Author Topic: US: AUCTION: Fab Gear - Keysight, Anritsu, Rohde & Schwarz, Tektronix HUGE!  (Read 18818 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: US: AUCTION: Fab Gear - Keysight, Anritsu, Rohde & Schwarz, Tektronix HUGE!
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 04:03:11 am »
I'd forgotten about this auction.... and that ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ is why.

Offline ruairi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 04:13:34 am »
The timing was horrible for me.  The one piece that I really wanted went for just over $1k, a price would would happily have paid but just couldn't swing right now.

It was a faulty Audio Precision analyzer BTW.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 04:16:04 am »
It wasn't all bad.

I really wanted a spectrum analyzer but all the working ones went for over $750, and the junkers were still in the hundreds of dollars. Scopes are always a hot item, and many of the power supplies went for hundreds of dollars too.

However, the Fluke PM2812 power supplies were totally overlooked. I picked one of those up for $10 (assuming they approve my bid that was below the minimum reserve), and most of the HP/Agilent 6620 series programmable multiple output power supplies were overlooked as well, I grabbed a 6623A for $45.

The handling fees for both of them were a bit steep at $20 per, and the 18% commission adds a bit to the overall price, but all told I got two high quality programmable power supplies for under a hundred bucks + shipping. Not too bad if you ask me.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 05:27:23 am »
Was also anyone else annoyed by the horrible website?

The inability to properly sort things and the unclear ways it shows whats going on made it a lot of work to keep track of a large number of items, especially when the items had closing times tightly together.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 06:13:32 am »
Me. Horrible site.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 08:54:33 am »
Hmmm.... I just had a cursory look and walked away.

So - it din't get any better going deeper into the site?

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 12:36:13 pm »
whats going on made it a lot of work to keep track of a large number of items, especially when the items had closing times tightly together.

My thoughts exactly.  Once things start to close, tracking what your winning, losing, and how much $ you have hanging out there is a nightmare once the popcorn bs starts.  Next thing you know its half dozen or more auctions your watching and bouncing between.  WTF they don't include the buyers premium and handling fees in your bid amounts....

Its certainly setup to extract the most for each item.  Next time I'm just going to watch for neglected items rather than picking a dozen or more things to put bids on.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 01:53:33 pm »
Next time I'm just going to watch for neglected items rather than picking a dozen or more things to put bids on.

That is the approach that I took. I waited till close to the end to find items that hadn't even been bid on (or still had very low prices), and then picked the least active items that I was interested in. Per my previous post, that strategy paid off pretty well.

Online gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 03:18:23 pm »
Next time I'm just going to watch for neglected items rather than picking a dozen or more things to put bids on.

That is the approach that I took. I waited till close to the end to find items that hadn't even been bid on (or still had very low prices), and then picked the least active items that I was interested in. Per my previous post, that strategy paid off pretty well.

Having a lowball highest bid which is below the hidden reserve value doesn't mean anything yet. I had the highest bids on 3 items which were all below the hidden reserve value. I'll have to wait a couple of more days to see if the those bids are approved as winning bids.

One thing that was not clear to me at the time I placed the bids is that if the bid is below the reserve value the bid that they use for consideration of approving your bid appears to be the proxy bid limit, which might be higher than what your bid got pushed up to by the second highest bidder. For example if your proxy bid limit is $400 which was below the reserve but the second highest bidder only pushes your bid up to $300 they appear to use the $400 proxy bid limit in considering approving your bid. I guess if it's something you really want you might want to put in a higher proxy bid limit to improve the chance that they accept the bid, while if it's something you just want to get lucky on just bid enough to have the highest bid. Of course once the reserve is hit you only need to have the highest bid.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:21:25 pm by gslick »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 03:24:59 pm »
What a mess!

As soon as I read about popcorn bidding, my interest faded totally away.

For hobby/amateur use, I think eBay is still the #1.

The only better option is direct deals on forums like this one.

Regards,
Vitor

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »
Having a lowball highest bid which is below the hidden reserve value doesn't mean anything yet. I had the highest bids on 3 items which were all below the hidden reserve value. I'll have to wait a couple of more days to see if the those bids are approved as winning bids.

One thing that was not clear to me at the time I placed the bids is that if the bid is below the reserve value the bid that they use for consideration of approving your bid appears to be the proxy bid limit, which might be higher than what your bid got pushed up to by the second highest bidder. For example if your proxy bid limit is $400 which was below the reserve but the second highest bidder only pushes your bid up to $300 they appear to use the $400 proxy bid limit in considering approving your bid. I guess if it's something you really want you might want to put in a higher proxy bid limit to improve the chance that they accept the bid, while if it's something you just want to get lucky on just bid enough to have the highest bid. Of course once the reserve is hit you only need to have the highest bid.
Only one of my lowball bids ended beneath the hidden reserve value.  The other was above it ($45 for an Agilent 6623A, a good value).

Hilariously enough, the item that I won but did not reach the reserve bid on was not a proxy bid, I just bid the opening price and won it.  We will see if they accept that.  You are right about the proxy bid situation regarding the reserve limit though, it is unclear as to whether they ask the seller for the proxy bid price or the actual closing bid price.  We will see what ends up happening.

Quote from: Bicurico
What a mess!

As soon as I read about popcorn bidding, my interest faded totally away.

For hobby/amateur use, I think eBay is still the #1.

The only better option is direct deals on forums like this one.

I honestly like the popcorn bidding.  I hate that items skyrocket in price in the last minute of the bid on ebay.  Having the high bid in the last 10 seconds only to find out you lost because 70 other people button mashed to drive up the price is terribly irritating to me.  The popcorn bidding gives everyone time to think about their bids and bid up to the maximum that they are willing to go.  I happen to like that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:47:53 pm by SMB784 »

Offline eeviking

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 03:55:47 pm »
The timing was horrible for me.  The one piece that I really wanted went for just over $1k, a price would would happily have paid but just couldn't swing right now.

It was a faulty Audio Precision analyzer BTW.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Me too. I was looking at the R&S UPV audio analyzer, but decided against bidding as money is a little short and shipping would properly be a nightmare.
Now Im kicking myself as it went for only 1050$  :palm:

Did anyone in Europe buy anything from them? How is the shipping handled?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:11:33 pm by eeviking »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 04:04:43 pm »
I tried to buy some stuff (including those audio analysers) but as I was looking for silly cheap I didn't get anything.

Online gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 04:07:23 pm »
My highest auction bids for 3 identical items were all the same value X. My proxy bid limits on those 3 items were 1.23X, 1.43X, and 1.54X. I'll see which, if any, of those bids are accepted. If they accept any I suppose I hope they accept all 3 to lower the average cost, but then I'll be wondering if they would have also accepted only X for all 3.

Offline SMB784

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tequity Surplus
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »
My highest auction bids for 3 identical items were all the same value X. My proxy bid limits on those 3 items were 1.23X, 1.43X, and 1.54X. I'll see which, if any, of those bids are accepted. If they accept any I suppose I hope they accept all 3 to lower the average cost, but then I'll be wondering if they would have also accepted only X for all 3.

My proxy bid value for the item I won under the reserve amount was value X (proxy bid value = to final price), so we will have 4 data points to go with for future auctions :)

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 04:24:01 pm »
I honestly like the popcorn bidding.  I hate that items skyrocket in price in the last minute of the bid on ebay.  Having the high bid in the last 10 seconds only to find out you lost because 70 other people button mashed to drive up the price is terribly irritating to me.  The popcorn bidding gives everyone time to think about their bids and bid up to the maximum that they are willing to go.  I happen to like that.
The only way to deal with eBay is to use sniping software (just like the "other 70", I guess). I use JBidWatcher as it runs locally without needing to trust a 3rd party web platform with your eBay login details.

Effectively this turns eBay into a "sealed bid" system, once you realise this it's no so bad.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 05:28:33 pm »

I was also wondering that... Last time I got a quote from a site like that to package and ship a CMU200, it was above 800€! Since then I never bothered any more. Ebay is now also my main resource to buy affordable gear, but prices on Ebay having been going up and up the last years in my opinion (certainly in Europe). Ebay US is still quite reasonable, and the Global shipping program makes it hassle free.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 07:35:08 pm »

I was also wondering that... Last time I got a quote from a site like that to package and ship a CMU200, it was above 800€! Since then I never bothered any more. Ebay is now also my main resource to buy affordable gear, but prices on Ebay having been going up and up the last years in my opinion (certainly in Europe). Ebay US is still quite reasonable, and the Global shipping program makes it hassle free.

If you buy single pieces, prices for pickup and packaging are silly. Gets a bit better when you have several items. Depends enormously on location and packager as well.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 08:19:25 pm »
If you buy single pieces, prices for pickup and packaging are silly. Gets a bit better when you have several items. Depends enormously on location and packager as well.

Yeach, I can imagen that. But you never know how many you are going to win when you start bidding... And if shipping a single item costs more than the item itself, it risky to "only" win one.

I do not understand why they make it so expensive, their effectively limiting their potential market.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 01:51:48 am »
I do not understand why they make it so expensive, their effectively limiting their potential market.

They will be charging for actual time and costs, probably for an external logistics service - not as an 'add-on' service to the auction.

In the US, limiting their market is not a big issue since there are likely a lot of people in the market they already have.  Besides, if they are an auction house, I can imagine them only being interested in getting product out with the least amount of faffing around.

Offline CoalCreekPlastics

• Supporter
  • !
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:53 am »
I got the Agilent 54624A Mega Zoom Oscilloscope for $105.  It was powered on in the photos, we'll see if it's a good deal after the premium tax and shipping.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2017, 12:29:56 pm »

Yeach, I can imagen that. But you never know how many you are going to win when you start bidding... And if shipping a single item costs more than the item itself, it risky to "only" win one.

AS someone mentioned: ussualy not the same party. Some auction houses have a list approved shippers, shopping around makes a difference. Recently bid on another auction, shipper A was twice as expensive as B. But shipping still makes up for about 25% of the final price...

You're right, off course, if you end up with a single item you're likely to be screwed. You can always ask around and see who's in your area and willing to work together. You can then maybe agree not to bid on the same item.

Wink. Wink.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2017, 12:35:46 pm »
WTF they don't include the buyers premium and handling fees in your bid amounts....

That's normal practice, at least for US auctions.  The whole point is to get you to bid up.  In addition to those charges, the auctioneers also get another 15-25% of the bid amount as their commission.

This is the first auction I've seen handling fees, as if 18% isn't enough.  I hope that's not a trend.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2017, 12:52:21 pm »
hassle free but idiotically expensive.  I could get most if not every item I bought from ebay with the GSP, through our customs with significantly smaller fees. And then there's the problem that most US sellers hate Europe and will not send anything in here...

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2017, 03:57:02 pm »
You can always ask around and see who's in your area and willing to work together. You can then maybe agree not to bid on the same item.

Wink. Wink.

Hmmm, sounds interesting....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf