Author Topic: DONE: Internal Floppy Drive for Tektronix TDS5054B  (Read 788 times)

Offline pac1085Topic starter

• Contributor
DONE: Internal Floppy Drive for Tektronix TDS5054B
« on: January 17, 2024, 01:47:46 am »
Something is wrong with the floppy drive in my TDS5054B.  For some reason it only lets you format disks as 720KB and when you try to use them in another PC, it can't read them.  Also, if you insert a 1.44MB Floppy from another PC, the Tek can't read it.  I'm assuming the drive is bad.

It looks to be a USB drive, but is connected directly to the USB pin header on the motherboard.  Unfortunately I didn't take a pic when I had it out.  It has as 4 pin connector on it, not a wide ribbon cable.

Maybe someone has a TDS5054B carcass around with a good drive in it.  Located in NY, USA.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 05:30:09 pm by pac1085 »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: WTB: Internal Floppy Drive for Tektronix TDS5054B
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 03:43:05 am »
strange ??  normally the motherboard has an 34 pin floppy connector if i recall, and slim floppy normally have an flex cable fpc connector  ... and some have an fpc to 34 pins adapter board ??

but never heard of an usb floppy in them ???

should be like the attached picture ???
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 03:48:46 am by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 04:28:54 am »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 11:24:06 am »
wow   never saw this one

a new learning,    while i checked on some tds 5054B manual  they stated a flex cable ???

maybe some  usb floppy at low price would have done ???  essentially the same physical size,  but screws ???

good  luck

bookmarked your last ebay link  .... thks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:20:21 pm by coromonadalix »

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 06:20:01 pm »
Something is wrong with the floppy drive in my TDS5054B.  For some reason it only lets you format disks as 720KB and when you try to use them in another PC, it can't read them.  Also, if you insert a 1.44MB Floppy from another PC, the Tek can't read it.  I'm assuming the drive is bad.

If your drive can format and then read the disk on the same machine but but they can't be read on another computer then I suspect that your drive is fine but it doesn't like your disks. I've found that some of the old 1.44 Mb drives will only work with 1.44 disks and they will not work with 720 disks even if you tell the system to format it as 720k.  Try using disks that are manufactured as the same capacity as your drive.

I have some HP Integrals and other disk drives that will only work with 720K manufactured disks.  PCs will use 1.44 or 720 disk but some machines are more picky about matching the disks and the drives.

Many of the LeCroy scopes used a 3 1/2", 1/3 height, floppy disk made by Citizen and the rubber drive belts used in those have ALL gone bad by this time. That drive also uses the same fine pitch ribbon cable (26 conductor IIRC) and I have replaced them with NEC and other FDs that use the same connector.  That is was widely discussed in this forum in the past and on the LeCroy forums and websites.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 06:25:54 pm »
yeah  had this problem recently,  my usb floppy would not read 720k  floppies,    some had the 1.44 meg  "patched hole trick"  to mimic 720k  some worked and some not

even forcing some formatting parameters  ....   

loll  even finding 1.44meg nowadays is kinda hard ...

unless your  1.44, 720k  detection switch is bad or damaged ?

Online Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 03:52:02 am »
  I still find NIB 1.44Mb disks occasionally but finding NIB 720K disks is almost impossible, especially if you need them now.  A few years ago I started picking up every box of new 3 1/2 disks that I could find.  They do turn up occasionally in thrift stores, garage sales and at those junky looking surplus stores.  FWIW I've run into a few computers that won't use USED disks and they won't even reformat them, but new unused disks will work.

For those that aren't native English speakers, NIB = New In Box.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 05:29:58 pm »
So, the replacement drive I linked above arrived today (the gray "Macally" Teac). I swapped it in, all I had to do was pop the bezel off - otherwise it's identical.  Installed it into the scope and it resolved the issue.  It appears my original drive was indeed bad.

So, if anyone needs a drive or wants a spare for your TDS5054B, 5104B, etc, nows your chance to grab one cheap lol.

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf