Author Topic: WTB (NZ) 3 pin bulgin conector  (Read 1505 times)

Offline HendoNZTopic starter

• Contributor
WTB (NZ) 3 pin bulgin conector
« on: November 06, 2021, 07:55:19 pm »
Hi all,
I'm on the lookout for an old style 3 pin bulgin barrel conector. I've got an old audio function generator that has this conector. I'd really love to get it working without having to change the plug. (Not allowed to do that kind of thing in NZ).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB (NZ) 3 pin bulgin conector
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 07:47:44 pm »
It would be a good idea to add some pictures & measurements, as they come in several different sizes.

David

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 07:53:16 pm »
A search on eBay.co.uk for “Bulgin 3 pin plug” provides many hits and plenty of versions to select from.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 08:35:37 pm »
Geo-blocking by ePay may prevent some UK listings from showing.

The smallest size is still made, Mouser, RS & Farnell have both PX0646 (straight) or PX0430/SE (right angle), these both have cable grips.
Avoid old stock as they are made from quite brittle plastic and avoid the low-voltage version that can do undone without tools.

The larger size is no longer made AFAIK, I have seen a right angle version with cord grip too.
These are used in some old audio gear and fetch high prices as a result.

David

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 04:41:41 pm »
(Not allowed to do that kind of thing in NZ).
You sure about that? I think that Aus has/had some daft rules about even working on appliances etc, but you're allowed to at least do some basic stuff in NZ:
https://www.worksafe.govt.nz/managing-health-and-safety/consumers/safe-living-with-electricity/getting-electrical-work-done/doing-your-own-electrical-work/
(you're meant to get any additions to the house wiring checked before energising it, but in my experience that is routinely ignored for the simple stuff!)
They also actually got us to do some simple appliance-type mains wiring one day at uni (BE degree in CHCH) to try and at least give the less hands-on students an idea of how not to be an idiot about stuff. I think it was wiring up the mains input to a linear PSU in a mock-up enclosure, plus wiring up a mains lead or something - sensible basic stuff that would cover the majority of what people actually need to know.

That all said it's always nice to get the right connector and not need to muck around changing the equipment input socket, though if it's easy to fit a C14 it'll mean you never need to worry about the cable again. element14 is probably your best bet for getting the correct connector with free shipping if you can't ebay it, though if you've got other stuff to order too then digikey/mouser etc are worth a look. RS is fucking useless these days, they have killed free shipping on small orders AND have put excessively high MOQs on most of the range too (e.g. minimum of 5 plugs!).

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 08:32:35 pm »
they have killed free shipping on small orders

I still got that the other day.

have put excessively high MOQs on most of the range

But got caught with this one! Had to order 25-off a regulator I only one of.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 10:14:18 pm »
Free shipping threshold will likely vary from country to country. In the UK it's 30 quid for private customers, 0 for business :wtf:. It looks like I can probably order stuff shipped to work but pay with my own card to get around that though (haven't tried yet).
Still sucks compared to how it used to be, with next-day free everything and more reasonable pack sizes (albeit still painful prices). In Auckland you used to even get free same-day delivery (on a much smaller range than what's available in the UK mind - everything not in the country would take up to a week).

Offline HendoNZTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 02:53:42 am »
Thanks for all the replies.

I'll probably just wait till I need to order a few things. Shipping is over the top from those places.

I would change the socket, but it's from the 70s and if I want to sell it on I'd need to have it checked electrically and tagged - that would cost about as much as it's worth.

Cheers

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 02:33:03 pm »
Thought these would be useful for future reference, from the 1984 RS components catalog, it gives some sizes and the voltage ratings of those Bulgin connectors.
Note: that those with the cover that can be removed without tools, are only rated for 50V unless inaccessible  >:D as shown by the * before the stock number.

David
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 02:37:18 pm by factory »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf