General > Buy/Sell/Wanted

Wanted: IC tubes/rails

(1/2) > >>

DJPhil:
Hey folks, I know it's been a while.  :-[

I've been reorganising here and have need of a more accessible storage mechanism for the ICs that are piling up here. I'm the sort with a bit more modest concerns regarding ESD, and I don't have the money to lay out for good foam, so after reviewing my options it looks like the 22 inch sections of IC rail/tube would work best for me.

Just thought I'd check here before I went and bought any to see if anyone (or maybe their employer) throws the stuff away in gobs. I figure it couldn't hurt to see if someone would be willing to ship me some (I'm happy to pay shipping) to reuse.

Speaking to quantity I've probably got about 100 linear feet of 0.3" DIP ICs and 10 linear feet of 0.6" DIP ICs to house, and I don't think I'll ever have more than about twice that much in the future.

Thanks for looking, and just sent me a pm if you'd like to help and we can work out details.

mikeselectricstuff:
If you have any local subcontract assembly places, ask them - they probably normally have to pay commercial waste rates to dispose of them.

Neganur:
if ESD foam doesn't work out for you, how about aluminum (tin) foil on polystyrene foam?

mikeselectricstuff:
Foil would be worse than bare polystyrene, as the metal provides capacitance for a charge to build up on before suddenly making contact with the chip pin. People often forget that the D in ESD is what it's all about.

gregariz:

--- Quote from: mikeselectricstuff on August 04, 2011, 04:18:29 pm ---Foil would be worse than bare polystyrene, as the metal provides capacitance for a charge to build up on before suddenly making contact with the chip pin. People often forget that the D in ESD is what it's all about.

--- End quote ---

Foil on foam is what they used to use before the carbon loaded foam was commonly/cheaply available. I haven't seen it for years but I'm sure you could make your own as the poster mentioned. You poke the chip legs through the foil into the foam so shorting all pins of the chip together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version