General > Buy/Sell/Wanted

UK - Eastbourne Auctions - May 2024 - Tek/HP and other test equipment

(1/3) > >>

switcher:
www.eastbourneauction.com

It looks like a workshop has been cleared; Tek Scope, HP distortion meter, signal generators, voltmeters, Weller soldering equipment, Variac, isolation TX, more solder than you can shake a stick at, transistors and wire and parts, etc.

Masses of stuff, click on the link and scroll down a bit..

https://www.eastbourneauction.com/catalogue/F5F2D5CBBD9115BA6E0E715D27B44255/1DAD09680FE122841B8E6C1F4CC703F8/may-live-online-auction-to-include-antiques-collectables-an/?categoryFilter=%2CELEC&currentPageNo=1

HobGoblyn:
I’ve never bid on an online live auction before.

I see in their T&C

--- Quote --- When bidding in the room, or via the telephone the auctioneers charge a buyers premium of 32.5% inc VAT (minimum £2.40 per lot) for bidders that settle their invoice within five days of the sale or 42.5% inc VAT for bidders who pay after this date. All future purchases in future auctions will be invoiced at 42.5% if the bidder pays late in one sale, and a higher deposit may be required for at registration.

When bidding online at eastbourneauction.com or easyliveauction.com the Auctioneers charge a Buyer’s Premium of 30% inc VAT (minimum £2.40 per lot) for bidders that settle their invoice within five days of the sale or 40% inc VAT for bidders who pay after this date. All future purchases in future auctions will be invoiced at 40% if the bidder pays late in one sale, and a higher deposit may be required for at registration.

When bidding via thesaleroom.com the Auctioneers charge a Buyer’s Premium of 38% (minimum £2.40 per lot) for bidders that settle their invoice within five days of the sale or 48% inc VAT for bidders who pay after this date. All future purchases in future auctions will be invoiced at 48% if the bidder pays late in one sale, and a higher deposit may be required for at registration.

All bidders failing to pay by the Wednesday following the sale (i.e. withing 5 days) will be charged an admin fee of £12.00.

VAT where payable on the hammer price of a lot will be refunded on receipt of proof of shipping from the winning bidder that the item has been shipped to a non-EU country. VAT on buyer’s premium will not be refunded. Please note: Cash deposited directly into our bank account will be subject to a surcharge - currently 1.5%, as levied by our bank, Lloyd’s bank.

Note: Where a lot is zero rated for VAT purposes the full buyer’s premium as quoted above is still payable by the bidder.
--- End quote ---

With shipping on top, buyers need to be very careful how much they are actually spending.  I presume this is normal for all live auctions?  I would have thought the seller would pay auction fees rather than the buyer.

grumpydoc:

--- Quote from: HobGoblyn on May 16, 2024, 09:25:08 pm ---I would have thought the seller would pay auction fees rather than the buyer.

--- End quote ---

No, it's normally the buyer - typically 20% VAT and 20% "buyers premium" (the cut that goes to the auction house) are added on top of the price at which the hammer falls.

George Edmonds:
NO

Nowdays they charge both the seller and the buyer, what a rip off

G Rdmonds

tggzzz:

--- Quote from: HobGoblyn on May 16, 2024, 09:25:08 pm ---I’ve never bid on an online live auction before.

--- End quote ---

I've used thesaleroom.com and others. The key point is to realise that when you click the button, that is the bid; there is no "confirm" state/action in the FSM.

If in doubt, have a look at any auction on thesaleroom.com, as a guest.

Assume 30s per lot.

If interested in bidding, you would be wise to create an account on the relevant platform a few days in advance. Then register for the specific auction. If you haven't been "seen" before, there may be a delay of a day or so before you can bid.

I've never left a bid with an auction house, since it is difficult to be sure that doesn't become the minimum you will be charged.

--- Quote ---I see in their T&C

--- Quote --- When bidding in the room, or via the telephone the auctioneers charge a buyers premium of 32.5% inc VAT (minimum £2.40 per lot) for bidders that settle their invoice within five days of the sale or 42.5% inc VAT for bidders who pay after this date. All future purchases in future auctions will be invoiced at 42.5% if the bidder pays late in one sale, and a higher deposit may be required for at registration.

When bidding online at eastbourneauction.com or easyliveauction.com the Auctioneers charge a Buyer’s Premium of 30% inc VAT (minimum £2.40 per lot) for bidders that settle their invoice within five days of the sale or 40% inc VAT for bidders who pay after this date. All future purchases in future auctions will be invoiced at 40% if the bidder pays late in one sale, and a higher deposit may be required for at registration.

When bidding via thesaleroom.com the Auctioneers charge a Buyer’s Premium of 38% (minimum £2.40 per lot) for bidders that settle their invoice within five days of the sale or 48% inc VAT for bidders who pay after this date. All future purchases in future auctions will be invoiced at 48% if the bidder pays late in one sale, and a higher deposit may be required for at registration.

All bidders failing to pay by the Wednesday following the sale (i.e. withing 5 days) will be charged an admin fee of £12.00.

VAT where payable on the hammer price of a lot will be refunded on receipt of proof of shipping from the winning bidder that the item has been shipped to a non-EU country. VAT on buyer’s premium will not be refunded. Please note: Cash deposited directly into our bank account will be subject to a surcharge - currently 1.5%, as levied by our bank, Lloyd’s bank.

Note: Where a lot is zero rated for VAT purposes the full buyer’s premium as quoted above is still payable by the bidder.
--- End quote ---

With shipping on top, buyers need to be very careful how much they are actually spending.  I presume this is normal for all live auctions?  I would have thought the seller would pay auction fees rather than the buyer.

--- End quote ---

The actual fees vary, so you have to look at every auction individually. A hammer price of £100 might mutate into £155, i.e. £100*1.30*1.20 (commission, VAT).

Some auction houses do packing and shipping in-house for "small" items. That's likely to be £15-£20. If you send in an external company then I suspect you would be starting at £40.

All that means is that you fix your max price, and work back to your max bidding price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version