Author Topic: Looking for a decent service manual for HP 1740A and maybe parts / mule?  (Read 5463 times)

Offline SpecmasterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I have just aquired a lovely 1740A that has a few issues and I need a manual that is readable. I have downloaded one from their web site which has been scanned so many times that it is only just about readable on screen and no hope at once printed.  The schematics are split across multiple pages and once printed in an attempt to tape them together, is unreadable, hence the request. If anyone knows where a decent one can be got, or has one for sale / loan please let me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
One I got years ago was OK but not 100%.
I can't remember the source but the filename is 01740-90909.pdf (26 Mb) and Google returns a few hits.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Artek has a good PDF for $9.50: http://artekmanuals.com/manuals/hp-manuals/

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
I have just aquired a lovely 1740A that has a few issues and I need a manual that is readable. I have downloaded one from their web site which has been scanned so many times that it is only just about readable on screen and no hope at once printed.  The schematics are split across multiple pages and once printed in an attempt to tape them together, is unreadable, hence the request. If anyone knows where a decent one can be got, or has one for sale / loan please let me.
I might have a better manual. I will look.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
I have an HP1740A service manual that is usable but fairly bad. It may be the same one that you have. The file is just over 26MBytes.

To print, you have to boost the contrast. It is only a 72pixels/inch scan which is a bummer. I have attached some low and high contrast samples so you can compare.

Edit: Looks like I can get a bit better quality by using a different method (I originally used Photoshop to open the PDF page). Go to a page you want in Adobe Reader, Ctl-A to select the image, right click and copy image. Then open an image edit such as paint.net. In paint.net, you can insert clipboard as new image. Then go to Adjustments->Curves and drag the bottom end of the curve to the right until the contrast is right. You can past pages together in the image editor instead of using paper and tape. Works well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:01:45 am by amspire »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
I noticed that some of the circuit diagrams in the HP1740A manual actually consist of multiple images for a page in the pdf. This makes saving the page as an image a little difficult.

A good solution seems to be to get YACReader (https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/34182-yacreader). If you open the PDF, you can go to Options (the cog wheel)-Image Adjustment and by setting the Gamma to 0, Brightness to about 6 and contrast to 115, you get decent contrast. Then you can save each page as an image. Not sure you can actually print from YACReader.

YACReader is designed for comic book collections, so you have to make a library folder, put the pdf in the library, and open it from the library.

Definitely an improvement on using Photoshop to read the PDF.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:59:44 am by amspire »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less

HP1740a is a sweet scope.

The Artek manuals are good, but you may want to print out some of the schematics on A3 paper.

The paper manuals are good in that they pages can be folded out horizontally so you can see schematic, layout and waveforms simultaneously (providing you have a very wide bench!). It also means that scans usually have the pages in an order that doesn't make too much sense in a pdf file.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
I can't remember the source but the filename is 01740-90909.pdf (26 Mb) and Google returns a few hits.
Thats the very one that is on Keysights web site (as the new owners of Hewlett Packard), they say it is there for reference / support only as the product is obsolete and to make it worse still, someone has been dicking about with the PDF and added blue and red boxes all over the place, badly which helps to make it a last resort only. Try to print it out, especially the schematics and you're doomed, almost blank sheets of paper are produced. To make it worse, its the same file that the other sites also offer.

There are of course other sites that offer manuals for a fee, but I'm worried that I'll pay my money and then get a download which will yield the same file again.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
Thats the very one that is on Keysights web site (as the new owners of Hewlett Packard), they say it is there for reference / support only as the product is obsolete and to make it worse still, someone has been dicking about with the PDF and added blue and red boxes all over the place, badly which helps to make it a last resort only. Try to print it out, especially the schematics and you're doomed, almost blank sheets of paper are produced. To make it worse, its the same file that the other sites also offer.

There are of course other sites that offer manuals for a fee, but I'm worried that I'll pay my money and then get a download which will yield the same file again.

So, are you saying that the manuals from Artek are printed ones, not a download link? Are they good quality prints and the illustrations nice and sharp?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Done few deals with Artek in the past, although not this scope, they told me all documents they're selling are high quality scan works from original printed manuals.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor

So, are you saying that the manuals from Artek are printed ones, not a download link? Are they good quality prints and the illustrations nice and sharp?

They are a download link to their own scans. I have two of their manuals, and they are very usable. Not as good as printed manuals, for the reasons I alluded to in an earlier message.

I have never heard a bad report about their scans.

Here's a detail from their scan of a Tek492 manual.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
I have a paper copy of this manual, so if you get stuck with a poor quality PDF let me know & I'll try and help you out.

Which reminds me, I need to get the delayed sweep working again (it doesn't trigger)

• Super Contributor
I have a paper copy of this manual, so if you get stuck with a poor quality PDF let me know & I'll try and help you out.

Which reminds me, I need to get the delayed sweep working again (it doesn't trigger)

Thanks for the offer which I may take you up on if the scan is of poor quality, but so far based on the evidence of tggzzz I have ordered a copy from Artek.

Like Dave, I'm impressed by the build quality of this scope, although gaining access to some parts is a, or at least looks to be a real nightmare.  When I opened it up for the first time, it was like it had just come out of the factory, not a spot of dirt or dust anywhere to be seen and is so nice to see a proper linear power supply, none of this smps rubbish. I have a Hameg HM408-1A which has one of those and its a real pain in the arse as there is so little information available for it and I'm having problems with the smps.

If you don't mind, I may ask your advise from time on the HP if you're already familiar with it?

One problem I'm having with it so far is that when testing channel B, the vertical position control works just fine, but also the trigger level also seems to do the same vertical function which I don't recall happening until I used switch cleaner on whatever switches and pots I could gain access to easily. Its as if I had pressed the ALT and TRIG VIEW buttons in but with only a single trace on screen???
Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
I noticed that some of the circuit diagrams in the HP1740A manual actually consist of multiple images for a page in the pdf. This makes saving the page as an image a little difficult.

A good solution seems to be to get YACReader (https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/34182-yacreader). If you open the PDF, you can go to Options (the cog wheel)-Image Adjustment and by setting the Gamma to 0, Brightness to about 6 and contrast to 115, you get decent contrast. Then you can save each page as an image. Not sure you can actually print from YACReader.

YACReader is designed for comic book collections, so you have to make a library folder, put the pdf in the library, and open it from the library.

Definitely an improvement on using Photoshop to read the PDF.
I downloaded and tried this program and it does indeed make a big improvement but the downside is that it does not allow you to save the pages or indeed print them which is what I want to do, so I have ordered a copy from Artek and will see if that is any better.
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Yep that's the one I've had for years and it WAS good enough to be printed and made into a hard copy manual that I sold with a scope. It was plenty good enough for the repairs I did in the sweep, HV and output stages.
I don't now remember if I had to twiddle with printer settings to get a readable copy but rather than dump the whole manual to the printer I would only try the iffy pages and fiddle with them until I could get a reasonable print.

I've got a 1740A in need of lots of TLC, maybe we can work through this together............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!

They are a download link to their own scans. I have two of their manuals, and they are very usable. Not as good as printed manuals, for the reasons I alluded to in an earlier message.

I have never heard a bad report about their scans.

Here's a detail from their scan of a Tek492 manual.

That's the first time I've seen a sample of one of their files. Very good quality, indeed. Thanks, tggzzz.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor

Yep that's the one I've had for years and it WAS good enough to be printed and made into a hard copy manual that I sold with a scope. It was plenty good enough for the repairs I did in the sweep, HV and output stages.
I don't now remember if I had to twiddle with printer settings to get a readable copy but rather than dump the whole manual to the printer I would only try the iffy pages and fiddle with them until I could get a reasonable print.

I've got a 1740A in need of lots of TLC, maybe we can work through this together............
Will do my best to help you where I can, I'm still learning all the time, although scopes are by their very nature complicated items, they seem to call out to me the most, but I like all test equipment....
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
Will do my best to help you where I can, I'm still learning all the time, although scopes are by their very nature complicated items, they seem to call out to me the most, but I like all test equipment....

Wait until you move onto spectrum analysers and 6/7/8 digit voltmeters :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
That's the first time I've seen a sample of one of their files. Very good quality, indeed. Thanks, tggzzz.

The Artek owner contributes to both the Yahoo TekScopes and hp_agilent_equipment groups.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Back when I was purchasing a manual from Dave for the first time, he had no problem sending me free samples of the particular manuals I was interested in. And when I (once) complained about the quality of one of his scans, he went back and scanned it again and sent me a much better scan a couple of months later. Same with some manuals that had not had their schematics pages stitched.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:43:06 am by alm »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
I have just converted the HP1740A manual to a high contrast manual. Ended up doing it with ImageMagick+Ghostscript.  It is too big to add to the forum, so I will post a link as soon as I have uploaded it along with instructions of how to use the ImageMagick "convert" command.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Here is my first attempt at fixing the contrast problem in the HP 1740A manual PDF file.

https://amspire.com/192876453/HP1740A_Service_Manual.pdf

This is the method I used.

Install Ghostscript and ImageMagick. They are available for all OSes.

Open a cmd/terminal window if the same folder as the HP 1740A manual pdf.

Run a command like the following:
Code: [Select]
magick convert -density 300x300 "HP1740A Service Manual.pdf" -threshold 80% -quality 100 -normalize -monochrome  out.pdf
I am not sure if I should be using monochrome, normalize and threshold in the same step. I haven't used Image Magick before.

Normalize adjust the document so that the tones go from black to white. Threshold=80% means that any tone less then 80% of white is made black.

If anyone manages a better effort, please post it.

Richard.

Edit: Just uploading a new version with Threshold=84%. Seems to be close to the best compromise.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:44:35 am by amspire »

The following users thanked this post: BravoV

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Richard, actually the schematic after stitched is pretty good, attached example below for 1st one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf