Author Topic: WTB: (US) Signature Analyzer  (Read 1244 times)

Offline CramboneTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
WTB: (US) Signature Analyzer
« on: March 20, 2023, 02:48:50 pm »
Hello, I’m looking for a working Signature Analyzer such an HP 5004a, 5005a…..

Please let me know what you would need shipped to Mountainside, NJ 07092.

Thank you, Andrew

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
Re: WTB: (US) Signature Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 07:24:37 pm »
In a pinch you can use Sigrok with the SA decoder and a $10 Salaea clone.  It has some limitations but it can work.  Not my first choice, but absolutely the cheapest.

The following users thanked this post: Crambone

Offline super7800

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 08:43:12 pm »
Some older tek "logic analyzers" will do it. Can't remember a specific model off the top of my head. It's what I've used, and they work great. Cheaper than what hp go for used. Might be worth looking into.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 01:03:59 am »
Some older tek "logic analyzers" will do it. Can't remember a specific model off the top of my head. It's what I've used, and they work great. Cheaper than what hp go for used. Might be worth looking into.

Tektronix 308. It's cheap and got a signature analyzer integrated.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 01:10:40 am »
I had a HP signature analyzer years ago I finally gave away since it didn't seem like they were selling for enough to be worth packing and shipping. What are people using those things for? I thought the idea was pretty much a fad, I have some early 80s arcade schematics that list signatures but nothing else. It was a novel idea but in practice I found it easier to just diagnose the fault the old fashioned way.

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 09:55:37 am »
HP was big on signature analysis for a while, and their service manuals would only discuss signature analysis for digital troubleshooting. Signatures would change with every firmware revision, however, so with today's reality of often not having the correct manual version for the firmware version of the instrument (just whatever version is available on the usual download sites), I'm not sure how useful it will be.

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 07:38:05 am »
I had this problem with a HP 4274a, full with ~ 10 PCBs and signatures all over the schematics and fault findig trees (partly only readable in the 4275a manual). They have extra dip switches to set the right signature mode. In effect they output a counter to the parallel ports, so you can see if any bits are stuck, as each following bit has the half frequency. You can easily trace it with a scope or a logic analyser. Fault was the high speed comparator in the A/D converter, a National LM361N, same faulty ic as in a 5335a.

The signals for the signature look like this:

The sigrok aproach is "interesting".
- The signatures are very long, 2^16 clock cycles, hard to sample with small ram, even worse without clocked mode.
- You must find the right script to translate it on linux. https://www.onetransistor.eu/2017/11/script-to-compile-and-install-pulseview.html
- or find the windows 32 bit version in archive.org https://web.archive.org/web/20201101141813/https://sigrok.org/jenkins/job/sigrok-cross-mingw/buildtype=static,debugtype=release,platform=cross-i686-w64-mingw32/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/pulseview-NIGHTLY-32bit-static-release-installer.exe
- You should use your LA in clocked mode, which sigrok does not use (at least with the zerologic LA), but as it is free software, you can implement this.
- The signature analyser script does not use clocked mode either, start and stop can't be on same signal transition. Would be the easier part to implement.
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline Teichhermelin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 03:37:44 pm »

I have a 5005B for sale, but location is Germany. That'll be too expensive for you.

Online guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 11:42:55 pm »
Is this still relevant?
How 'bout https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/oakland-hp-5004a-signature-analyzer/7613105564.html

(not associated, just stumbled across that posting)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf