Author Topic: FS - HP E3631a Triple Output Bench Power Supply - last price drop $375  (Read 3776 times)

Offline ruairiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all,

I bought something today that I shouldn't have so this needs to go temporarily to replace the money spent!

Clean Hewlett Packard E3631a for sale.  Pics show the three outputs into my in cal 34465a meter.

According to the tag the supply was last calibrated in April 2016.  All outputs work well and I've been happily using on my bench. 

The 6 Volt output seems to drift downward very slightly when the unit is powered up, a few mV over the time and then it settles, not sure if this is normal.  The 6V out also reads off by a few mV as you can see in the pic.

Also on the 6V output the current reading is off by a consistent 60mV (reading high).  The current limit is working correctly.  On the +/- 25V outs the current reading is correct to within a mV and the current limits functions correctly across the range.  If I have time tomorrow evening I will adjust the current reading on the 6V channel.

Did a user cal and everything is measuring very close to perfect now.

Chassis of the unit is very clean, there is one small dent in the front panel that I tried to photograph.  I tried to create the worst possible conditions for the VFD - overhead lights on in lab, my Luxo magnifier (2 x neon) shining straight at front panel and compare to my 34465a which has the brightest display of anything I own.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Asking $450, down to $399, last price drop to $375 need this to move.  Payment via paypal plus shipping at actual cost (USPS or Fedex my preference).  I will cover the paypal fees, shipping on you.  The supply will ship from Los Angeles, CA.

I'd prefer a U.S. sale if possible.

Thanks!
Ruairi

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:21:09 pm by ruairi »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: FS - HP E3631a Triple Bench Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:59:53 am »
Looks like the pics didn't make it. Give it another shot. Ah, they showed up now. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:40 am »
2 more pics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:03:14 am »
And the final 2….

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 07:57:55 pm »
Price drop to $399

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FS - HP E3631a Triple Output Bench Power Supply - last price drop $375
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 07:20:25 pm »
Dropping price to $375.  I've also done a user cal and it's measure very close to perfect now, will do another when I have time to let things warm up properly.

I searched for a long time to find one in this price range that wasn't broken or cosmetically trashed, and I paid more than I am asking.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »
Seems a reasonable price to me. The price ranges that I recall on eBay sales of this model are $200-300 for parts units, $300-400 for mediocre working ones (powers on, may have cosmetic issues, dim screen, inaccurate output, no bumpers, etc.), $400-600 for tested ones in good condition.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 02:45:51 am »
Seems a reasonable price to me. The price ranges that I recall on eBay sales of this model are $200-300 for parts units, $300-400 for mediocre working ones (powers on, may have cosmetic issues, dim screen, inaccurate output, no bumpers, etc.), $400-600 for tested ones in good condition.

That's pretty much exactly my read on pricing, thanks for the input.  I splurged on a Tek Sig Gen that I couldn't really afford and this needs to fill the bank account void!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 03:27:03 am »
Sounds like a case of GAS. It happens. ^-^

Oh, in case you're wondering, I already have a bunch of power supplies, including an E3631A. GAS can happen often. ;D

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 08:24:13 am »
I'd concur that your price is reasonable - I bought one in very good condition at the end of July for £300 (in the UK) which at current exchange is around $400 though at the time I bought it it was more like $375.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 08:47:21 am »
I sold one of these triple outlet PSUs and got just over 400 euro on ebay a while back.
But this one was Agilent branded and in really good shape with a perfect VFD.

I think the reason why yours is not sold already is:
1. It is HP branded and therefore obviously already very old
2. Your display seems uneven lid, which indicates many hours on the VFD

Because of these two points, my guess it that you would get about $ 350 max on ebay.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 06:27:49 am »
I think the reason why yours is not sold already is:
1. It is HP branded and therefore obviously already very old
2. Your display seems uneven lid, which indicates many hours on the VFD

Thanks for the input HV.

The display is not as bad as it looks, I deliberately tried to create the worst possible scenario - full overhead light, luxe magnifier shiny straight at front panel and my phone is reacting to the bright display on the 34465.

Here's a pic I took for Craigslist yesterday, more representative of what you actually see in the room (the one dim digit is being being adjusted).

Agreed on the HP branding.  Unfortunately I just don't have the diligence and patience to deal with eBay sales, too much scamming happening.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 11:30:35 am »
That last picture looks much better
You should be able to sell this E3631A for $375, if you will wait long enough.
I have two of these and I like them a lot.

Here is a small video of this PSU, may be convincing some that this is the right power supply for their bench.
E3631A 80W Triple Output Power DC Supply Product Overview

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf