Author Topic: WTB: HP64000  (Read 2095 times)

Offline FrioTopic starter

• Contributor
WTB: HP64000
« on: January 08, 2020, 06:55:14 am »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a HP64000 in decent state.

Either the original HP64000A or the newer HP64110A systems would do, as long as they are not destroyed...

Any help sourcing one (other than the ones on eBay) is very appreciated!

Cheers,

Frio

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB: HP64000
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 08:19:13 pm »
  Wow, that's an oldie! What are you planning on doing with those?   I scrapped 7 of these about 20 years ago. I hated to do it but couldn't find any reason to keep them around any longer. I saved the manuals, SW and some of the special bits but the owner of the place where I stored them died and new owner locked everyone out and then dumped everything so I doubt that I have anything left of those systems.

Offline FrioTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 10:06:23 pm »
Yeah, that is indeed a piece of vintage hardware :)
I would like to experiment with the environment and mostly the assemblers.
My curiosity is to investigate the system's support for the 6502, which is not on par with several other micros in the HP64000.
HP didn't have a ICE for the 6502, nor C and Pascal compilers...

Offline AnOldEE

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 02:53:31 am »
Hello,
I know your posting is more than 3 years old.
Just in case you're still looking for an HP64000, ...

I have a complete HP64000 available, for FREE !
It includes:
HP-64000 terminal, qty. 1
HP-7912 disk drive, qty. 2
an HP tape backup drive
multiple HP tapes
the (Intel) 186 (maybe ??) in-circuit emulator (large pod)
And, some other stuff.

The HP-64000 terminal, disk drives, and tape backup unit all work.
(Though it has been a few months since I last turned it on.)

All of it is available to anyone for FREE.
I am located near Annapolis, Maryland, USA
If you're within a "reasonable" distance, I will even consider delivering it.
I could also help set it up and even give a short demo.
I can provide pictures on request.
I can also get more detailed information about each unit - when I get back to my office.
Manuals for this system are available on-line from an HP museum located in Australia - last time I checked.

I would love to find a home for this system before I have to sell it off as scrap metal.
Let me know.  I'll try to check this forum when I can to see if there are any responses.
Mike.

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 07:23:22 am »
I have one too that is in storage (Sydney, Australia).  I haven't started it up in more than 10 years, probably close to 20 years (I've had it since 2002).

I have 2 x HP 64000 terminals and a HP 7911P disk/tape unit.  Plus several file boxes of documentation and cables.  The 7911P is 85kg alone.
My notes list pods for: 8051, 8085, 8086, Z80, TMS 32010

One day I expect that I will have some free time and pull it out again, but if there is someone in Australia really keen on having one then feel free to contact me.

Offline Pointyhead

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 06:32:17 pm »
7912, eh?   That *is* classic.

Sometimes I wish I had kept at least one of my 7925s operational.  I had all I needed to keep them running even if I shot a bullet through a running drive.  When I figured out they accounted for 25% of my electric bill I decommissioned them and got a 5" SCSI drive.  Now all I have is the disk pack.  Looking back, it would have been fun to decommission one with a bullet.  I've never owned a gun however and this was long before Youtube (or even the Internet:-))

Offline tonykara

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 08:29:30 pm »
Did the OP ever reply to any of you with these systems??

Offline Pointyhead

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 03:28:18 am »
Not that I've seen.   Frio also posted the same request on forum.vcfed.org.   I asked him there if he had been able to acquire one.   He replied (about a week ago) that he had not.

This topic is of interest to me because I used to work in the HP emulator/analyzer R&D lab developing the 64000.   My first project was designing the 6809 emulator.  I'm an incurable dumpster diver and accumulated a lot of HP gear during my 41 years there.   Now that I'm retired I have more time to play with my toys.  I can't "bequeath" any of it (much less sell it) for ethical reasons that should be obvious unless I get current management approval.   But I've helped a few folks repair their own gear.

The retro crowd seems to be rediscovering the joys of real-time non-intrusive debugging tools like the 64000.  Back then there was no other option since JTAG debugging (which we actually pushed Motorola to create) didn't exist.   Even now, some of the stuff we did would be beyond state-of-the-art for any JTAG based debug environment.

I've even been thinking about doing a real-time 6502 in-circuit emulator for the 64000.

Offline AnOldEE

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 03:06:53 pm »
I posted my offer for the 'free' system on 31 Dec 2023 (above).
In March 2024 I donated the entire system to the "System Source Computer Museum" in Hunt Valley, MD.
https://museum.syssrc.com/
Regards,  Mike.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 03:08:28 pm by AnOldEE »

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf