a small package the German DHL demanded I to pay 300 EUR just for filing a customs declaration - 3 EUR per line (for every type of component). When submitted a complain to EU, they did nothing and the package was returned to China and lost. Since then EU removed the import tax free packages to Europe. The North Americans are not better. Recently purchased some components from DigiKey. They state that they pay all the customs fees and taxes. When the package arrived, the local rep of Feedex demanded a payments for taxes and custom clearance fee etc. The shipping companies DHL,  Feedex … scam the customers to pay huge fees for bogus services and the EU and local authorities do nothing.

Offline modz786

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 09:53:33 am »
Fluk EU!!! >:D Christine Lagarde a convicted fraudster head of the ECB bank :-DD....yeah in everyone's face :box: unelected ....google her name she got a suspended sentence

Greece is no better any package from inside EU gets a standard charge for handling and because they dont say its a TAX its over looked by EU so you pay 12.30 euro even if its used parts or a personal gift, whatever

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 10:37:43 am »
In my opinion, EU is a criminal organization that actually supports legal scammers. Had this case importing electronic components from China – resistors, capacitors, integrated circuits etc. For a small package the German DHL demanded I to pay 300 EUR just for filing a customs declaration - 3 EUR per line (for every type of component). When submitted a complain to EU, they did nothing and the package was returned to China and lost. Since then EU removed the import tax free packages to Europe. The North Americans are not better. Recently purchased some components from DigiKey. They state that they pay all the customs fees and taxes. When the package arrived, the local rep of Feedex demanded a payments for taxes and custom clearance fee etc. The shipping companies DHL,  Feedex … scam the customers to pay huge fees for bogus services and the EU and local authorities do nothing.

While not a friend of the gazillions of questionable EU regulations, the problem you describe is a purely local customs one. In Germany and other EU countries where I have friends Digikey and Mouser and whatever DDP deliveries work perfectly. You should raise that with Digikey and your customs people.
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 11:23:13 am »
DHL does charge 6 EUR for the handling alone (as COD fees). My wife received a used book from USA, 19% taxes were 1,12 EUR - so the DHL fees were about the same as the purchase itself. Great.
However - this is a self defense against subsidized imports from China, those conveniently cheap orders did cost non-chinese mailing systems billions (american billions) each year.

Offline mtk

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 07:41:02 am »
DHL does charge 6 EUR for the handling alone (as COD fees). My wife received a used book from USA, 19% taxes were 1,12 EUR - so the DHL fees were about the same as the purchase itself. Great.
However - this is a self defense against subsidized imports from China, those conveniently cheap orders did cost non-chinese mailing systems billions (american billions) each year.

I purchased components in China, paid DHL for delivery. When the packaged arrived in Bulgaria, DHL started to ask hundreds of euros, just to process the package via the Bulgarian customs. I did file a complain with the Bulgarian authorities. By law, a complain can take up to 3 months. DHL has a storage fee, I think it was about 5 EUR a day. So, they demanded I to pay storage fees as well. When 2 months passed, they just returned the package without any notification. They did not comply with the local Bulgarian and EU laws. DHL is absolutely horrible company, that brought me thousands of euro loses. Regarding EU, when a package is imported, EU demands fees, VAT … but when a package is exported ...no any desire to refund the VAT. This EU is crooks and thefts incorporation in service of large companies. And why should I care and pay because of  the Americans ? I live in Europe … if they have problems with China, to deal with them. But you know, the largest US companies exported their business to China for larger profits. Just look at Tektronix products – made in China. The payments of companies like Aliexpress go via London … US, UK, Canada … complain when they want more money. The do not care about their citizens or small manufacturers etc.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 11:25:29 am »

I purchased components in China, paid DHL for delivery. When the packaged arrived in Bulgaria, DHL started to ask hundreds of euros, just to process the package via the Bulgarian customs. I did file a complain with the Bulgarian authorities. By law, a complain can take up to 3 months. DHL has a storage fee, I think it was about 5 EUR a day. So, they demanded I to pay storage fees as well. When 2 months passed, they just returned the package without any notification. They did not comply with the local Bulgarian and EU laws. DHL is absolutely horrible company, that brought me thousands of euro loses. Regarding EU, when a package is imported, EU demands fees, VAT … but when a package is exported ...no any desire to refund the VAT. This EU is crooks and thefts incorporation in service of large companies. And why should I care and pay because of  the Americans ? I live in Europe … if they have problems with China, to deal with them. But you know, the largest US companies exported their business to China for larger profits. Just look at Tektronix products – made in China. The payments of companies like Aliexpress go via London … US, UK, Canada … complain when they want more money. The do not care about their citizens or small manufacturers etc.

Like someone said to you, that dishonest thing is solely up to your local Bulgarian thieves... Send E-mail to DHL HQ in Germany and complain to them. Ranting here things that do not stand won't help you.
In my country DHL will charge you one time fee of few € for processing of customs. That is only fair. They did customs procedure. And if VAT is due, you pay that to government via DHL..
Everything else is just some local gangster..
And why would DHL refund VAT to you if you export outside EU...Inside EU you don't charge VAT.

And yes, west cannot compete with east on fair terms so they create these false pretenses to charge more.. What's new.?

Offline mtk

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 12:19:28 pm »

Like someone said to you, that dishonest thing is solely up to your local Bulgarian thieves... Send E-mail to DHL HQ in Germany and complain to them. Ranting here things that do not stand won't help you.
In my country DHL will charge you one time fee of few € for processing of customs. That is only fair. They did customs procedure. And if VAT is due, you pay that to government via DHL..
Everything else is just some local gangster..
And why would DHL refund VAT to you if you export outside EU...Inside EU you don't charge VAT.

And yes, west cannot compete with east on fair terms so they create these false pretenses to charge more.. What's new.?

I spoke with DHL Germany as well as the European Commission about those issues, they are total crooks, just looking how to get more money. When company / person exports goods outside of EU, the VAT suppose to be refundable. The biggest gangster is called the European Union and the German politicians … Few months ago, the leader of the German created political party GERB in Bulgaria Boiko Borisov was arrested. The German politicians immediately started to complain … How the Bulgarian authorities can arrest their servant in Bulgaria. I do not agree with you – everyone can do something – at least not to use DHL etc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 08:07:55 pm by mtk »

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 12:24:31 pm »
I guess you should consult your tax advisor, if you have trouble im-/exporting items.
EU/non-EU imports and exports can be (are) a pain, and are hardly possible as a DIY job. You certainly need professional handling for all the paperwork. Plus quite a few registrations here and there.

At least in Germany, you can choose to do a "self-declaration" at the local customs office when importing with DHL, not sure, if that's an option in Bulgaria. However while being cheaper, it might be time consuming. German customs officers are not known for their speedy work, but for their knowledge of precise printing and stamping documents - and consumption of your time by their presence.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2023, 07:41:44 pm »
OK, they are banned. People were trusting someone with no public posts. And yes there is some advice on the section about relying on a users credibility on the forum. No posts = no credibility.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, 2N3055, Xtremexp

Offline super7800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2023, 03:34:46 pm »
Hm nothing fishy at all going on here  :palm:. See attached. Didn't try emailing them, maybe it's legit lol.

Online pan

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2023, 03:46:53 pm »
I got the same message, but with different item. Best to just stay away. 

Offline bastl_r

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2023, 08:22:27 pm »
Same one PMed me too

bastl_r
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 08:24:25 pm by bastl_r »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf