Author Topic: USA Source for Brymen Meters?  (Read 36562 times)

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
Re: USA Source for Brymen Meters?
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 06:14:11 pm »
Cheapest place to get brymens is from tme.eu, bought mine bm869s a week ago for 190e +VAT
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:15:46 pm by Iwanushka »
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 07:12:20 pm »
I also saw some Southwire DMMs on the Lowes.com site, they look like Extech, is that the case?
Avoid Southwire meters.  The original OEM is CEM Instruments and their quality control, in particular the soldering, is questionable at best.  They also make some meters for Extech including the one Dave's $100 shootout.

Offline QualityGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 02:14:10 pm »
Just a word of caution for those considering purchasing a Brymen from overseas: I purchased a Brymen BM257S late in 2015.  Did a very thorough review before buying and was very impressed.  I ultimately purchased one through an authorized seller on eBay, received the meter quickly, and was impressed with the build quality and accuracy.  Only one problem: it died after 7 months of occasional, light use.  To make matters worse, I find that I have to return it to Hong Kong on my own dime.  I was shocked to find out what shipping charges are from the USA to Hong Kong!  The average price for a slow boat trip is $60. Lesson learned on buying anything of value from Hong Kong or China.  It will literally need to be a throw-away item, which it looks like I will need to do with the Brymen.   

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 04:37:55 pm »
Just a word of caution for those considering purchasing a Brymen from overseas:
Yes, this has been mentioned here before in other Brymen threads about buying overseas either from TME or Franky.  The cost of their shipping to the USA might be heavily subsidised, but shipping from USA back to them could be very $$$ especially with tracking, signature, etc.

To make matters worse, I find that I have to return it to Hong Kong on my own dime.
That has been the case with pretty much all online ebay, aliexpress, etc purchases.  If you bought it from Franky, his auction clearly states "Buyer pays return shipping".

It will literally need to be a throw-away item, which it looks like I will need to do with the Brymen.
I can't guarantee it, but if you want to start another thread on what is exactly broken with your Brymen, I and others can try to help determine what is wrong and possibly fix it? I sent you a PM as well since this is your first post and you may not come back to eevblog.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:55:35 pm by retiredcaps »

The following users thanked this post: QualityGuy

Offline QualityGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 05:32:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Since this was my first post, I'm still learning the way around the Forum.

I was fully aware of my responsibility to pay for return shipping to the seller but thought a warranty return to the factory for service would be covered. It seems I must return it to him and he takes care of it with the factory.   My "bad" for not inquiring on this point. What I was not aware of was that (1) a "Fluke-like quality" meter would crap out after only 7 months of very light use, and (2) just how much the shipping to Hong Kong would be.

I would love to have some help on fixing it and I will start another thread.  I plan on being a regular participant.

Thanks Again,

Mike
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:39:16 pm by QualityGuy »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 11:02:05 pm »
Just to be clear, the problem of warranty on items purchased overseas is a problem for all manufacturers. They will all tell you to ship the item back to the seller. This the risk with the global market. It is always better to but locally, if the price is not ridiculously high. Well almost always. There are some companies locally who will screw you too.

Offline QualityGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 11:36:35 pm »
Just to be clear, the problem of warranty on items purchased overseas is a problem for all manufacturers. They will all tell you to ship the item back to the seller. This the risk with the global market. It is always better to buy locally, if the price is not ridiculously high...
This is a lesson I've learned the hard way!

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 04:17:08 am »
I was shocked to find out what shipping charges are from the USA to Hong Kong!  The average price for a slow boat trip is $60.

It's not that bad... for a 2 pound package, USPS First Class Mail International costs $22.

And BTW, USPS no longer offers boat trips.  Everything goes by air.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:36:06 pm by edavid »

Offline QualityGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 05:05:17 am »
I put in the weight and dimensions in the on-line USPS calculator and it was much, much more than $22.00.  With some padding, my meter won't fit into the small flat rate box, which is the cheapest I found at $31.95.  It's the 1-5/8 inch dimension that gets me.

Regards,
Mike
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:59:16 pm by QualityGuy »

Offline QualityGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 04:09:17 pm »
...eDavid, thanks for mentioning First Class.  I asked the local post office about this and was told that for the dimensions of my shipping box and weight, it could go this way.  So, it's now on its way to Hong Kong for $22.75.  Not cheap but better than $60.00!

Many Thanks,
Mike
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:41:25 pm by QualityGuy »

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2016, 04:36:55 am »
I feel like I've "hijacked" this thread and that wasn't my intention, so I'll start a new thread if I have anything else to add after this brief comment.

eDavid, thanks for mentioning First Class.  I asked the local post office about this and was told that for the dimensions of my shipping box and weight, it could go this way.  So, it's now on its way to Hong Kong for $22.75.  Not cheap but better than $60.00!

Many Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

This is Franky (I sold you the BM257S). I just saw this thread. I'm sorry about the trouble with your particular unit. I hope we can sort this out quickly. You can also contact me here on the forum if you prefer this over the eBay messaging system (which is rather limiting!).

Cheers,
Franky
My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline QualityGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »

eDavid, thanks for mentioning First Class.  I asked the local post office about this and was told that for the dimensions of my shipping box and weight, it could go this way.  So, it's now on its way to Hong Kong for $22.75.  Not cheap but better than $60.00!

Many Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

This is Franky (I sold you the BM257S). I just saw this thread. I'm sorry about the trouble with your particular unit. I hope we can sort this out quickly. You can also contact me here on the forum if you prefer this over the eBay messaging system (which is rather limiting!).

Cheers,
Franky

Hi Franky;  Just so everyone knows, I have not mentioned you as the seller.  But now that you've volunteered the information, let me say this: you've been very, very responsive & helpful.  You've offered to send me a replacement meter as soon as you receive mine (hopefully soon).  No complaints with your service at all.  Now, if we could just get more reasonable shipping rates to Hong Kong! Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:42:17 pm by QualityGuy »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 03:39:14 pm »
Hi Franky;  Just so everyone knows, I have not mentioned you as the seller.
You didn't have to.  Regulars here know it is Franky.

Offline QualityGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 04:00:03 am »
I feel like I've "hijacked" this thread and that wasn't my intention....

Many Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Cheers,
Franky

Hi Franky;

Replacement Brymen received and it works on all functions.  Looks good, too!  Thanks very much for your great customer service and help. 

So, although getting the meter back to Hong Kong wasn't cheap, I fortunately picked a good, honest seller to work with. Hey, one out of two ain't bad...

Regards,

Mike

Online SmokeyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2021, 04:10:04 am »
It's 2021, and apparently Brymen still doesn't have a US Distributor?  I wonder what the deal is.  Could they still be under contract with Greenlee and not able to sell under their name?

Offline kawal

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2021, 10:27:45 pm »
I ordered a Brymen clamp meter from TME Poland with shipping to the USA . The shipment made it to me within a few days and the shipping was super cheap (FEDEX priority shipping for $9.99).

Ordered on  September 15th and received the package on September  20th. That is better than  some amazon deliveries.

TME has very attractive prices - got some spare Brymen meter probes for $12

Overal I am very impressed with the service provided by TME.

Brymen sells to Greenlee and Ampro and a few others so they might be contracted not to sell in the USA directly.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:32:21 pm by kawal »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf