Author Topic: Take care the Ebay scammer, RS FSP-38 40GHz Spectrum Analyzer only 3900 USD  (Read 1887 times)

Online testpoint1Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
every week, the scammer will hack several ebay account, then on Friday afternoon list the very low price, then deleted them on Saturday, this week, the shop is:
https://www.ebay.com/str/follyhomeandfabric

if you try to contect them, the email is: sales@XXXXXXX.top, then it will give an ebay address for your payment, actually, an hide hyperlink link to the "ebay address", that will direct you to fake Ebay web site, THAT IS A FAKE EBAY ADDRESS! when you paid, just cry.

the scammer appear in ebay every Friday, they copied many shop's listing picture, also include my shop.

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
People like me report these listings, and they get removed by ebay.  Soon afterwards the hacked shop gets cleaned up.  I doubt the scammer is the one deleting them.

When I see one of these come up in my searches, I report the listing for "Listing practices", "Avoiding eBay fees", "Offers outside of eBay" - or similar choices.

Offline Runco990

• Regular Contributor
Oh yes, the "one dollar scammer" as I call him.  I also report him every time I see him.

I am honestly baffled that anyone falls for this!  Really????   :palm:

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
I find it amazing that eBay have not bothered to set up an automated process to detect listing with contact details within images.
It is against their policies after all.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
I find it amazing that eBay have not bothered to set up an automated process to detect listing with contact details within images.
It is against their policies after all.

They even warn you about doing it in their mail system.
Maybe one or two decent software engineers could set up a program to scan images for obvious email addresses like this one. Though they just fired 1,000 people so unlikely it will happen any time soon.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor

Maybe one or two decent software engineers could set up a program to scan images for obvious email addresses like this one. Though they just fired 1,000 people so unlikely it will happen any time soon.

Ebay is concentrating on increasing their profits and at the expense of the integrity of their business.  Gee, doesn't that sound just like a certain American aircraft manufacturer in one of the other threads?  You have to wonder what the hell they're teaching in Harvard University today.  Oh wait, I think we just saw it in Congress a couple of weeks ago.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline FFY00

• Contributor
This is a very common occurrence. They hack accounts with a positive feedback rating and add hundreds of 0$ starting bid listings with that image in the 2nd slot. As long as buyers stick to the recommended practices, and keep deals inside ebay, they are safe. What is annoying is for people like me, who have a lot of saved searches, every time this happens, our searches get filled with trash :(

The following users thanked this post: eplpwr

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
For the german readers, there is a nice report on wortfilter today, they counted the fraudulent sellers on Amazon (.de), which use a pretty similar method.
Very likely the same scammers, though I rarely notice one on ebay (.de). Maybe the scammers rather target english speaking "customers".

https://wortfilter.de/untersuchung-ueber-2-850-amazon-account-sind-gehackt/

Offline bnz

• Contributor
The last time I reported this kind of auction to ebay, I got from them as replay that their AI checked the auction and there is nothing suspicious  :palm:
I replied that they should have a human to look at the second image.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline delvo

• Contributor
It blows my mind that ebay cant be made responsible to it. They are aiding in the fraud

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
   I don't know what's amazing about that. There are companies in every industry that I can think of that benefit from SCAMMERS and nothing can be done about them until some sort of government agency steps in and starts making THEM responsible for making up the losses that the general public have been subjected to for YEARS on end.  A good example, is the profiteering of the phone companies who are selling telephone service to well known telemarketers. 

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
How is Ebay profiting from this? They are losing out since they don't get a cut of the transaction. I think it is definitely in Ebay's interests to stop these, but they just don't have the resources to whack every mole.

Offline delvo

• Contributor
They certainly did the math and found that the lost profits are less than the cost of paying people to deal with it.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Take care the Ebay scammer, RS FSP-38 40GHz Spectrum Analyzer only 3900 USD
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 02:44:02 am »
today, they changed the bid policy, not from 0.99 USD, just from a half price. Symmetricom 5071A is 9300 USD, all the Pctel receiver picture just copy from my shop, the hacked web shop now is:
https://www.ebay.com/str/rodstan123

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
Re: Take care the Ebay scammer, RS FSP-38 40GHz Spectrum Analyzer only 3900 USD
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 04:17:26 am »
One of my saved searches includes the phrase "frequency standard" so every time I see that picture of the Agilent 5071 with the scope and counter on top of them, I think "He's baaaaack"  :)  Another thing he seems to like is LeCroy equipment.  There's a bunch of new LeCroy listings from the same (hacked) user.  I never look at any of them any more.

• Frequent Contributor
after disapperar several weeks, the scammer appear again,
https://www.ebay.com/str/buildonesupplies

take care, guys.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
While it's absolutely worth talking about this common scam and reporting it to ebay (even if it wasn't one, it would be against their ToS), I don't think describing specific sellers is worthwhile - the listings are often identical to scam postings from months past, and the user posting them is always different and always has some prior feedback.

I'm pretty sure this is a scam that uses compromised seller accounts to send out dozens or hundreds of fraudulent listings before being taken down by ebay (usually hours to a day) who are trying to get someone to bite off site to make their quick money with no protections for the buyer.  The person or persons actually doing the scamming are not the original owners of probably any of the accounts involved.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf