Author Topic: (Finally Solved) HP 34401A front panel and rear panel parts  (Read 4009 times)

Offline coromonadalixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
(Finally Solved) HP 34401A front panel and rear panel parts
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:54:44 am »
Hello  Im searching for used but good to use front and rear panels (not the rubber bumpers), and i need the dark semi transparent window too on the front panel, if anyone has an donnor.

For shipping to Canada, Quebec city

thks
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:27:10 am by coromonadalix »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: WTB HP 34401a front panel and rear panel casing (not the rubber bumpers)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 02:20:32 am »
Hello  Im searching for used but good to use front and rear panels (not the rubber bumpers), and i need the dark semi transparent window too on the front panel, if anyone has an donnor.

For shipping to Canada, Quebec city

thks
Why not try Keysight? Their prices are fairly reasonable for these parts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 02:25:30 am »
yep   waiting for their answers  ;)

The meter received a kick on the front panel, the windows broke and the rear panel cracked beyond repairs :(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 06:22:34 pm »
well, i did managed to get a answer,  they need to search the front panel correct part number ...

You have the old model with square buttons and the new one  round / oval button ... 

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:37:12 pm »
well, i did managed to get a answer,  they need to search the front panel correct part number ...

You have the old model with square buttons and the new one  round / oval button ...
Did you check the repair manual or Find a Part? I haven't had issues finding the correct numbers in the past.

https://www.keysight.com/my/faces/fapHomePage.jspx?cc=US&lc=eng

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »
yep  i did    the only hickup  is the front panel,  it give the "newest version"  ???   they where checking it  and forgot to call me back :(

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:45:19 pm »
yep  i did    the only hickup  is the front panel,  it give the "newest version"  ???   they where checking it  and forgot to call me back :(
Find a Part gives both versions of parts with old and new versions. The link should be the part you're after.

https://www.keysight.com/my/faces/partDetail.jspx?partNumber=34401-40211

Offline vidi

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:45:16 am »
Plastic frame of rear panel is available at thingiverse. I've got mine printed on Prusa, fits pretty well.
Code: [Select]
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2186112

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:36:31 am »
Can't find the rear panel at Keysight .... i dont have 3d printer  loll

I have sent them an new email with all the needed parts,  have to wait and see ?

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 02:20:34 pm »
I have both parts, if you are interested.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Super Contributor
(SOLVED) WTB HP 34401a front panel and rear panel part
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 04:37:45 pm »
A big thanks to Highvoltage

I will have the rear case part with a display bezel

Now  time to get back at keysight for the other parts.

• Super Contributor
Re: (SOLVED) WTB HP 34401a front panel and rear panel part
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 11:55:43 pm »
Last piece of the story 

Service from Keysight in Canada is somewhat hard to obtain, had to call 9 times before hitting the right person, they switched me to Calagry Usa ???  they had some problems for the front panel part i need, ordered 2 of them just in case.

I hope i'll have the old style (squared shift button) theyre not 100% sure ill get the good one loll

But guys / girls  EEvblog members:   since the 34401a is obsolete, as they gently warned me, it may or will be harder and harder to get some parts ...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 12:05:29 am »
Last piece of the story 

Service from Keysight in Canada is somewhat hard to obtain, had to call 9 times before hitting the right person, they switched me to Calagry Usa ???  they had some problems for the front panel part i need, ordered 2 of them just in case.

I hope i'll have the old style (squared shift button) theyre not 100% sure ill get the good one loll

But guys / girls  EEvblog members:   since the 34401a is obsolete, as they gently warned me, it may or will be harder and harder to get some parts ...
I think it's not obsolete but "currently supported". I understand that's Keysight speak for units not being available new, but parts should be available. After that it goes into "extended support", which I think means parts are available while they last.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:22:44 am by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 08:13:22 am »
They did used the terms obsolete   loll

When i asked why i did not find the rear panel part on their find-a-part web search, they where surprised ??

Sure  parts must be available for a while ...

I may need an transformer for another bought yesterday 34401a who doesn't power up ???  would be nice an only burnt fuse  loll  very good looking / non damaged case parts but missing bumpers and handle for 180$ usd, but 110$ usd shipping  loll

This is a received quote, price may or be subject to change(s).  They managed to find the rear case parts in USA ??? 

Highvoltage is sending me a rear case and a display bezel, not ordered.  But i do think i'm gonna order 2 of them each, in a few weeks.

34401-88304 Bezel, Rear Molded   19.48 $ cad
34401-40231 Panel, Front              17.52$ cad        as i wrote earlier, not totally sure it is the "old look" square buttons, well see
34401-49321 Window/Front          16.58$ cad
34401-86020 Kit Bumper                35.05$ cad        (this is the front and rear part kit, no handle) 

The handle is around 55$ cad ???  outch

It's sad to see lots of HP 34401A having parts removed prior selling it Ex : on Ebay

I especially choose the other damaged case for it's serial number 3146A75xxx  and firmware 07-05-02 version, i'm supposed to have the latest front panel revision pn: 34401-66512,  i know on Xdev's  34401a repairs there is an v10 (u502) eeprom dump ???

Qu1ck  the oled display creator  : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-34401a-dmm-with-leaking-segments/msg1519426/#msg1519426    is sending me an empty interface board, i will try to put his oled display in it, once i have all the parts to test with the pcb revision i have. He just tested it on the old Nec ic based display.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:19:25 am by coromonadalix »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 06:56:39 pm »
Well for the 34401 fan boys,  be warned   you will receive the new looking oval shift button front panel,  i have to battle Keysight over this since i specifically asked if it was the new or the old front panel  before paying. And i would have ordered other fitting parts too.

You will need to order the power button lever, the front and rear terminals lever, and the rubber keypad / flubber keys

Edit:

Hp Agilent now Keysight has a service note 34401A-14A.pdf  issued in september 2007   about  casing parts  ??.  Oh boy   Not happy at all. :(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:49:30 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 10:59:40 pm »
Well for the 34401 fan boys,  be warned   you will receive the new looking oval shift button front panel,  i have to battle Keysight over this since i specifically asked if it was the new or the old front panel  before paying. And i would have ordered other fitting parts too.

You will need to order the power button lever, the front and rear terminals lever, and the rubber keypad / flubber keys

Hp Agilent now Keysight has a service note issued about that.  Not happy at all. :(
That sucks. I was planning to maybe add a second 34410A in worse condition and get parts from Keysight to fix it up, but I'm glad I didn't yet. I really don't like the new round look. I'll need to look for a good one.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:01:27 pm by Mr. Scram »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 04:10:55 pm »
Ebay is your friend   loll   

My second buy this month seems very good looking,  maybe i'll rebuilt "my precious" to the old looks ?? ;)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:17:12 pm by coromonadalix »

• Super Contributor
Re: (Not Totally Solved) HP 34401A front panel and rear panel parts
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 12:21:17 am »
Damn  it's getting nowhere, i've sent them an complaint Email,  i have better service in English than French (Im native french)

I've tried many many times to call them and order the 3 new parts i need for the "new front panel look"

34401-43731   Power-on Push Rod     
34401-43732   Front/Rear Push Rod   
34401-81932  Flubber key, Keypad rubber

Shitty service to say the least ...  sorry but very dissapointed.

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 03:37:14 am »
They do not want to do business with you for some reason and they will not tell you why either :wtf: I got the same treatment, after many useless calls I just wanted to smash the fucking 34401A so please don't feel bad, move on  ;)

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:13 am »
Traditionally, Keysight has the rule to only do business to business sale for parts, at least here in Europe
The other problem is, that they only have one part number for the window with "Agilent" or "Keysight" banding
and you never know, what you get. The sales team has no influence on it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:58:54 am by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 09:28:18 am »
Traditionally, Keysight has the rule to only do business to business sale for parts, at least here in Europe
The other problem is, that they only have one part number for the window with "Agilent" or "Keysight" banding
and you never know, what you get. The sales team has no influence on it.
It's not just branding, though. They're entirely different parts, not compatible with other parts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 11:26:37 am »
After 15-16 calls and my complaint letter  they actually answered with no excuses, sent me the final parts from USA ??? no shipping fees.   

I'll have 2 kits of "new" looking front and rear panels, with their associated parts (Keysight branded windows bezel, rubber keypad, and the 2 switchs levers) ended ordering more than needed just in case, the rear panel was not listed on the web page i saw, but it is available to purchase in USA not in Canada ?. The 2x switchs levers types where in very low qty,  <10 of each ?

Snatched 2 "old" front panels on Ebay too (Square shift key)   they are supposed to be clean and good looking ;)  just saw  some used clean "old look" rubber keypad with the blue and grey shift button ??  May end buying one of them each,  stop the "1 click buy"  mouse, i order you  loll

I'll have to decide if i rebuild it with the new or classical look  loll,    tough one here loll

Damn,  the one i've snatched in Israel is already in my country, 600km from me  loll,   that's a very fast one ...  :) 

But we had Canada Post job strikes up to Dec 14 with an Huge parcels back log ... delays.

End of the story

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To answers some questions:

The Keysight story is mostly language barriers,  never felt that way, like sh!@$

I do respect any French, English, any language in this world ... the only French service i've got from Keysight came from Calagry USA ???  and i've called them in Canada 15-16 times,  please wait on the line, wait, wait,  oh sorry the lines are full, call back later ( i selected French)  re-called them, selected English, almost got the line immediately, but i'm not very good in spoken English, tried to tell them the parts numbers, have been put on hold,  nadah 

The first parts ordering where the front case parts,  but Keysight did not told me they were the "new look" even when i asked them the question many times before paying, i told them if it's the "new" version  i'll order the rubber keypad, and the 2 switchs levers who have the round buttons. Never had responses, paid and tah dah,  i have to order new parts again, including the rear cases, juuuuuuust to be sure. 

But like others, i love the old square buttons looks.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:25:37 am by coromonadalix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf