Author Topic: WTB: Old/spare budget scope (AU)  (Read 1347 times)

Offline zykrahTopic starter

• My GitHub
WTB: Old/spare budget scope (AU)
« on: September 30, 2023, 08:27:12 am »
Hi all, looking for a cheap scope for debugging my electronics projects  :)

I do hobbyist PCB work, designing PCBs for enthusiast keyboards, you can take a peek on my GitHub (@zykrah) if you're curious. I am currently building up my arsenal of equipment and was looking for a scope to debug some of the more complicated parts of it (keyboard PCBs are admittedly simple), as well as future electronics projects. I asked an older EE friend of mine (do you guys know josha??) and they said I might be able to grab something cheaper off here, so I'm trying my luck  :P

Not picky on model (I don't know too much about scopes anyways), would probably make things easier if in Australia. I'm in Sydney.

Cheers

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: WTB: Old/spare budget scope (AU)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 08:37:48 am »
I had to move this one AGAIN last week $60+ whatever it will cost to post it. But I will make sure is stays under $100 regardless as it needs a good home.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/wtb-analog-oscilloscope-(oldworkingcheap)/msg2767378/#msg2767378
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• My GitHub
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 09:57:25 am »
Cheers, it definitely looks intriguing, but I doubt i'd have the space for a unit that big. Will keep in mind if I can't find anything else though. Thanks :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 12:41:36 pm »
All of the older ones with CRT's are going to be that deep some of the slightly older ones are also really really heavy and larger in frontal area as well :-DD . Getting something more modern (LCD, Rigol, Siglent etc) in Oz of a decent standard will run $250+ used based on what has been going around.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 12:58:25 pm »
I would not buy today such an old crt scope for around $50-$100. they are simply not worth it
there are so much things you cannot do with these scopes
if you learn electronic, you will deal with analog, but mainly digital signals.
I would spare some money to get an entry level rigol or siglent around $400, with them you will really be able to learn something in today's electronic.

• My GitHub
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 03:42:33 pm »
I see, thanks for the direction. Should i keep my eyes peeled on this forum for something then?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 02:10:07 am »
... and there are so many things you can do with these scopes.  They are WAY better than no scope.

Analogue scopes are still able to work with digital signals and I have encountered one or two occasions where they could do something that would be problematic for a digital scope of the same stated bandwidth.
Example: I had a 27MHz RC toy that I wanted to check and all I had was a 15MHz analogue scope.  I fed the 27MHz signal into it and was able to view it in sufficient detail to identify the signal protocol as being of pulse duration modulation.  Yes, the level was down and quantitative measurements were out of the question for amplitude - but time measurements were quite doable.

I also find it useful to learn ones first steps with an analogue scope.  Their operation is based on simple, very demonstrable principles of sweep (horizontal) and deflection (vertical) which can lay down the intuitive understanding of why scopes work that way.  They are also good for learning the limitations of scopes BEFORE getting into the additional considerations needed when working with digital scopes.  I believe it is useful to understand the limitations, so that you learn what features are important to YOU, so you are far better equipped to go shopping for a more advanced unit.

JMHO.

They also tend to be cheap - and if you kill it by doing something stupid, then a $50 loss is way less painful than a $500 loss.

And, yes, analogue scopes will pretty much ALL be as deep, due to the need to accommodate the CRT.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 02:17:35 am »
I see, thanks for the direction. Should i keep my eyes peeled on this forum for something then?

See if this topic gets you something to suit.

Very occasionally they turn up on Gumtree and in the case of an LCD one the seller is likely open to postage, the obvious downside is there is near zero protection if you get a dodgy seller. evilbay is often  just a luck thing, a quick check last night turned up zero worth buying for a sensible price but you do sometimes see a buy it now with a sensible number on them. If you do farcebook then marketplace I guess might get you one as well.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 02:29:59 am »
- and if you kill it by doing something stupid, then a $50 loss is way less painful than a $500 loss.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 05:20:02 am »
... and there are so many things you can do with these scopes.  They are WAY better than no scope.

Analogue scopes are still able to work with digital signals and I have encountered one or two occasions where they could do something that would be problematic for a digital scope of the same stated bandwidth.
Example: I had a 27MHz RC toy that I wanted to check and all I had was a 15MHz analogue scope.  I fed the 27MHz signal into it and was able to view it in sufficient detail to identify the signal protocol as being of pulse duration modulation.  Yes, the level was down and quantitative measurements were out of the question for amplitude - but time measurements were quite doable.

I also find it useful to learn ones first steps with an analogue scope.  Their operation is based on simple, very demonstrable principles of sweep (horizontal) and deflection (vertical) which can lay down the intuitive understanding of why scopes work that way.  They are also good for learning the limitations of scopes BEFORE getting into the additional considerations needed when working with digital scopes.  I believe it is useful to understand the limitations, so that you learn what features are important to YOU, so you are far better equipped to go shopping for a more advanced unit.

JMHO.

They also tend to be cheap - and if you kill it by doing something stupid, then a $50 loss is way less painful than a $500 loss.

And, yes, analogue scopes will pretty much ALL be as deep, due to the need to accommodate the CRT.

I have recently done something similar with a little Jaycar 10MHz single channel 2" 'scope.
My Icom 575a ham radio had failed, & as it has two bands "10 metres" & "6 metres" I wasn't expecting much.

The IF in that radio is around 9MHz, which is obviously towards the top of the 'scopes bandwidth, but easily viewable, & I could even see 28MHz, so managed to find my way through Icom's convoluted circuitry.

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 08:05:40 pm »
Depending on how long you can wait, I'd expect the availability of the Rigol DHO804 to cause DS1054z's to start showing up on the used market.  I think there has been one or two on this board recently.  Rigol NA has already dropped the price of them to $315 USD.  Used ones are going for less than $250 USD on eBay right now (though a lot of them charged around $60 shipping - look out for that) if that's anywhere close to your budget.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there are some clearance style deals on entry level 8-bit scopes coming toward the holidays.

• My GitHub
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 01:49:30 pm »
Will look out for them in that case o7

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf