Author Topic: [Purchased elsewhere] - GTX 1060 6GB graphics card  (Read 1914 times)

Offline BrumbyTopic starter

• Supporter
[Purchased elsewhere] - GTX 1060 6GB graphics card
« on: February 28, 2020, 06:48:03 am »
Been poking around looking to give my desktop a bit of a boost in the graphics department and this card would appear a reasonable candidate.

Anybody have one they'd be prepared to part with for around $150AUD?  I'm wary of international shipping costs, so be mindful of this if you are not in Australia.

Alternatively, anything which has CUDA and can compete on the performance scale might be considered.

Found one on eBay....

Life is too short.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:00:02 am by Brumby »

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB - GTX 1060 6GB graphics card (or competitive performance with CUDA)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:56:37 am »
A more likely story is Doom Eternal.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:32:22 am »
My "extreme" gaming demand is Age Of Empires, Rise Of Rome - which was released last millennium.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 11:21:07 am »
Look, we all know Mount and Blade 2 will be release in march and your'e looking for a 1060 video card in february. Coincidence? I dont think so..

Don't know what those are.  Haven't seen them.  Don't care.  I bailed from first person shooter after a brief time with Castle Wolfenstein (I think it was).  I spend more than enough time on the computer as it is without whiling away many hours achieving nothing.  It might surprise you to know that there are quite a number of computer users that don't bury themselves in gaming.

The performance that I need is for a couple of use cases:  The first is real-time rendering of CAD models.
 Then there is the image processing for photogrammetry, where CUDA cores become quote useful.  These have a lot of similarity in the hardware requirements as gaming - but their usefulness extends OUTSIDE gaming.  (Believe it or not.)

The truth be known, I would really like a Quadro card, but to get the performance I am after, I'd be paying thousands.  Not in the budget.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:41:32 am »
Cuda cores can be used by some BOINC projects too. They are specific task processors for general purpose use by anyone that can be bothered to write code for them.

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 10:20:01 am »
It was a joke. I really cant believe that you can take it seriously...

I took that as a statement from a gamer - the sort of gamer who believes the primary reason for any half-decent hardware can only be meant for gaming.  That is, a narrow-minded individual who can't look past their own interests and believes anyone expressing conflicting views must be lying.

That's how it read to me.  That's how it came across.  If you want to make jokes on a text-based forum, you had better take precautions so that your intention is clear - otherwise you can easily be misunderstood.

This was the last time im attacked cause i stand for rules/law because I will never do it again, trust me.

No.  You wanted to "make a statement" - and that backfired because you jumped up on your soapbox without thinking it through or asking questions.

The process for making a stand on the rules is very simple and is available on every single post.  It's called "Report to moderator".

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 10:57:36 am »
i thought the argument was now about what the card is for not that that is anyone's business.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 11:24:18 am »
i thought the argument was now about what the card is for not that that is anyone's business.
I think we're past that little kerfuffle.

My critic says 'enough' - and I'm happy to walk away from any such pointless further conversation.

I will only respond to expressions of interest in supply of said graphics card.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 11:46:41 am »
Right, thread cleaned up a bit. Sorry Brumley, that was such a shouting match that I lost track of who was trying to make the purchase.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf