Author Topic: Want to buy Flux pen, no clean  (Read 11902 times)

Offline dicsTopic starter

• Contributor
    • dicsEE - Hobby Electronics
Want to buy Flux pen, no clean
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:36:55 pm »
Hi guys,
i want to buy a flux pen, no-clean type and i cannot find it anywhere in my country. I could order it from Farnell but the pen is $15 and the shipping costs are $200 !! It seems they need to pack it in a special bag which should protect the environment and keep the pen safe since it can burst into flames at an moment (or so does the datasheet specify, fire and environmental hazard).
I just want to buy a damn flux pen no clean and i cannot do it :)
Can anyone suggest me a way to get one ? Or maybe someone can help me by buying one for me and send it here in an envelope ? (i will pay for everything, of course).
Thank you in advance for any advice you might have for me.

dics
BTW: just starting this thread i remembered my Lineage 2 playing days : wtb flux pen no-clean :)
LE: i am in Romania

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Want to buy Flux pen, no clean
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »
i got 2 suggestions, u may pick one:
1) buy from ebay, there are Chinese sellers that can give you free shipping, but beware of product imitation, u might get a lemon juice inside, like i did.
2) wait until you got lot of things to order and buy in bulk from Farnell, combined shipping may contributes to a lot lesser cost for each product.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »
Thank you for yous suggestions. The second one is out of the question since they will still make me pay an additional 200$ for the fluspen because of the hazards i listed in my first message. Is it really this dangerous ?
About ebay, never tried to buy from any of the sellers there but i am sure they will require special packaging as well if they are companies.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:42:14 am »
Well I happy to help anyone out but is this thing really that dangerous ? I don't mind sending it on for you but I don't want to be the cause of hazard if this thing needs special packing. what is special about this flux pen that a "normal" flux pen can't do ?

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:52:51 am »
I've bought flux from a Sparkfun reseller and from a local Amtech reseller and there were no special postage requirements from either. Try another company!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 06:53:30 am »
Thank you very much Simon. I really don't know, is regular flux stored in a pen and after applying it i don't have to clean the residues. But if i go online on farnell site for example, all those flux pens have a "hazard" icon near the datasheet icon.
I managed to buy one flux pen which is the clean type (it sais on the label it can be cleaned with water, i am guessing special de-ionized water) but i don't know if i really have to clean the residues or not. Are they really so corrosive that i have to try to wash them off after soldering ?

Anyway, i managed to create an account on ebay and i placed an order for a flux pen no-clean and i only payed $9.50 including shipping. This is the link : http://cgi.ebay.com/12ml-Rosin-Flux-Pen-No-Clean-PS3-XBox360-reflow-/130414963359?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1e5d566a9f
I never tried to buy anything from ebay.com, this is my first try. The seller seems to have 99.9 positive feedback (unlike the opamp from Dave's t-shirt :) ) from 6400 opinions. Maybe i am safe...

Thank you again, Simon. Let's see if i get this pen from the seller mentioned above. If i will get scammed i will write again here.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:55:05 am »
great, I wish you luck, many sellers are ok it's just such a nuisance to find a bad apple

Offline Strube09

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:05:58 pm »
Kinda crazy. I ordered a flux pen from digikey and it just came in a plastic bag and in a box with all my other parts.

I can probably help you out if your ebay pen is junk... or comes with apple juice in it :)

Digikey has the two options:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=KE1804-ND
and
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CW8400-ND

Let me know

Strube

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 06:32:47 am »
I've bought a number of items from china/hong kong on ebay and have not had a problem yet. only thing is it can take up to 2 weeks even 3 and some sellers won't ship to every european country but usually always to the uk

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 12:54:11 pm »
Kinda crazy. I ordered a flux pen from digikey and it just came in a plastic bag and in a box with all my other parts.
I can probably help you out if your ebay pen is junk... or comes with apple juice in it :)
Strube

Super, thank you very much for your help. Let's see what i get from e-bay

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 12:05:02 am »
It's not that dangerous- just that shippers consider pretty much anything liquid and/or burnable as hazardous and requiring 'special' handling, regardless of actual hazard.
You need to find someone who is happy to just stick it in a jiffybag & not worry as much as the Big Guys.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 05:47:33 am »
well it's acid not radio active !

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:22 am »
The main danger from shipping most flux is the benzyl, methyl, and isopropyl alcohols and butyl acetate (seriously goofy stuff) used to thin the flux. These are all highly flammable and readily release flammable vapor, so they rank a 3 on fire hazard and become a pain to ship. They're also present a slight health hazard, ranking only a 1, which basically means keep out of sensitive tissues and don't drink it on a dare. Fluxes generally don't rank on reactivity, so they're not considered dangerously acidic.

The flux itself is essentially just rosin (tree sap) that's been messed with in various proprietary manners. No clean flux contains extremely little to zero rosin, instead substituting proprietary stuff that does a similar job along with more and varied thinners from above.

Just a friendly 'more than you wanted to know' from your local science nerd. :)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 12:36:57 pm »
sounds like it's a case of:"this is what the packaging costs and now you have it for one you can get 10 in there for the same price" which of course makes shipping one very expensive if all regs are adhered to.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:23 am »
Done, my flux pen from ebay arrived this morning. And i only payed like $10 including shipping. I like it :)
Thank you guys for all your help

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf