Author Topic: FOUND: Cadsoft EAGLE License 4.1 and newer  (Read 2069 times)

Offline MarcXTopic starter

• Contributor
FOUND: Cadsoft EAGLE License 4.1 and newer
« on: May 25, 2022, 10:36:46 pm »
I‘ve started a new project, but my design is reaching my eagle license limits, i‘m using EAGLE 4.1 Standard, this version is limited to a maximum of 4 layers (later „Standard“ versions allow up to 6 layer) so i‘m looking for a EAGLE 4.1 Professional or EAGLE 5+ Standard or Professional license.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:38:01 am by MarcX »

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB: Cadsoft EAGLE License 4.1 and newer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 10:43:51 pm »
"new project", so use it an excuse to try kicad, eagle 4 is 15 years old ...

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 11:23:08 pm »
"new project", so use it an excuse to try kicad, eagle 4 is 15 years old ...

Doesn‘t matter how old it is. I‘m experienced with it and i don‘t want to waste my time with learning a new software and recreating all librarys i‘ve created the last 15 years.

I know that Kicad reached a level which can compete with „professional“ tools but if i would want to do Kicad, i hadn‘t created this thread.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 09:00:20 pm »
Do their original license terms allow reselling of your license?
I think you know what to do.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:06:38 am »
Ummm, years ago I had to buy a whole laptop to get EagleCad v6 with a license.
EagleCad is installed on the hard-disk and node-locked to it

Not a bad laptop in the end, just it's running Window-XP, maybe you can find something similar  :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 10:07:40 am »
Ummm, years ago I had to buy a whole laptop to get EagleCad v6 with a license.
EagleCad is installed on the hard-disk and node-locked to it

Not a bad laptop in the end, just it's running Window-XP, maybe you can find something similar  :-//

usually nodelocked is to the MAC address or harddisk id, both are easily changed

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 02:07:12 pm »
I do not want to pirate the software (otherwise i would using the 7.7 which is floating around the web)

Selling used software licenses is legal in my country and License agreements can‘t restrict you in such cases.

Selling licenses was also not a Problem for cadosft. EAGLE license files contain several informations like licensee and adress and if you wanted to sell your license, Cadsoft created a new license file matching the new licensee.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 02:58:51 pm »
Whetever you do, avoid moving to autodesk/fusion360 eagle, it's not stable, you will hate it.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 05:25:13 pm »
Selling used software licenses is legal in my country and License agreements can‘t restrict you in such cases.

Umm, the problem is how to get a license that depends on your MAC/HD-id.
That's why you should buy the whole computer like I did.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 05:47:57 pm »
It isn‘t neccesary to buy a whole computer, you only require your .key-File (on V4 delivered on a separate floppy disk) and the installation code on the user license certificate.

But i don‘t know if V6 activation differs from V4.

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 06:23:02 pm »
If you have the original "License Registration File" and "Activation Code" (their terminology), the license is not bound to anything in the machine's hardware such as MAC, HDD, hostid, etc.  At least for the Linux 7.x (and I believe previous) versions.

Once you type in the registration and activation code, it generates "eagle.key" in the Eagle bin/ directory, and that appears to have dependencies on the specific machine.  That is what prevents you from simply copying the Eagle directory from one machine to another.

The eagle.key generation can be done off-line, so there is no verification with the mother ship.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 06:49:42 pm »
@MarkL So Cadsoft hasn't changed something in their registration procedure, but their terminology seems to changed, on my user license certificate the activation code is called "Installation Code" but that isn't a big change, the procedure is the same. I've looked at my Cadsoft FTP Backup from February (can't connect at the moment, maybe autodesk shut it down) and there was also a floating license model for multi-user licensing based on flexera, but that's another topic.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 07:31:37 pm »
So yes, it is legal to re-sell and buy old licenses, and it is technically straightforward to transfer them to a new computer (if you have the .key file etc.).

But it will not be straightforward to find a license available for sale, I'm afraid. I have seen a few enquiries here and on other forums, none of which got a positive response. Seems that those users who have not simply forgotten about or lost their old Eagle license want to hold on to it -- as "insurance" for accessing old designs when needed, or even for new designs. I am certainly holding on to my 7.x license (hobbyist license only, i.e. not what you need), even though I have switched to KiCad for new projects.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 08:56:09 pm »
So yes, it is legal to re-sell and buy old licenses, and it is technically straightforward to transfer them to a new computer (if you have the .key file etc.).

But it will not be straightforward to find a license available for sale, I'm afraid. I have seen a few enquiries here and on other forums, none of which got a positive response. Seems that those users who have not simply forgotten about or lost their old Eagle license want to hold on to it -- as "insurance" for accessing old designs when needed, or even for new designs. I am certainly holding on to my 7.x license (hobbyist license only, i.e. not what you need), even though I have switched to KiCad for new projects.
Yes, that's quite right.  I need to hold onto my 7.x Eagle Pro license to work with old but well-proven designs.  And like you, new designs will be done in KiCad.

The Eagle import into KiCad is not so bad lately, but when a client asks for another 100 boards with a couple of tweaks, I'm not going to risk an import, edit, and then off to the fab.  Any board errors because of MY decision to switch will not be received well.

There could be 7.x or older licenses floating around as a result of users who fully bit into Autocad/Eagle 8.x and later.  If Autocad/Eagle was considered an upgrade to a 7.x or older version, then probably not, but if they had to buy into Autocad/Eagle fresh under the new rent-ware model with no regard and no value offered for a previous license, it would seem to me the user fully owns the old license and could resell it if desired.

A read of the relevant license agreements would be needed.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 08:28:33 pm »
Still looking for a EAGLE license, i would prefer V5, but V4 is also sufficient.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 09:08:55 am »
Got a V5 Pro License, topic can be closed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf